Start by marking “Fire, Bed, and Bone” as Want to Read:
Fire, Bed, and Bone

Fire, Bed, and Bone

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Even readers with little knowledge of (or interest in) British feudal systems and peasant revolts may find themselves engrossed in this unique fictional tale set in 1381 and told from a hunting dog's point of view." — PUBLISHERS WEEKLY (starred review)

A Smarties Book Prize Bronze Award Winner

A KLIATT Editors' Choice

"Branford's subtle,
Published September 12th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published November 3rd 1997)

My friend,Kathy Bruce, sent me the above link. I am always looking for kids' books that are not what everyone else is reading and not what is in the bookstores now. This book written by English author Herietta Branford was first published in the United States in 1998. It won the guardian's prize for fiction and was short listed for the Carnegie.

The book is told from the point of view of a bitch during England's Peasant's Revolt in 1381. The story opens ar
This is and excellent piece of historical fiction with the added perspective of a dog. The story is harsh but should appeal to a young audience.

Survival from a dog's perspective
"I caught one, (a rabbit) snapped its neck, and felt its warm flesh and blood bringing me life and strength." (p. 23)

Cruelty from one man's perpective
". . . Lupus's heavy leather belt struck me a blow across the ribs that knocked my breath away and stopped me thinking clearly. In the split second of my muddle he dropped a
Historical fiction during the time of the English Peasant Rebellion in 1381 told through the eyes of a loyal hunting dog. The first chapter (3 pages) could make the book a tough sell. This is a book that requires some patience; however, there is plenty of action: hunting, hanging, parading heads on pikes through town, domestic abuse. While none of the violence is gratuitous, it is definitely there. A traitorous character gets his comeuppance at the end but not until a beloved character meets a g ...more
Great historical fiction. Liked that the story was told from the perspective of the dog. More of a middle grade book because the serf / peasant uprising was brutal and that stays true throughout this little gem of a book.

I found this in the juvenile section and was kind of surprised because of the use of the word bitch. I feel weird even bringing it up. BUT! Bitch isn't used as a derogatory term or as a swear word but used to identify a female dog. So. That was interesting to think about.

Is bit
Mike Steven
I picked this book up at work and it looked like it had never been read so I thought I'd take it home. I'm interested in the period of history in which it is set so I figured it could provide an entertaining couple of hours. It did.

It's a children's book written in the first person from the perspective of a dog belonging to a villager in 1381 during civil unrest and the uprising of the peasants. The dog spends her time with a kind of split loyalty between her owner, her puppies and her desire to
Shazza Maddog
Zoe Obstkuchen
Oh how I love this book! I should imagine if I had read it as a child I would have loved it even more, but I've only read this delightful tale as an adult. It is a simple story from an important time in English history, and gives a very believable representation of what it may have been like for the common man. One of those books I have thought much about between readings
Natalie  (♥Glamor Girl♥)
This book was okay I rated it 2 out of 5 stars because it wasn't the best book ive ever read, so I didn't choose this book to read, I had a chose this was a okay book on my list. It was about Rufus and Comfort they are husband and wife, they get captured by soldiers because they are believed to be assisting the peasant of revolt. The soldiers captured Rufus and hung him on a rope, so he suffered and died. Meanwhile, there is this guy named Will Cudweed he is the only bad guy in the story. He is ...more
I read this to my 8-year-old to complement our Middle Ages history lesson about the feudal system. The story is set in 1381 during the Peasant's Revolt in England and is told from the perspective of a peasant family's hunting dog. It was a quick read. My son enjoyed it more than me. He gives it 4 1/2 stars. :-)
Beautiful Survivor
Nov 13, 2010 Beautiful Survivor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves dogs.
I checked this book out in the library simply for the fact that I'm a big animal lover. I also love the meadevil time period so this book interested me.
And this book had me HOOKED! The dog who narrated this book was a perfect character in my opinion and the feel was realistic. I felt angry and sad and happy as I read through the emotions in the book.
I reccomend this book a lot.
I wondered about this book and thought about the animals and people in the time period really seriously. We always kn
This was lent to me by a good friend who is, like me, a literacy coach at her school. She insisted I must read it. I'm so glad she did. This simple (but not simplistic) story is told from the dog's point of view, yet it is historical fiction from 14th century England. It is written for a youth audience, so it doesn't delve into the 'why's' of history, only the what-was-happening info about "serfs" and how their work wasn't paid or valued. Still, its the dog's relationship with his owner that for ...more
Fire, Bed, and Bone is set in 1381, during the Peasants' Revolt in England. The narrator is an old hunting dog (nameless) accustomed to a life of good care from her poor owners. The dog spends her time with split loyalty between her owner, her son Fleabane and her desire to hunt and be wild. She tells the reader not only about the impact of the unrest on the people but on their animals too. The book manages to be packed with factual information without being preachy. Highly recommended.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Who would have thought that a children's book about a dog living in England in 1381 would have such a realistic feel? The dog experiences losing her master and mistress, captured and imprisoned by men who don't like the peasants revolting. The dog experiences losing her puppies. The dog experiences the difficulties of trying to find food in lean times. An unexpectedly stark look at life during these times. So stark that I would caution parents of sensitive children.

This book was like none I've ever read. It is told from a dog's point of view, and surprisingly it was SO realistic. It's such a good book, and keeps you interested all the way until the very end. This would be a great book to use with older students when discussing things that have happened in Englad.
Medieval tale, set in 1381- told from the point of view of a dog who travels from household to household sharing with us the drama of the families he stays with.
Life in the middle ages during a peasant uprising in England. Everything is seen through the eyes of a nameless dog. Very good story!
This book was kind of hard to get through. I didn't really understand it. I think that I just will have to read it again.
Christina Packard
A story told by a dog. The time is 1381 and during the feudal peasant revolts. Very interesting.
Great look into the peasant uprising during the Middle Ages told from the view point of a dog.
Jun 27, 2010 Ralph marked it as to-read
Loris heard about this at a discussion of dog books, said it's one of the best.
YA excellent writing! 1381 seen and smelled through a dog's perspective!
A dog tells the story of life in Feudal times.
Muhammad marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Harriet Jane Norfolk
Harriet Jane Norfolk marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Hesam marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Selina marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke)
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • The Ship That Flew
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Grinny
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • The Cat: Or, How I Lost Eternity
  • Amazon Adventure
Henrietta Branford was a gifted novelist for young people. During her short career she won the Smarties Prize in 1994 for Dimanche Diller (Harper Collins) and the Guardian Fiction Prize in 1998 for Fire, Bed and Bone (Walker Books); she was twice shortlisted for the Guardian Fiction Prize, in 1994 and 1997. Her progress and development as a writer was watched with interest by publishers, critics a ...more
More about Henrietta Branford...