Start by marking “Song In The Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar” as Want to Read:
Song In The Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar

Song In The Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  3,821 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Lanen Kaelar has dreamed of dragons all her life. But not just dreaming, for Lanen believes in dragons.

Her family mocks her that dragons are just a silly myth. A legend. But Lanen knows better. And she means to prove it. One day she sets out on a dangerous voyage to the remote West to find the land of the True Dragons.

What she discovers is a land of real dragons more beau
Published March 14th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Song In The Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song In The Silence

Jabberwocky
This book is a total fluff book. And I love it to pieces.

As a young teen, I scoured the library for every fantasy book involving dragons. I loved dragon fantasies like some other people like werewolves or vampires (I'm looking at you, Twilight fans!). And some of these books were very silly and fluffy. But they usually didn't have too much romance, because I thought romance was altogether too gooey and distracted too much from the much more important business of fighting monsters and having adv
Natasha
All of you who love science fiction, a fantastic plot, a tear jerking love story, and beautiful imagery and writing all rolled into one... look no further. This series has it all, and Elizabeth Kerner had me hooked within the first page. The tale of Lanen as she follows her dreams to the dragon isle is one that I revisit often. It never fails to invoke the same emotional reaction it always did, appealing to me both as a young adult(when I first read it), and an adult(When I read it the second... ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
So many books, so little time! I think I am done with this one, not so much because after 70 pages very little had happened as because the protagonist is just too stupid to live. She finds out that she might be the daughter of a guy who's promised to sacrifice the life of his firstborn child in exchange for power. Mere days after this revelation, she decides it would be a good idea to hang out with a strange older man who seems unduly interested in her (we've already established that she's not t ...more
Jeffrey Grant
This book had kind of a slow start, but once it got going it was an absolute joy to read.
It put me in mind of Mercedes Lackey's early Valdemar books or The Fairy Godmother, tending toward the tone of the latter; there's a mix of conversation, mundane "living life" moments, and fantastical action. Also, like the books I mentioned, a romance story features as central to the plot and a lot of time is spent on it, though it doesn't become the whole story like in Romeo and Juliet.
The ending may com
Janet
Song in the Silence is a straightforward pursuing-a-dream journey story that avoids the chest-thumping conventions of typical epic fantasy capital-Q Quests. Kerner's heroine has feminine goals and strengths, rather than succeeding like a male hero would. Perhaps when writing this story in the early 1990s, Kerner was sick of fantasy women warriors who, no matter how skilled, were still inevitably portrayed as busty sex goddesses in leather lingerie, and wanted to create a different kind of female ...more
Kelly D.
Apr 30, 2007 Kelly D. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy and dragon lovers
One of my first favorite books recommded to me by a friend. After re-reading it several times, I'm able to pick out the good and the bad. 1.) The characters are absolutely lovable and cherishable. Their personalities shine radiantly through Kerner's writing. 2.) The story is compelling and romantic...though perhaps a little too neatly wrapped up. But a happy ending will please most audiences. 3.) The writing, in and of itself, is not perfect...But this can be overlooked by the former 2 points.

T
Anya
Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner is a bardic high fantasy about a young woman believing in legends and finding much more than she ever hoped possible, including adventure, demons, dragons and love of an unexpected variety
This was a Guest Post over at Once Upon A Time and I’m reposting just in case you missed it :)
When I was at the library a few months ago I saw a pamphlet celebrating Dragon Week and squeed with delight. OMG all I LOVE dragons :D. So I decided to look for one of the titles
Wyrdness
I found this story to be somewhere between the usual type of dragon filled fantasy and a fantasy romance with dragons. There's the signs of a far reaching Quest to Save the World, but for the most part things seem to revolve around the budding and bizarre relationship between Lanan and Akhor.

I say bizarre because she's a (fairly) regular woman, even if everyone around her seems to think that being tall and strong makes her freakish, (view spoiler)
Victoria
There are a lot of dragon stories out there; tons of fantasy and sci-fi fiction about people and dragons, magic, sorcerers, demons, quests. It's pretty basic. But this novel stood out, maybe because I hadn't heard about it before or since I read it. And I really, really liked it.

Lanen Kaelar is a helper on her family's farm...until her father dies and she is set free. Off in search of adventure, accompanied by the roguish Jamie, who essentially raised her, Lanen heads for the coast. In her mind,
St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ ||||
May 22, 2012 St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: me
Recommended to St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures by: me
I have fond memory of this reading, so...I bought a copy from this big posh book store on orchard road in singapore . It was called Kinokuniya or something japanese. The author is not very big. But I had been feeling like a good fantasy book to read. This turned out to be my first fantasy full scale novel that I read. I was majorly fascinated to find out that i was a dragon according to chinese mythology, some crap but hey it's the most revered sign of their zodiac and there is even a festival o ...more
Neil
I picked up this book second hand from a charity shop. I picked it up, examined it, put it down and walked away from it. But I kept thinking about about, so I went back and bought it. It's magic was already working on me.
What magic? Something about the title, the cover, the map, the beginning of the story, the voice of Lanen. They all spoke to me from the beginning, and I was spellbound.
On page 76 came my Great Criticism. I had soaked Lanen into me, and for 76 pages we had followed her, in her
Alexis
Lanen is a girl who has always known she was meant to travel. When her father dies she discovers that he was not in fact her true father. This question of her father's identity is a thread that is woven throughout the book- mostly accompanied by the question of if she has a villain's blood in her veins or that of a good man. Lanen departs from her father's farm and starts on a journey to find the Dragons- the Greater Kindred, not the small horse-sized Lesser Kindred that are so common in her lan ...more
Cideon
I was proud to have finished this novel in 7 days. Every free moment I had, I just needed to use it for reading! It was written clearly, not simply though, without any time wasted on useless bits that did not work to fulfill the storyline. Lanen's adventures were fascinating and her voice so true to her character. Jaime, Akor, heck all the wonderful characters are themselves rather than just simple placeholders you unfortunately often find in fantasy novels. Even the villain. The world was rich ...more
Michelle
This is essentially Twilight with a dragon instead of a vampire. Yes, really. If that appeals to you, then you'll like this, but if not, you should probably avoid this novel. Lanen is a dull author's pet, her dragon love interest is equally bland, and the plot is full of cliches. Worldbuilding's okay, though.
Sadie Mason-Smith
I originally read this in high school, and reread it recently. This book series features some fantastic MOTHERLOVING DRAGONS, but is inundated with the kind of overly-flowery language that tends to show up in teenager's first fanfic attempts and fantasy genre authors who just really really want to be Tolkien.

I love the plot premise and the issues of a cross-species Epic Love for people who aren't Jack Harkness (this relationship totally passes the Jack Harkness rules of "Can we get it on?" - eve
Zsofi
Jan 02, 2011 Zsofi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes dragons
Dragons, and a strong female protagonist, what more could I ask for?
A female protagonist is important for me (sorry, I really do not mean to be offensive with that, it's just the way I enjoy the books I read), and friendship between dragons and humans is a winner with me too.
Amanda
i stopped reading this book after a few pages because, frankly, it bored me. i did not have the attention span to finish reading it. maybe if i wholeheartedly applied myself i would like it more, but for now i'll just leave it unrated.
MJ
The idea for this book was quite interesting, but the writing was just boring - and then in the middle of the book the headlines on who the narrative belonged to - that was just tacky.
Susan Barlow
This might be one of the worst books I've ever read! this is why you don't blindly take recommendations from friends of friends of coworkers.
Ali
I read Song in the Silence when I was thirteen or so. At the time, I loved it for the epic scope and moreover, for Lanen and Akhor/Varien. On a nostalgic whim, I read the first couple pages on Amazon and I realized (with the benefit of a decade's experience) that the prose is terribly purple. It's possible there are some positive traits beneath the excessive description; I hope so, if only because I was convinced of it at one point in my life. I don't have the forbearance to check, however, and ...more
Lesley
Weird writing style. But more importantly, a human and a dragon falling in love at first sight? I just couldn't get past that one.
Kimberly Jaeger
Honestly could not get past page 150- was bored with it.......can not recommend this book.
Shamela
I actually forgot I was reading this. A sign to move on to something else I think.
Megan F. 8 Rdg
I rated this book 5 stars. (If I could, 10, but sadly I can't. :D)

This book is about Lanen Kaelar, and her journey to the Dragon Isles. What she finds there is behind her imagination and hope, and it will be an adventure she will never forget.

I absolutely love this book because of the plot and characters, and how the author wrote it. The way it was written gave you a chance to see what almost all the characters were feeling sometime throughout the book. This is a MUST read, and by far, my fav
Zaelyx
In case it wasn't already obvious to those who know me, I'll state it outright: I've always had a very special place in my heart for dragons. To me, they are the very quintessence and pinnacle of fantasy. I particularly enjoy when the creatures are endowed with an intellect equal to or greater than their human counterparts, and it's nice when they lack the capricious brutality all too commonly attributed to them.

I certainly identified with Lanen early in the story. She dreamt of dragons and poss
Khue-tu Tran
One of the worse and stupidest fantasy books I ever read. Both the protagonists go so sue and stu, I almost burned the library copy. Heroine was seriously irritating and Heroine's mother has got to be one of the stupidest woman I ever read about.

Only character I liked was the dragon's unfortunate female admirer. What she sees in him, I will never understand though.
Jae
Despite its strange content, this book was amazing and it was my favorite book to read back in high school. It was fast paced and it was fun to read. The characters were believable. I really enjoyed this book and its high fantasy settings. It has strange content though, so read it with a grain of salt.
Kerri Simpson
Now if only this could really happen. lol Not so much dealing with her father/demon part but the dragon. :) I love this book. It was a fun adventure to read. And I ♡ dragons. Seriously misunderstood creatures. lol. Its nice to have a book that delves into something different. I need to own this.
Martha
This was one of those reads that transported me. I no longer was at home, I was talking with dragons. It was beautiful. My adventurous, hermit side kicked in on high gear. I just wanted to travel and explore the world.
Tina
This is a great dragon novel! My copy has a lot of whiteout in it to cover up all the swearing, but if you can find an edited version, this book is definitely worth reading.
  • Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)
  • The Last Dragonlord (Dragonlord, #1)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1)
  • Dragon Champion (Age of Fire #1)
  • The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1)
  • Aurian (Artefacts of Power, #1)
  • The Outstretched Shadow (Obsidian Mountain, #1)
  • The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1)
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
Elizabeth Kerner (1958–) is a fantasy writer. She is the author of Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred, and Redeeming the Lost, the initial trilogy of a series based upon humans re-establishing contact with dragons, who fled mortal lands thousands of years ago for reasons unknown.

An American by birth, she moved to Scotland in 1976 to attend the University of St. Andrews. She obtained an MA (Ho
More about Elizabeth Kerner...
The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2) Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)