Start by marking “Your Farm in the City: An Urban Dweller's Guide to Growing Food and Raising Animals” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The most complete book on urban farming, covering everything from growing organic produce and raising chickens, to running a small farm on a city lot or in a suburban backyard.

Eating locally and growing one's own food is a rapidly evolving movement in urban settings - Hantz Farms in Detroit has transformed 70 acres of abandoned properties into energy-efficient gardens, and
Published February 23rd 2011 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Your Farm in the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Farm in the City

Hava
I've been reading a lot of books like this (farming / gardening in the city) and they all seem to echo each other in terms of the advice given, the plants suggested...I don't know. I just feel like I've already read this book, several times over.

The illustrations were beautiful - it's unusual to have drawings instead of pictures, so that was fun. But sometimes the desire to make the pages visually stimulating was achieved...and then some! There were times, with all of the different fonts and col
Kindle-fab
This was my first gardening book and and sort of an odd read for me as I've never (and I do mean not ever) had what folks would call a 'green thumb'. However, having taken a recent interest in food - cooking, where it comes from, and if it were possible to grow my own - I grabbed this book from the library when I went looking for another from the same shelf.

It was a bit of a dry read at first but, for a novice like me, seemed filled with a wealth of specific information about veggies and the pro
Jacki Myers
lots of good info - I'm planning things out for this weekend.
Lisa
Jul 24, 2011 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gardeners
I love gardening and have often referred to my yard as "my farm". Although the bit about livestock is what initially caught my attention, I don't think Henrico County is going to like livestock on my farm! I would like to have a couple of chickens for eggs, but according to code we cannot have them. Although I have a few friends that have chickens and they tell me how great it is, I see that it is actually a fair amount of work as I thought.

Taylor's chapter, "Urban Farm Animals" gives ample info
Janet
If I were to buy another gardening book, thus one would be it. Great resource on beginning a garden from preparing the soil to preserving the harvest. It includes information I stumbled upon in my other readings, but not found in all my gardening books. There is discussion on the more common vegetables (and non-vegetables) and how to grow them too. In addition, the author also presents a chapter on raising urban farm animals, which truly makes Kobe an urban farmer. The final section presents add ...more
Ashlee
Written by a urban farmer in Seattle Washington it has given me a lot of great ideas for my own urban garden. They only thing that made me give this book a 4 instead of 5 was that it was all skimmed over. Everything had a very broad nature about it. It told you how to do things without exactly telling you how to do things.
Chris
This is a fantastic resource for the novice gardener interested in doing more with a small space. I have already picked up some tips that I will use in this year's balcony garden, and when I am ready to move to a larger space I think I will want this book as a resource.
Sara
As gorgeous as this book is, I was a bit disappointed with the content. Maybe I've just been reading too many gardening books, but I felt it was too broad to be really useful -- nothing really in-depth. Also found some typos.
Amanda Leone
This book was comprehensive, covering everything from crops, to animals, to beneficial insects. There were many great resources listed, as well as diagrams to show you how you could convert your urban lot over several years.
Susan
Lots to recommend this book. Good information in manageable chunks. Very thorough. Except no info on growing watermelons. Or any melons for that matter. Do they not do melons in Seattle? One (other) complaint: descriptions of weeds and pests with just b/w line drawings. I understand the environmentally friendly paper and ink, but it's not enough detail to recognize unfamiliar bugs and plants.
But, everything on how to grow from prepping the soil to preserving the produce. A great reference book.
Aja Marsh
this one was good for all of the detail it went into, but most of that detail i'm not ready to pore over at the moment since my ability to do any of these things is extremely limited at the moment. that being said i'd probably take another look at it when the possibilities became more realistic. also, their use of crazy fonts to make the pages more dynamic is an interesting, but distracting design choice, sometimes making it hard to read the titles/subjects!
April
A very basic how-to for those who are starting to farm particularly in the urban environment. It has a basic info on soil, containers, etc but also weeds (and which are edible), bugs (the good and bad), animals (ones you're keeping and ones that wreak havoc), etc. Pretty simple, possibly too much so, but I think it would be a great place for many to start as it is simple and approachable.
Shannan
Love! Love! Love! I don't consider myself a beginning gardener and yet despite the elementary principles introduced in this book, I learned a ton! This book covers everything from planning, soil prep, plant selection, seed planting, individual plant specs, and various other urban gardening/farming methods. Must have for beginning/intermediate gardeners.
Toria
Okay - I didn't read this cover to cover so I feel like it probably shouldn't count towards my goal of forty books, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Incredibly helpful guide to gardening in the city with lots of easy to access information and great pictures! Think this is a book I will want to buy and have on hand as a resource.
Pam
GREAT resource! This book was exactly what I was looking for to start my own venture into urban farming and composting. I borrowed this from the library and will be buying a copy to keep. If you're a city dweller or just new to gardening I definitely recommend this!
Kristin
I really liked this book. Enough to add it onto Nate's wishlist. It just gives a great overview of what to grow when, where, and how: animals and plants alike. Well thought-out and I loved the way it was all put together: very organized.
Marisa
This book has lots of charts, pictures, and bold words which makes gardening books much easier to read. It had a ton of information in it. It would be perfect for someone who is just getting into gardening/backyard farming.
Ami
This is one of the better urban farming guidebooks I've come across. It's simple, matter of fact tone will help novices while its appendix with additional reading suggestions will appeal to the more knowledgeable.
AmyLyn
This is such a fascinating read. Full of practical tips and information, resources, websites, and more. I will definitely be buying this book whenever we move out of our highrise and into a house again.
Sara
I agree with other reviewers that if you have read up a lot on this subject matter, this book doesn't hold a lot that's new. Great as an introduction if you are new to the idea of urban farming.
Wendy
Probably a really useful book, if you have enough free time to garden. Just flipping through it made me feel stressed out, which I'm taking as a sign that I don't :)
Kristina
I've only read 75 pages so far, but I'm enjoying it immensely and learning a lot. I haven't read many gardening books, but this one seems perfect for beginners like me.
Bonnie Roman
This was a book I found at my local library - just finished it and will be picking up a copy for my home library asap. A must read/must have primer for gardening!
Megan
Lots of good information, but I'm not sure about the formatting. Using 3 columns can make the text hard to read, but I do like the creative typography!
Lauren
Helping with my urban farm....chickens are thriving, and this book is really helpful and kinda cutsie....
Brandi
I love all of the practial tips! It has been invaluable to me this year in my garden.
Nicole
May 03, 2012 Nicole marked it as to-read
Any day now... I've ordered this book and it should be coming in any day now...
Mar 23, 2012 Laura is currently reading it
Just started it, great info so far, wish me luck with my new garden!
Kelly
great tips for growing vegetables in small spaces.
Deanna
Really comprehensive!
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • City Farmer
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I kept the patio, lost the lawn, and fed my family for a year
  • The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City (Process Self-Reliance Series)
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Self-Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Greenhorns: 50 Dispatches from the New Farmers' Movement
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Apartment Gardening: Plants, Projects, and Recipes for Growing Food in Your Urban Home
  • A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond
Lisa Taylor is the Education Program Manager for Seattle Tilth. She is a co-author of the Maritime Northwest Garden Guide and a frequent speaker on soils, compost, edible landscaping and children's gardening. She facilitates training for teachers and others interested in schoolyard gardening and is passionate about teaching children and their parents where their food comes from and how to care for ...more
More about Lisa Taylor...
All on a Winter's Day The Invention Beryl's Box A Pig Called Shrimp. Cities The Forces That Shape Them