Start by marking “Smells Like Treasure” as Want to Read:
Smells Like Treasure

Smells Like Treasure (Smells Like Dog #2)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
When Homer Pudding receives a mysterious note emblazoned with the letters L.O.S.T., he knows the moment he has been waiting for has arrived. It is time to meet the society of Legends, Objects, Secrets, and Treasures, take his Uncle's place, and become a true adventurer.

With his best friend, Dog, at his side, everything seems to be going as planned...until an unexpected op
Published May 10th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

Divergent by Veronica RothOkay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtWonderstruck by Brian SelznickBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta SepetysA Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
School Library Journal Best Fiction 2011
12th out of 29 books — 11 voters
This Totally Bites! by Ruth AmesThe Ghoul Next Door by Lisi HarrisonMonster High by Lisi HarrisonCabin Fever by Jeff KinneySuper Sweet 13 by Helen Perelman Bernstein
Awesome great reads
76th out of 108 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia
May 28, 2011 Julia rated it liked it
This book was absolutely positively spectacular! It was so exciting! This book's main character is Homer Pudding, whose uncle was in The Secret Society of Legends, Objects, Secrets, and Treasures (He held one of the 12 chairs). After Uncle Drake Pudding gets eaten by a tortoise, Homer inherits his chair in the secret society. Homer is very excited that he got a letter from the society, saying that his time has come, because he needed the society's help to fulfill his lifelong dream, finding Rump ...more
Sandy
Jul 14, 2015 Sandy rated it liked it
Another fine book by Suzanne Selfors. Once again Homer and Dog are off on another adventure. Homer is excited because he's about to be accepted into a secret society, taking the place of his deceased uncle. But, Lorelei (a frenemy we met in book one) is challenging him! So the society sets them a challenge: whoever finds the hidden membership coin first will become a member of the society. Because they are children, they get to have a mentor, someone who is already a member. Both Homer and Lorel ...more
Audrey R
Mar 25, 2015 Audrey R rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Selfors tells the story of Homer Pudding and his best friend Dog on their adventure to claim the L.O.S.T society’s last membership chair in her mystery, “Smells Like Treasure.” Homer Pudding and his dog are always causing trouble. The only thing he really cares about is being a treasure hunter and someday he will be. Monday morning Homer received a letter from L.O.S.T with four words saying “Your time has come,” (pg. 14) and Homer knew what this meant. He was finally going to be a real ...more
Nick
Aug 21, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how Lorelei just shows up and claims the coin to be hers
Ms.Gaye
Oct 08, 2011 Ms.Gaye rated it really liked it
Smells Like Treasure by Suzanne Selfors is the second book about Homer Winslow Pudding and his treasure-sniffing basset hound named "Dog". The first book was Smells Like Dog.
You don't need to read the first book to enjoy this second one, but you'll want to! Homer is a great admirer of his recently deceased Uncle Drake, a member of the secret society LOST (Legends, Objects, Secrets, and Treasures). When Homer receives a letter from the society offering him a chance to become a treasure hunter him
carrietracy
Jun 05, 2014 carrietracy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was super cute! Not earth-shattering, not grown-ups will want to read it just for its own sake wonderful, but still, it was totally sweet. There's a treasure hunt, strong, smart characters of both genders and a lovable Bassett Hound. Kids that want adventure with plenty of excitement but no actual horrible outcomes will really enjoy this one. Due to it's lack of objectionable content and commitment to nothing terrible happening (the foreword promises us that the dog will live) it will make ...more
Spencer
Nov 06, 2014 Spencer rated it it was amazing
I think Smells Like Treasure was a amazing book. It made me want to keep reading it every time I picked up the book. It was one of those books that made me think and feel for the character and his friends. I am already reading Suzanne Selfors next book and I am liking it just as much. Smells Like Treasure was an amazing book and I highly recommend you to read this book.
Barbara
Mar 12, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
When Homer Pudding gets an invitation in the mail, he is understandably thrilled since it contains his invitation to join a secret society of adventurers and leave his father's goat farm behind. But Homer must prove himself in order to claim his uncle's chair in the society, and even with the help of Dog, his secret weapons, who can sniff out treasure, it won't be easy to defeat another rival for the chair. The book is filled with adventure and moments of peril, but Homer keeps his wits and rema ...more
Maclean H
Nov 14, 2012 Maclean H rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I am currently reading Smells Like Tresure by: Suzanne Selfors. It is about a boy named Hommer Pudding. Hommer lives in in a goat farm. When his uncle dies, because he was murdered by a mutant Tortuse Hommer has to finish his uncles secret quest to find Rumpold Smellers Tresure. I really like how Hommer is being very brave and conducting a trip that is risking his life just for his satasfactory. I was suprised when Hommer's parents let him go on a trip with someone his parents don't know. I was ...more
Lisa
Dec 21, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is the second in the trilogy about Homer Pudding and his dog, Dog, and their treasure hunting adventures. Homer receives a note letting him know that it is time - he is to come to a meeting of L.O.S.T. (the Society of Legends, Objects, Secrets, and Treasures) and become a member and true treasure hunter. But there is an unexpected opponent to challenge his spot in the society. So begins a dangerous quest to find a treasure, the one finding it will be given membership in L.O.S.T.

This is a cu
Miss
Aug 20, 2015 Miss rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids 8-12
Cute! This is book two but I read it first. If you don't mind your hero getting in trouble unfairly now and again you will enjoy it. Great escapism and day dreaming fodder.
Michele
another fun adventure with Homer and Dog... Homer stays true to himself even if it means he won't win...
Gwen Staab
Jan 19, 2015 Gwen Staab rated it it was amazing
She is an awesome author! very funny. my kids love her books
Michael Rhode
Feb 02, 2014 Michael Rhode rated it liked it
Shelves: library
"Our former records keeper was crushed by a rogue filing cabinet. We needed someone with excellent language skills," Zelda explained. Page 121.
Andria
May 25, 2014 Andria rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2014-kids
Romping good fun of a mystery. Similar to MVP.
Brenda
Jul 26, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
I really do like Homer Winslow Pudding and Dog.
Scott Williams
3da1bba4-d99b-49cc-ab0b-a544c1bd31a8
Julie Quinonez
May 19, 2015 Julie Quinonez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as "smells Like Dog," but was an enjoyable, relaxing read during lunch.
Peter
Jan 13, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, middle-grade
"Smells Like Treasure" is the sequel to "Smells Like Dog," both of which AL and I really enjoyed reading. It's the story of Homer, a slightly nerdy kid who loves maps, and Dog, his treasure-hunting late uncle's mutt, and their quest to win fame and fortune as treasure hunters. Very cleverly written and perfect for late elementary/early middle school readers. 2011/20.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing
i like the book because it is funny at the end and a little bit of teamwork.its about a boy named Homer wants to get in a treasure hunting club named L.O.S.T.but first he has to challenge a girl who wants to get in the club too.so their mission is to get the coin and bring it back.along the way Homer finds crystals that play songs and a bear.
StorySnoops
Sep 06, 2011 StorySnoops rated it liked it
This sequel to Smells Like Dog is equally as fun and action-packed. This humorous and page-turning adventure series is thoroughly amusing and fans will enjoy the recurring characters, as well as some hilarious new characters introduced in Smells Like Treasure... (click for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Robin
Feb 10, 2012 Robin rated it it was ok
At just over 400 pages, I'm a little unsure how many of the kids I talk to will read this book. It is a mystery and it includes an unpopular kid and an odd dog who team up to find treasure. It is a sequel of sorts but I didn't feel like I was missing anything by not reading the first one before I read this one.
Kathi
Feb 18, 2012 Kathi rated it liked it
This was a YA book that I picked up at the ALA conference last Jan with my sister. It was a pretty simple read and if I were a kid, I would have probably enjoyed it more. It did have a dog in it and I always like books about dogs!
Shauna
Sep 24, 2013 Shauna rated it really liked it
A fun read geared mostly towards older Elementary school age kids. It's the sequel to "Smells Like Dog" and will inevitably have another book written in the series eventually. I would describe the genre as a mystery with humor.
Angela
Nov 24, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks
Another crazy fast-paced adventure with Homer Pudding and his treasure-smelling dog. Humor and wacky characters abound. A new friend is made and an old friend/nemesis returns. I'm sure we'll see more from this duo.
Bridget
Sep 04, 2012 Bridget rated it it was amazing
A great adventure story. I really enjoyed Smells Like Dog and was very happy to see a sequel. It was just as funny and exciting as book one and I can't wait to try and "sell" the kids on both of them.
Joelle Anthony
Aug 26, 2013 Joelle Anthony rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this series. I keep thinking about it, even though I finished a couple of days ago and have started something new. Selfors truly does know how to suck you in. Highly recommended!
Steve
Aug 03, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
This book continues the adventure of Homer and his treasure smelling dog. In this book, Homer continues to work toward his goal of becoming a member of L.O.S.T. with a few surprises along the way.
Heather
Jan 04, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced and very funny. Although I enjoyed Smells Like Dog, I liked this second book a whole lot more. I am excited to read the next installment of Homer's and Dog's wild adventures.
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 22, 2014 Stefanie Kellum rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Homer and Dog are almost officially treasure hunters in this adorably funny sequel. I can't wait for book three. :)

P.S.: I wish I could get my basset hound to sniff for treasure.
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • New Lands (The Chronicles of Egg, #2)
  • Hide and Seek (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #2)
  • The Island of Thieves
  • The School for the Insanely Gifted
  • The Lost Treasure of Tuckernuck
  • Top Ten Ways to Die (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #8)
  • Brother from a Box
  • The Seventh Level
  • Fear Itself
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • Legend of the Ghost Dog
  • Neil Flambé and the Marco Polo Murders (The Neil Flambé Capers #1)
  • The Lamb Who Came for Dinner
  • Pick Your Poison (Ruby Redfort, #5)
  • Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Cows in the Kitchen
Suzanne Selfors lives on an island near Seattle where it rains all the time, which is why she tends to write about cloudy, moss-covered, green places.
She's married, has two kids, and writes full time.
Her favorite writers are Kurt Vonnegut, Charles Dickens, and most especially, Roald Dahl.

Please visit her at www.suzanneselfors.com to learn more about her books.

More about Suzanne Selfors...

Smells Like Dog (3 books)
  • Smells Like Dog