Start by marking “Twilight Robbery (Fly by Night, #2)” as Want to Read:
Twilight Robbery (Fly by Night, #2)

Twilight Robbery (Fly by Night #2)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Mosca Mye and Eponymous Clent are in trouble again. Escaping disaster by the skin of their teeth, they find refuge in Toll, the strange gateway town where visitors may neither enter nor leave without paying a price. By day, the city is well-mannered and orderly; by night, it's the haunt of rogues and villains. Wherever there's a plot, there's sure to be treachery, and wher ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Daria
Mosca Mye, Eponymous Clent, and "winged warzone" Saracen are good at what they do. They're in the business of Stretching the Truth and Then Running Like Hell. Mosca and Clent, whose principal love is the spoken and written word, like to use one word too many. And we all know that using one word too many is dangerous; it makes quick the clamping of the shackle, it makes swift the dagger in the night. It causes cities to catch fire and to tumble into revolution.

Running from the trail of destructi
Betsy
Apr 04, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I see it, reviewing a sequel is a peculiar enterprise. One can hardly review a book without suggesting to the reader that they read the previous novel as well. And in the rare case where the sequel is better than its predecessor, one’s positive review is sort of moot if it seems as though it’s recommending the first book in any way. This is my convoluted way of saying that I don’t like reviewing them. Heck, I don’t even like to even read sequels half the time. Usually when I do I simply get m ...more
Carol.
Nov 16, 2013 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone willing to take a YA chance
Recommended to Carol. by: me! such good taste!

Troubles again! Unfortunately, Mosca Mye, Eponymous Clent and the goose Saracen have run into so many complications with their latest scheme that they’ve run through the first, second, and third back-up plans.

“Quaternary plan!’ gasped Clent. ‘Creative panic!’”

But at least Saracen is on their side, although Mosca needs to be cautioned by Clent against unleashing the power of the goose. “‘Be it even so, now is the time for calm calculation… and not for sending your web-footed apocalypse on a one-g
Hallie
May 14, 2011 Hallie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Wow. What to say? I thought this might well have been better than Fly-by-Night, though it's a tough call. While I missed the coffeehouses of the original (among the coolest settings I've ever read), Toll was astonishing. The relationship between Mosca and Mr Clent is also just as wonderfully depicted, and it's nice to see them that bit closer to admitting their mutual trust (in as much as either of them can trust or be trusted!) and affection (well-mixed with constant exasperation!). The new cha ...more
Hirondelle
Mar 03, 2011 Hirondelle rated it it was amazing
Yay, I was looking forward to this, and it was just as good, if not even better than I hoped.

The second adventure of Mosca Mye and Eponymous Clent, and it is IMO standalone-ish, the references to past events is just so to explain the relationship between characters and the worldbuilding essentials are very flawlessly introduced. It is also IMO better written than Fly by Night (which I already liked very much), the pace is better, the plot so marvelously tight, less meandering, the setting even m
TheBookSmugglers
Twilight Robbery/Fly Trap , the sequel to the excellent Fly By Night is a Shiny Beacon of Hope in the middle of a rather dreary week here at The Book Smugglers’ HQ.

A few months after leaving Mandelion, Mosca Mye and Eponymous Clent (as well as the murderous Goose Saracen) are on the run again. Unfortunately for the three amigos, Clent’s past shenanigans (lies!cons!theft!) prevent them from going anywhere near any of the towns nearby. Their chosen destination for the time being is a place called
April
Homicidal pet goose is a magical phrase to me. It pretty much guarantees I will pick up a book, given my affinity for crotchety characters. Y’all Fly Trap (Twilight Robbery in the UK) by Frances Hardinge is a door stopper, clocking in at 584 pages but reads faster than books half it’s size. It’s the sequel to Fly By Night but you don’t need to have read that to appreciate Fly Trap. Personally, I did NOT read Fly By Night and got through Fly Trap just fine.

Read the rest of my review here
Cara M
May 05, 2013 Cara M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me far too long to finish such an amazing book, but this morning I hit the fulcrum and couldn't stop. It is a perfect sequel to Fly-By-Night, and is so impossibly smart and hard and real and funny that I'm always bewildered that it ends up in the juvenile section when it's more mature and well-thought out than most books for adults.
As always it starts with small people with small problems that become not-quite-heroes, affecting the fates of cities. And there are no better not-quite-heroe
John
Feb 28, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
Sequel to FLY BY NIGHT, and that should be 'nuff said. Hardinge shows a real gift for crafting oddball but pointedly cogent societies, and here she does it again with the town of Toll---a strange double settlement of prosperous burghers who are only out after dawn, and impoverished, fear-ridden, despised residents allowed to come out after dusk. Her central characters are richly imagined too---but once again she doesn't give that wonderfully homicidal goose Saracen enough page time!
Leslie
“Just between you and me,” Mosca whispered, “radicalism is all about walkin’ on the grass.” (Fly Trap, 337)

Reading Frances Hardinge’s books are a dangerous proposition. I recommend them to everyone aged 10 and up. In Lost Conspiracy there is colonialism, cannibalism, and genocide. In Fly By Night there is religious/political terrorism, atheism, and book burning. In Fly By Night’s sequel Fly Trap there is more oppression, at least one decapitation, a lot of theft and lying, and the return of “the
Judy
Aug 07, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults

While reading Fly Trap, I was struck by how fantasy, in all its many forms and for any given age group, just might be the most fun one can have as a reader. Who can ever forget their first reading of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or The Children of the Amulet? Portals to other worlds, strange creatures, and odd twists of time are such lovely flights of imagination in which not everything has to make sense. Always there is the delicious thrill of evil lurking, and always a hero or heroine
Eva Mitnick
Sep 09, 2011 Eva Mitnick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
In Fly Trap (sequel to Fly by Night), the town of Toll is really two towns in one - Toll-by-day and Toll-by-night. At dusk, the citizens of daytime Toll scurry into their homes and bolt their doors, not daring to come out until dawn. In fact, they couldn't even if they wanted to - their doors have been locked from the outside as well, and entire facades of buildings shifted so that the daylight doors are blocked while the night-time doors are revealed. Then it's time for the the nightlings to co ...more
Shanshad Whelan
There are few authors that can leave me with no idea what the story is going to be and how it will go. Most stories generally have a framework that takes me all of a chapter to recognize--not that I mind. But I can't do it with Hardinge's work beyond the most basic recognition of a con artist caper story. I never know what's going to happen or how the characters will react. Hardinge keeps me reading with no ground under me to expect: I'm running hard to keep up with Mosca and Clent as surprised ...more
Khairul H.
May 13, 2012 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very well written and with lots of twists and turns in what is essentially a 'rescue a kidnapped damsel' storyline. The world of Mosca Mye has been compared to Pratchett's Discworld and that's no bad thing. Both have created worlds that resemble pre-Industrial Revolution Britain and both authors have a way with words (although Pratchett leans more towards irreverent humour and puns).

This is the first time I've read anything by this author and though Twilight Robbery (called Fly Trap in the US) i
Beth
Jun 11, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Wow, I loved this book. I am still giddy thinking about it. Fly Trap is crazy. In a really, really good way, though. The plot was smart and clever and completely over-the-top. I loved how it added to the first book's worldbuilding, too. From the moment I opened it, saw the chapter titles, and realized she would be talking more about the Beloved, I was hooked. The explanation of that world's belief system was one of my favorite parts of the first book. Also: the writing is still fantastic and com ...more
Maša
The good: We're back to the delightful and resourceful band of characters (and water fowls, or Winged Warzones, if you like) in yet another daring and despair-ridden adventure!
The language is still juicy, metaphors fitting, character growth evident, plot ever-moving and the banter gloriously fun.

The bad: Still, it was dragged in the beginning and the plot was not as seamless as in the first book.

The ugly: Zip, nada, zilch.

Debbie Gascoyne
Jul 18, 2012 Debbie Gascoyne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, 2012
This was great fun. I liked it better than Fly By Night, if only because I liked Mosca Mye better, and thought that the relationship between her and Eponymous Clent was being developed in interesting ways. I also liked the whole concept of the city of Toll and the way it was divided into Day and Night. And I so much love the goose. He is a force to be reckoned with. I feel certain there will be more about these characters, and I look forward to it.
Lucy
Apr 26, 2011 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middlegrade, 2011
Mosca Mye, Saracen and Eponymous Clent remain my all-time favorites. I loved this book to bits--the language is just so delicious I wanted to read it aloud to everyone I met.

But perhaps the best part (especially to this reader, who hadn't even realized that there was going to be a SECOND book starring Miss Mosca Mye) was the hint at the end that we may even be treated to another Mosca adventure.

I live in hope.
Jade
Mar 28, 2015 Jade rated it it was ok
I couldn't actually finish this book because I found it incredibly dull! Maybe it was because I haven't read the previous book, but it didn't suck me in like other books. I have to admit the start was interesting but towards the middle and end just got boring.

I must try and finish it at some point.
Hayley
(Called Fly Trap over here). As fabulous as Fly by Night: inventive and intricate plot, wholly developed and developing characters and rich, complex and snortingly funny language. I love Mosca, Eponymous and the webfooted apocalypse Saracen like I love Harry, Ron and Hermione. Do we have to wait 6 years for the next one?
Mylisa Larsen
I always read Frances Hardinge's Mosca Mye books with deep authorial envy. How does she do that? How does she write about such grim things and still make you laugh? How does she create people like Mosca and Eponymous and Saracen? How does she come up with these worlds that she creates? How does she twist and turn and twist and flip and tie it all up at the end? Kudos.
Nilchance
I really dig this book, which is pretty much classism + Omelas + a weird heist novel. I read it in one big gulp. Buuuut there's this glaring mess of racism in the middle when the main character is basically wearing blackface, and it's so funny that everybody thinks she's "foreign" omg.

No, Hardinge. Not cool.
Gwyneth Stewart
Sep 27, 2011 Gwyneth Stewart rated it it was amazing
The American title of this book is Fly Trap. The further adventures of Mosca Mye, Eponymous Clent, and the goose Saracen live up to the promise of the first book, Fly by Night. This story of an orphan and her accidental adventures in the world is equal to or better than the Harry Potter series.
s.e.  smith
Feb 02, 2014 s.e. smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
What happens if instead of walking away from Omelas, you tear the whole city down?
Rachel
Mar 04, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Wonderful, her best yet. I was enthralled from start to finish.
Fran
Apr 29, 2016 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
This book is amazing. There is only one reason it doesn't get five stars: not enough Saracen!
Tanya
Jul 29, 2013 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humour, a love of words and a weakness for intelligent children's writing.
Recommended to Tanya by: Me, and I'm going to reward myself plenty for doing so.
I can't tell you how much I love this woman's writing. I simply can't. Ever since I read Fly By Night, I've been a fan. I can't tell you much about what reading this book was like - I was in a daze for most of it - but if I said I was reduced to a creature that fervently kept turning the pages, marveling at how she makes words bend to her will, laughing really loudly every once in a while, staring wide-eyed at the book every time something unexpected happened (which, towards the end, was every t ...more
meeners
Nov 17, 2016 meeners rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I haven’t forgot any of that." Mosca jutted her chin and stared at the distant trees.

I haven’t forgot how I was tricked and tied up and carried off and poked with a knife and used as a scribe and thrown in a cellar and marked out for death like a chicken for a pot of stew. I haven’t forgot how all this was done cos I didn’t matter. Well, I’ll matter all right. I’ll matter so hard I’ll make them think the sky’s fallen on their heads.

---------

something i appreciate very much about frances harding
Brianna Mao
The sequel to the book Fly By Night, Mosca Mye and Eponymous Clent are once again drawn into another city and its mysteries, this time the city of Toll they entered at a high price to escape from the problems they caused, and to also inform the mayor of a kidnapping attempt at his daughter. But, Toll is strangely divided into daytime and nighttime, with people "existing" or not based on their name, determined by their patron deity, and when Mosca is labeled as a dangerous nightling, she uses tha ...more
Katerina
(скандирует): Ещё! Ещё! Ещё!

Очень классно; вроде бы и есть, к чему придраться, но ужасно, ужасно классно; на одном дыхании прочитанная (и кажется, что написанная) книжка; без глупостей, без украшательств, без романтических соплей (!) только с головокружительными, настоящими олдскульными приключениями.

Купите всем знакомым детям на Новый год, станете у них любимым классным взрослым.
Fly Trap - the sequel to Fly by Night? 3 26 Jan 12, 2012 12:06AM
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Timothy and the Dragon's Gate (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #2)
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • The Midnight Zoo
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)
  • Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard (Peter Nimble, #2)
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Bluecrowne (Arcana, #2)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Factotum (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3)
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2)
  • Empire of Gut and Bone (Norumbegan Quartet, #3)
  • Small Persons with Wings
  • Courage & Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark
119830
Frances Hardinge spent her childhood in a huge, isolated old house in a small, strange village, and the two things inspired her to write strange, magical stories from an early age. She studied English at Oxford University and now lives in Oxford, England.
More about Frances Hardinge...

Fly by Night (2 books)
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)

“Revenge is a dish best served unexpectedly and from a distance - like a thrown trifle.” 45 likes
“I generally find,' Clent murmured after a pause, 'that it is best to treat borrowed time the same way as borrowed money. Spend it with panache, and try to be somewhere else when it runs out.'

'And when we get found, Mr. Clent, when the creditors and bailiffs come after us and it's payment time...'

'...then we borrow more, madam, at a higher interest. We embark on a wilder gamble, make a bigger promise, tell a braver story, devise a more intricate lie, sell the hides of imaginary dragons to desperate men, climb to even higher and more precarious ground...and later, of course, our fall and catastrophe will be all the worse, but later will be our watchword, Mosca. We have nothing else - but we can at least make later later.”
21 likes