Afternoon Delight: Why Soaps Still Matter

Afternoon Delight: Why Soaps Still Matter

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Forget everything you've heard about the daytime soap opera going the way of the old Betamax tapes that were used to record them. The style and influence of the afternoon serial resonate in every existing dramatic entertainment and reality show, as the soaps continue to engross and entertain millions of viewers around the world every single day. In Afternoon Delight: Why S...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Brian (first published May 11th 2011)

Shianne
Delightful! I’m nothing if not a sucker for all things backstage gossipy!

It’s no secret to anyone that I’ve been watching The Soap Opera since I was in the womb. Pretty sure my mom went into labor watching General Hospital. I was 9 years old when Grandpa (yeah, you read that right, Grandpa) introduced me to Days of Our Lives. And remember when Natalie was stuck in a well on All My Children!? Best summer TV ever! I haven’t watched soaps religiously through all of the years, I admit, but they sti...more
Nicole
Mar 03, 2012 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A lot of Hinsey's opinion (which I don't always agree with), decent background info, and some shaky "facts." Hinsey states that ABC has always owned its own soaps. Although this is true in recent years, it was not always the case. Just off the top of my head Dark Shadows was a Dan Curtis Production while All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital were owned by their respective creators for many years. Hinsey also has difficulty differentiating between networks and affiliates.
Lisa Pettit
Very good insight into the history of soap operas and information about the present day soaps. The stories were interesting to read and love the praise and support for the genre. However, I do wish the author would not have referenced a few possibilities of things that would never be done on soaps as since this book was published a few have occurred such as the storyline with Will/Gabby/Arianna Grace on Days of Our Lives. A must read for soap opera fans.
Stephanie Sabatelli
Great quick read for the soap opera fan. It gives great insight from someone in the business on the history of soaps and why they are so beloved. Carolyn also gives her opinions on how to revive this genre and takes networks to task for taking the easy, cheap way out instead of actually attempting to cater to viewers and not their own bottom line.
Emilyf11
Wonderful book telling the story of soaps and how they came to be. Ms Hinsey gives insightful options on how to save the genre. You can always tell the she loves the shows.
Emmie
Emmie added it
Jun 26, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Davene
Davene marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Denise Morgan
Denise Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2013
Ajlin Ly
Ajlin Ly marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2012
Damon Suede
Damon Suede marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Reneehf
Reneehf marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2011
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2011
Afternoon Delight: Why Soaps Still Matter Afternoon Delight: Why Soaps Still Matter