Start by marking “Sign-Talker: The Adventure of George Drouillard on the Lewis and Clark Expedition” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In his extraordinary body of work, James Alexander Thom does more than bring the past to life; he makes us experience history as if we were witnessing it for the first time. Thom's new novel is an enthralling adventure with fascinating real-life characters--and a heart-grabbing narrative that casts a vivid light on a momentous chapter in American history.

Sign-Talker begins
Published August 18th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 2000)

Paul
This is a book by a Bloomington author, James Alexander Thom, about the Lewis & Clark expedition, the Corps of Discovery that went from St. Louis to Oregon and back when Th. Jefferson was president (Madison was president by the time they returned).

This is a subject I'm really familiar with, not only from books but having lived and traveled in places where the Corps spent significant time. The marvelous thing about this book is that it is told from an Indian standpoint; Lewis, instead of bei
Julie
I've really enjoyed Alexander Thom's other books about the Lewis & Clark expedition. I expected to find more of the same in this book, as so many of his books overlap. But it is very different, and I enjoyed it greatly. I didn't realize that George Drouillard was an Indian, even though he had a French father. I always thought with a name like George he was probably raised more as a white man. This book presented the the expedition through the eyes of a Native American. Great book. I would re ...more
Anna
Aug 03, 2009 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy historical fiction
We were taught in school that Sacajawea was with Lewis and Clark for the whole trip as their interpreter...boy, did we get scammed!!! And George Droulliard got a raw deal in Lewis and Clark history.
As for James Alexander Thom...still at the top of my favorite writers right now.
Brenda G
I loved this book. What a great way to read about the expedition! I wish all history could be written this way! The alternate point of view presented by the narrator provided several "ahh ha" moments and even a few chuckles.
Greg
This is one of my all time favorite books. Once I started I'd stay up late reading until it was done. A great book that should be on every adventure's list
Jane
I liked this book for the interesting perspective of Native American Life. It held my interest to the end.
Dale
An entertaining look at the Lewis and Clark adventure

Lewis and Clark's famous Voyage of Discovery lasted from 1803-1806. Besides Lewis and Clark there were a number of French trappers, Seaman (Lewis' dog) soldiers, frontier hunters, Clark's slave named York, Sacagewa and her son and George Drouillard, a half-French/half-Shawnee brought along with the dual role of sign-language interpreter and hunter. Meriwether Lewis called Drouillard "One of the two or three most valuable members of the expedit
Becky
The story of George Droulliard, a half French, half Indian who traveled on Lewis and Clark's famous expedition into the west, is one I don't think a lot of Americans have heard. He provided the party with almost all their meat, as he was an accomplished hunter. He also helped them communicate with the Indian tribes they encountered. This is a wonderful story, and interesting history that everyone needs to be aware of.
Gerry
I had no idea of all that the Lewis & Clark expedition went though to accomplish that great adventure. It was a real team effort with George Drouillard keeping them all fed with his great hunting skills. With all that they went though, it's a wonder any of them made it back at all. This is an amazing story that you won't believe.
Larry Edwards
Well written and well researched (as far as I can tell). Nice to get a perspective of the expedition from a Native American rather than the Euro-centric, Manifest Destiny view that dominates history in the U.S.
Booknblues
The book follows George Drouillard on the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Drouillard was the other native American on the expedition.
Interesting story and information provided about the expedition.
Jane Buttery
Authentic and interesting story of the same era as the famous Tecumseh. Thom gives a wonderful clear picture of Shawnee Indian life and struggles. Well worth reading.
JAK
Fictionalized account of the Lewis and Clark expedition as seen through the eyes of George Drouillard (half-Shawnee/half-French hunter/translator for the expedition).
Brittney
I couldn't finish it. To detailed for me, while trying to squeeze in my college projects. Maybe I can pick it up again another time.
Brenda
Another really good book about the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Deb S
Deb S is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Molly Holden
Molly Holden marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Debbie Woods
Debbie Woods marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
shannon ivey
shannon ivey marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Janie Mehlan
Janie Mehlan marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Clivemichael Justice
Clivemichael Justice marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
  • Stone Song: A Novel of the Life of Crazy Horse
  • Pocahontas
  • The Morning River: A Novel of the Great Missouri Wilderness in 1825
  • Stand Firm Ye Boys from Maine: The 20th Maine and the Gettysburg Campaign
  • The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley
  • Creek Mary's Blood
  • Uncharted
  • Song of the Wolf
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz
  • Picture Maker
  • The Ascent of George Washington: The Hidden Political Genius of an American Icon
James Alexander Thom (born 1933) is an American author, most famous for his works in the Western genre. Born in Gosport, Indiana, he graduated from Butler University and served in the United States Marine Corps. He is a former professor of journalism at Indiana University, and a contributor to the The Saturday Evening Post. His fifth wife, Dark Rain Thom was a member of the Shawnee United Remnant ...more
More about James Alexander Thom...
Follow the River Panther in the Sky From Sea to Shining Sea The Red Heart Long Knife