Start by marking “The New World (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #2)” as Want to Read:
The New World (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #2)

The New World (A History of the English-Speaking Peoples #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Sir Winston Churchill's classic History of the English-Speaking Peoples; with an introduction by Andrew Roberts, author of Eminent Churchillians
Unknown Binding, 344 pages
Published May 9th 2002 by Not Avail (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The New World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New World

A Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Wars of the Roses by Alison WeirWhat Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel PoolGeorgiana by Amanda ForemanEleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir
British History
181st out of 386 books — 100 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Life of Elizabeth I by Alison WeirA Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Wars of the Roses by Alison WeirElizabeth's London by Liza Picard
European History
129th out of 292 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

booklady
While many have found fault with his historical method, and others have critiqued his idiosyncrasies, Time itself will — I believe — prove the truth in the spirit of Winston's writing if not in the letter. For all his faults, I love him! Although his bust no longer adorns the Oval Office, my four volume set of Winnie's History of the English Speaking Peoples shall continue to adorn my bookshelves and be referred to whenever the subject of British history comes up. Sadly, I have never read them c...more
Ray Campbell
The saga continues in this second volume of A History of the English Speaking People. In this book we go from the rise of the Tudors to the rise of the American Colonies and the Restoration of the monarchy. It is fascinating to see the development of rights and the evolution of the common man taking powers bit by bit over the centuries.

Churchill is clearly writing with the perspective of a leader who has seen the worst of what dictators can be. I've read other accounts of this period which aggra...more
Michael
Winston Churchill was without doubt the greatest man to live in the 2nd millennium A.D. When the whole world was either neutral, allied with or dominated by Nazi Germany, only England stood against it. England was ready to fight but needed someone to provide the leadership and Churchill, the right man and the right time, provided it. It could so easily have gone the other way. Churchill, the son of and English father and American mother was all English but always believed that those nations whic...more
Marie
Dec 04, 2013 Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fact
This book was written by Winston Churchill the famous war leader and politician and he actually won the Nobel prize for literature for this series of four volumes of English history.

I read this because my knowledge of English history is surprisingly full of holes. Instead of Learning from start to finish we learnt the highlights and hopped over loads of stuff. For instance Charles I got his head cut off and then it was fast forward t the restoration and then suddenly the American war of independ...more
Noah
Very, very good. This second volume covers quite a bit less (in terms of time as well as in page numbers) than the first, and Churchill is both better and worse in terms of writing and mood. Churchill gets deeper into both the politics between King and Parliament (which was fascinating) and the twisting and turning of generals and admirals in war (which I have never found interesting). One thing I did appreciate was that, no matter who he was writing about, Churchill found something good to say....more
Stephen
Shortly before the eruption of the Second World War, Winston Churchill was busy at work authoring a history of the English and American people, of which this is volume II. Although one might think The New World is set in North America, the new world here is one of political culture, not geography. To be sure, this volume is set in in the Age of Discovery, and there is a section on the first few English colonies...but this work's primary focus is charting the transformation of England from a stro...more
Brennan
I read this series when I was in high school but I'd forgotten nearly everything. This was a good volume to start with, for me at least, as it covers the period of British history about which I know the least - the 16th and 17th century. If I'd read this in undergrad before I had my course on Restoration lit it would have helped; as it is, I was reminded of: Roundheads, Cavaliers, the beheading of Charles I, the English invasion of North America, and why the Irish really, really loathe Cromwell....more
Ellen
The second of four volumes in Churchill's (thus far) lively and interesting history. His very strong sympathies and prejudices were even more apparent in this volume than the first (especially when he was talking about Cromwell or the Scots), but I tend to like that kind of unapologetic, honest bias, even when it's not the slant that I would personally take; at least you can be sure of where the author stands, without having to spend most of the book trying to figure it out. For all that I did d...more
Sally
Dempsey and I finished this book today. It covers English history in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, from Henry VIII through Cromwell and ending with the Glorious Revolution of 1688. My main problem with these books is that Churchill assumes a lot of familiarity with the topic on the reader's part, so the less informed of us have a hard time following some things.

This book saw the Appearance of the Churchills, which was at once charming and obnoxious. He mentioned his forebearers when...more
Erik
I found this to be a very interesting history that I will likely read again to help myself remember much of the detail better. It covers 200 years of history, from 1485 to the 1680s. The writing is information dense, so keeping the people straight and their allegiances is difficult. The writing is engaging, but I sometimes get the feeling that there are aspects of what is going on that I do not understand as well as I should because I lack much background in understanding the current system of g...more
Juan
Me decepciono, esperaba mas análisis que historiografia y listado de hechos y personajes.
Charlene Gordon
I read these nearly 40 years ago. Fascinating books.
Wesley
Just finished this read thanks to the Arapahoe Library District and the online card catalogue . . . and Prospector. I am ridiculed by the librarians for ordering antiques and expecting them in within days of my request. C'est la vie.
Also, a good read!
Due to the civil war, War of the Roses, etc., the book winds its way through a more confusing history of England than I received in high school. Good - but thank God for the charts.
Geneva
I had assumed that this volume (which is the only volume I have of the series) would be mainly about the colonization of America. It turned out, however, to be almost entirely about Britain, from Henry VIII to James (the second? I think?). Anyway, I now know far more about British history than I did before and, while it's dry in places, I feel like it was a comprehensive and well presented history.
Michele
This is a very lively and engaging story. Complex persons and events are explained in detailed writing that is both clear and elegant. Churchill is startlingly balanced in some episodes and tellingly biased in others; his own sympathies are always clear. I found his unashamed bias charming even as I heartily disagreed with much of it. I look forward to reading more in this series.
Tom Schulte
Another volume of Churchill's excellent, four-volume history. This one takes through the end of the monarchy (Charles I), the terrible Cromwell era, and The Restoration (Charles II). Now, Churchill has left me hanging as William of Orange readies his forces in the Low Countries. I cannot wait for Volume Three!

Levi
The second book in the series slows significantly and struggles to describe the increasingly complex nature of British affairs over multiple centuries. It does provide a decent overview of key events throughout this time but fails to make them easily consumable.
  • Pax Britannica: Climax of an Empire
  • Henry II
  • Markings
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • With God in Russia
  • The Age of Reason Begins (The Story of Civilization, #7)
  • The Last Lion 2: Winston Spencer Churchill Alone, 1932-40
  • A History of the Crusades, Vol. II: The Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Frankish East, 1100-1187
  • Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India
  • Warlord
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
  • Interior Freedom
  • The First Salute
  • Angel Girl
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, FRS, PC (Can) was a British politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman, orator and strategist, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army. A prolific author, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953 for his own historical writings, "for his mastery...more
More about Winston S. Churchill...
The Gathering Storm (The Second World War, #1) Their Finest Hour (The Second World War, #2) My Early Life, 1874-1904 The Second World War The Birth of Britain (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #1)

“Here is the salient fact which distinguishes the English Revolution from all others: that those who wielded irresistible physical force were throughout convinced that it could give them no security. Nothing is more characteristic of the English people than their instinctive reverence even in rebellion for law and tradition. Deep in the nature of the men who had broken the King’s power was the conviction that law in his name was the sole foundation on which they could build.” 0 likes