Start by marking “Sign-Talker: The Adventure of George Drouillard on the Lewis and Clark Expedition” as Want to Read:

In his extraordinary body of work, James Alexander Thom does more than bring the past to life; he makes us experience history as if we were witnessing it for the first time. Thom's new novel is an enthralling adventure with fascinating real-life characters--and a heart-grabbing narrative that casts a vivid light on a momentous chapter in American history.

Sign-Talker begins
Published August 18th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 2000)

Paul
Dec 05, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book by a Bloomington author, James Alexander Thom, about the Lewis & Clark expedition, the Corps of Discovery that went from St. Louis to Oregon and back when Th. Jefferson was president (Madison was president by the time they returned).

This is a subject I'm really familiar with, not only from books but having lived and traveled in places where the Corps spent significant time. The marvelous thing about this book is that it is told from an Indian standpoint; Lewis, instead of bei
Julie
Sep 13, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed Alexander Thom's other books about the Lewis & Clark expedition. I expected to find more of the same in this book, as so many of his books overlap. But it is very different, and I enjoyed it greatly. I didn't realize that George Drouillard was an Indian, even though he had a French father. I always thought with a name like George he was probably raised more as a white man. This book presented the the expedition through the eyes of a Native American. Great book. I would re ...more
Brenda G
Nov 30, 2010 Brenda G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. What a great way to read about the expedition! I wish all history could be written this way! The alternate point of view presented by the narrator provided several "ahh ha" moments and even a few chuckles.
Anna
May 04, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy historical fiction
We were taught in school that Sacajawea was with Lewis and Clark for the whole trip as their interpreter...boy, did we get scammed!!! And George Droulliard got a raw deal in Lewis and Clark history.
As for James Alexander Thom...still at the top of my favorite writers right now.
Jane
I liked this book for the interesting perspective of Native American Life. It held my interest to the end.
Dale
Jul 07, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining look at the Lewis and Clark adventure

Lewis and Clark's famous Voyage of Discovery lasted from 1803-1806. Besides Lewis and Clark there were a number of French trappers, Seaman (Lewis' dog) soldiers, frontier hunters, Clark's slave named York, Sacagewa and her son and George Drouillard, a half-French/half-Shawnee brought along with the dual role of sign-language interpreter and hunter. Meriwether Lewis called Drouillard "One of the two or three most valuable members of the expedit
Rich Drouillard
Sep 17, 2015 Rich Drouillard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rich by: My aunt who lives in Bloomington, IN
Great read! Gripping and interesting. Point of view of Native American was very welcome. Alexander Thom's wife Dark Rain is Shawnee, so no doubt helped Mr. Thom in point of view. Read it! It is on my shelf to reread which I've done at least 2x after the first. You might be interested in finding out more about him and his books => jamesalexanderthom dot com
I did some "follow-on" Lewis & Clark expedition exploring. This occurred on the exact dates and places of the Expedition 200 years to t
Becky
The story of George Droulliard, a half French, half Indian who traveled on Lewis and Clark's famous expedition into the west, is one I don't think a lot of Americans have heard. He provided the party with almost all their meat, as he was an accomplished hunter. He also helped them communicate with the Indian tribes they encountered. This is a wonderful story, and interesting history that everyone needs to be aware of.
Gerry
Jan 19, 2013 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea of all that the Lewis & Clark expedition went though to accomplish that great adventure. It was a real team effort with George Drouillard keeping them all fed with his great hunting skills. With all that they went though, it's a wonder any of them made it back at all. This is an amazing story that you won't believe.
Larry Edwards
Nov 13, 2013 Larry Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and well researched (as far as I can tell). Nice to get a perspective of the expedition from a Native American rather than the Euro-centric, Manifest Destiny view that dominates history in the U.S.
Doug Weiser
I read this book since I have enjoyed reading several other of the author's books.

I enjoyed this book although similar subject matter is in the author's "From Sea to Shining Sea". Since it has been ~20 years since I read this, it did not seem redundant.
Rebecca A.
Mar 05, 2016 Rebecca A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Drouillard was a half-breed, and of inestimable assistance to the Lewis & Clark Expedition. This novel takes his POV, and I learned so much!
Booknblues
Sep 12, 2010 Booknblues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book follows George Drouillard on the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Drouillard was the other native American on the expedition.
Interesting story and information provided about the expedition.
JAK
Apr 11, 2008 JAK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historical
Fictionalized account of the Lewis and Clark expedition as seen through the eyes of George Drouillard (half-Shawnee/half-French hunter/translator for the expedition).
Jane Buttery
Authentic and interesting story of the same era as the famous Tecumseh. Thom gives a wonderful clear picture of Shawnee Indian life and struggles. Well worth reading.
Brittney
I couldn't finish it. To detailed for me, while trying to squeeze in my college projects. Maybe I can pick it up again another time.
Heather Stergos
Heather Stergos rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2008
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Charlene
Charlene rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Ellen Read
Ellen Read rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
Joseph Luther
Joseph Luther rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Amy Bergman
Amy Bergman rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Lois Ann
Lois Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Dale
Dale rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
David Bond
David Bond rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Laverne Black
Laverne Black rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Mark Yamarone
Mark Yamarone rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2009
Rita Dickinson
Rita Dickinson rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Richard A
Richard A rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Song of the Jayhawk; or, The Squatter Sovereign (Songs of the Jayhawk, #1)
  • The White Earth
  • Creek Mary's Blood
  • A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh
  • Fanny: Being the True History of the Adventures of Fanny Hackabout-Jones
  • The Morning River
  • Follow the Wind (Spanish Bit Saga, #3)
  • Tom Mix and Pancho Villa
  • Stand Firm Ye Boys from Maine: The 20th Maine and the Gettysburg Campaign
  • Stone Song: A Novel of the Life of Crazy Horse
  • Lakota Winds (Lakota Skies, #1)
  • Spirit's Song
  • Ghost Fox
  • Ghost Warrior
  • The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley
  • Song of the Wolf
  • Uncharted
  • Hanta Yo: An American Saga
James Alexander Thom (born 1933) is an American author, most famous for his works in the Western genre. Born in Gosport, Indiana, he graduated from Butler University and served in the United States Marine Corps. He is a former professor of journalism at Indiana University, and a contributor to the The Saturday Evening Post. His fifth wife, Dark Rain Thom was a member of the Shawnee United Remnant ...more
More about James Alexander Thom...