Start by marking “Grandfather Twilight” as Want to Read:
Grandfather Twilight

Grandfather Twilight

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  1,285 ratings  ·  111 reviews
When day is gone, and shadows begin to deepen, it is time for Grandfather Twilight to close his book, put on his jacket, and go for a walk through the forest.

Little birds hush as he walks by, and the rabbits and other small creatures watch in silence as he performs his very special evening task and returns to his house among the trees. Small readers and listeners, too, wil
Published November 12th 1996 by Puffin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Grandfather Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandfather Twilight

The illustrations in this story are so lovely; soft, glowing, and gently magical--perfect for bedtime! The story is pleasant, too, following the activities of Grandfather Twilight as he awakes at the end of the day and sets about putting the moon in the sky. There was one point in the story that I found a little odd/confusing given the cycle of the moon, but otherwise I quite enjoyed the overall book mostly due to the illustrations.
This was one of my most favorite of stories growing up. I still imagine I have a room sometimes that is half room and half nature as is depicted in Grandfather Twilight. This book is full of beautiful illustrations, imagination, creativity, and inspiration. I would recommend to children everywhere and even adults who still recognize their inner child.
4.5 stars for the illustrations

The illustrations in this book are beautiful! The good thing is, they could almost tell the story all on their own. The down side is that I almost found the little text that was there to be confusing. Still is a great story and the illustrations are a true feast for the eyes! Recommended for those alone!
Very gentle story about dusk, with sweet and picturesque illustrations.
There really isn't anything as arresting as a picture book you had read to you in childhood and which you haven't read since. I came across this book while searching the bookshelves of my grandparents' cottage for something entirely different and was as distracted from my search as if someone had reached through time and kidnapped me.

This book is light on words and long on pictures, and the connections a child will make in his or her mind while looking at the pictures and hearing the story are
Jane G Meyer
Though I'm a big fan of Donkey's Dream, also by Barbara Berger, this book doesn't strike me the same way. The illustrations are lovely, even magical, and the text is short and lyrical and nice for bed time, but the theme could be quite confusing to little ones.

Not that they shouldn't be exposed to fantasy and metaphor, but I'd prefer for my small children to think that God is the one who sails the moon into the sky--or even--if subtly we knew that this was a task that was given to the grandfath
Julia Brumfield
Alright I am ashamed I don't ever remember this having an actual story lol since I was too caught up in the beautiful pictures, which can tell the story instead. The pictures are softy glowing, muted and just breathtaking in the colors that they give as well as the details of the members within the pictures. If you are into art this book for the pictures alone will haunt you.

Getting a chance to read the story again I can remember it vaguely. The words are simple and easy to read so definitely
Leslie Kress
Grandfather Twilight is a magical yet peaceful story. There are not a whole lot of words to the story so the illustrations tell a very big part of the story. Grandfather Twilight takes a small pearl out of a chest. I love as he walks closer and closer to the ocean and the pearl keeps getting bigger. It is fun watching children slowly realizing that the pearl is the moon. I found the story powerful because it is as if you are in a completely different world. There are many different animals in th ...more
Grandfather Twilight is an old man who lives in the woods and puts the full moon into the sky. This is a beautiful bedtime story, with illustrations that take us to an imaginary world where a pearl grows to the size of the moon and an old man's body blends into the dusky sky. Spare text and creative vision.
When a day ends it comes time for Grandfather Twilight to put down his book, comb his beard, put on his jacket and collect a pearl from a strand of pearls hidden in a wooden chest. Then, holding that pearl in his hand Grandfather Twilight heads off for a walk in the forest towards the sea. The pearl in his hand grows larger and larger, eventually becoming the moon which Grandfather Twilight gently offers up to the “silence above the sea” a spot where the moon can comfortably find its place to sh ...more
Berger, B. (1984). Grandfather twilight. New York: Philomel Books.
(re-published in 1996 and 1999)

Grandfather Twilight lives among the trees. When “day is done”, he takes a pearl and as he walks through the forest, it grows. When he reaches the sea, the pearl becomes the moon and night brings sleep to Grandfather Twilight and his animals.
The layout of the words throughout the book (usually one sentence per page) makes the reader feel as though he/she is reading a drawn-out, beautifully-i
Kathryn Watt
I love this book. I would describe the story as a contemporary myth about how the moon is created. The combination of gentle, sparse text and pastel illustrations produce an incredibly peaceful, magical and spiritual atmosphere. Not a word is wasted, yet Berger manages beautifully poetic lines such as "Gently, he gave the pearl to the silence above the sea". Sigh. Great bedtime book for youngsters.
Seriously?!?!? Why is this so highly rated? The pictures were blah. And it was pages with just pictures and no writing. The story itself was minimal and didn't hold my interest, although it was short enough that the kids stayed and listened. But they were confused by it and I had to explain what was happening.
This is a legend that explains why twilight happens. In this story, the author suggests that Grandfather Twilight takes the moon from a box and carries it towards the sky, thus creating twilight. This would be great to use when discussing the different myths and legends that cultures have.
Another great re-aloud that I used for a "Questioning" activity taUght to grades k-6. How does one formulate good questions about what is being read? Then that skill is applied to asking questions about this rather bizarre book. Afterwards, a good game of "I Spy" drives home the skill.
Meg McGregor
One of the few children's books that will rate a five star from me!

Grandfather Twilight is one of my favorite stories to read at nap time or night time to little ones.

I have read it literally dozens of times and it never ceases to calm me and see the beauty in nature.

Grandfather Twilight is a beautifully told explanation of how twilight is created. Grandfather Twilight lives in a forest, reading books all day. When the day comes to an end, he gets a pearl out of his chest of endless pearls. As he walks towards the ocean, the pearl becomes larger. Grandfather Twilight releases the pearl into the sky, and it becomes the moon.
The detailed illustrations are the heart and soul of the story. The illustrations were painted in acrylic. The scenery and animals are
This book can be used to teach students about making inference as they read. In this book we never find out who exactly Grandfather Twilight is but students can use the information that is given by the words and the pictures to make their own inference of who Grandfather Twilight is.
My favorite part of this story are the lovely magical illustrations. These soothing images and sweet storyline of Grandfather Twilight beginning the evening in is a perfect nighttime tale to share with your little ones.

Lindsay Carter
My parents read this to me before bed as a young girl. I loved it. Reading it again as an adult makes me appreciate its simple beauty even more. Wonderful book and dear to my heart!
May 25, 2014 John added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: Leah
No star ratings given for short children's books.
As a snippet on the back cover boasts, this is an excellent addition to our cultural body of mythology.
May 13, 2015 Eva rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents with kids 2-10
Shelves: read-kids
One of my all-time favorite night-time books. Been reading it for years, but my 6 and 7 year old still love it
Meghan Brigan
Grandfather Twilight is a traditional bedtime story for children ages two to eight years old. Grandfather Twilight goes out on a stroll every evening. As he walks a string of pearls is created. The pearl represents the moon which Grandfather Twlight is in charge of hanging in the sky. This book is so peaceful and serene. The images and text would work perfectly to create a sleepy mood. I really enjoyed that when Grandfather Twilight went to bed he was surrouned by his animal friends. I think for ...more
Mattie Green
A childhood favorite. Beautiful imagery and personification of the changes that occur at twilight.
Alexa Foley
was cool to see how a person can be compared to how the sky turns from dusk to night to dawn.
Angela Foley
This is a strange book that I am not sure I would bring into my classroom, I wasn't crazy about it.
Nov 22, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I remember reading this to Ellen and never forgot how beautiful the illustrations are. It's a good book to put little ones in a sleepy mood. Every evening Grandfather Twilight opens a wooden chest, takes out one pearl, and goes for a walk. That pearl grows larger with every step until, "Gently, he gives the pearl to the silence above the sea." With poetic words and soft-focus illustrations of a kind man, lovely landscape, and friendly animals, this is a good book to snuggle with. Some of the pag ...more
One of the sweetest little Easy storybooks ever...may have to buy this for my collection.
Ms Threlkeld
A very simple story about how the moon appears in the sky each night.
Nancy (Colorado)
Still in my quest to find a favorite children's bool for a baby shower!
  • The Sun Egg
  • Roxaboxen
  • The Tomten
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • The High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky Pie Angel Food Cake
  • Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • A Fairy Went A-Marketing
  • The Secret Staircase
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Come Back, Moon: with audio recording
  • A Book of Sleep
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

More about Barbara Helen Berger...
Gwinna The Donkey's Dream When the Sun Rose A Lot of Otters Angels on a Pin