Start by marking “7 Tools to Beat Addiction” as Want to Read:
7 Tools to Beat Addiction

7 Tools to Beat Addiction

DO YOU WANT A LIFE WITHOUT ADDICTION?

Whether you are battling drugs, nicotine, alcohol, food, shopping, sex, or gambling, 7 Tools to Beat Addiction is a hands-on, practical guide to overcoming addiction of any kind. If you or a loved one are struggling with addiction but do not find that twelve-step or other treatment programs work for you, this book can help.

In , internat
Published December 18th 2007 by Harmony (first published July 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 7 Tools to Beat Addiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Tools to Beat Addiction

Patricia
Sep 08, 2012 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could be the editor for some of these self-help books. I'm sure I could help these guys reach a larger audience. This book for instance is terribly confused about who the audience is: the addict or the friend or counselor of the addict. The material jumps all over from tools that might help an addict to tools that might help a family member to things a counselor might need to know. There are sections about helping a teen who could be headed toward addiction and sections that teach an ad ...more
Monica Willyard
Oct 02, 2015 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshare
This book is like a breath of fresh air. It shows how many people overcome addictions and bad habits without a 12 step group. While support groups can be very helpful in recovery, they are not the only way a person can get better. This is very heartening for me. I overcame a powerful addiction in the 90s, and I felt strange because so many people told me I couldn't do it without the support group. Yet I did do it, and I couldn't understand why they told me I couldn't.
Zaubin Z
Oct 13, 2015 Zaubin Z rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great, even if you don't have an addiction, if only that it contradicts years of limiting thinking. You are not helpless. You always have a choice, and the choice is not always black and white. If you mess up, it's not the end of the world. There is such a thing as moderation. The thing that makes it hard to change is a pernicious belief, bolstered by others, that you are a victim, that it is too hard, that you are helpless. The best way to change a bad habit is to change your point ...more
Susan
Jun 02, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is absolutely no scientific studies or basis for his claims, but for those who agnostic or atheist and want to try a non AA method perhaps it would work. I can't say as I really found the comment '7 tools' rather vague so I can't see how it could help anyone. A lot of this book can also be found else in the New Age Self Help ouevre but I think Ken Christian's book is far better.
Melanie Solomon
This book offers a really great new way of looking at alcoholism and drug addiction. It is supported by the research that has been going on for over two decades, which the general public is largely unaware of, at least in the U.S. It is about time that we start looking at alternatives to Alcoholics Anonymous, which according to research only has about a 5% success rate, so that the other 95% can get the help we need! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is still struggling with an al ...more
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health, how-to
Just wonderful. This book explains how people really stop themselves from drinking, using drugs, gambling and eating problematically, and how the reader can do the same if he or she is ready. Stanton Peele has been the voice of reason in the wilderness of 12-step nonsense for many years. Long may he wave.
Aaron Wallentine
Jan 09, 2014 Aaron Wallentine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12-steppers or those frustrated by the 12 steps
I find Stanton Peele's take on addiction and recovery to be quite refreshing and sensical, and I'm glad his voice is out there among all the 12-step s...more I find Stanton Peele's take on addiction and recovery to be quite refreshing and sensical, and I'm glad his voice is out there among all the 12-step stuff that is out there. I almost said "12-step junk", but maybe that's a bit too harsh. That said, I think that 12-step dogma is definitely worth questioning, and Stanton Peele is one of the b ...more
Mark Manderson
Jul 17, 2016 Mark Manderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Peele's scientific backed examples of addiction and how to best deal with the problem ad opposed to only the symptoms. By using motivational techniques he gives multiple examples how to use the most powerful form of motivation, internal!
This is used to bring out the sources of their conflict.
Elizabeth Atwood
Oct 27, 2012 Elizabeth Atwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good alternative philosophy (and one I tend to agree with more) than AA and the twelve steps. Favorite tidbits:
*The simplest answer to the question "When do people change?" is "When they want to."
*While it is customary to label such denial as dysfunctional (people who don't label themselves as addicts), it seems that for many--indeed, for the typical alcohol-, gambling-, or sex-dependent individual--NOT acknowledging they were addicted actually made it EASIER for them to escape the addictive b
Ajnadenver
Aug 30, 2008 Ajnadenver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: othertastic
I figured if this works for crackheads, it should hopefully make a dent in my own bad habits. What it did was really change how I view what addiction is (it's rather scathing on AA's abdication of personal responsibility) and how people really break behaviors. I'd suggest it, even if you don't have any serious addictions to break!
Lyssa Danehy deHart
I started this book due to a work issue, it is really good and has some good new ways to think about addiction, to include all addictions not just alcohol or drugs. Very good info - I am recommending it to people interested in this topic.
Beth
Aug 15, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanton has my respect, psychologist and an attorney, (fights the court villains who mandate AA). His book is forthright, and simple, "Values, Motivation, Rewards, Resources, Support, Maturity, Higher Goals."

Andrea
May 07, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, health
I thought this was worth reading for the chapter on Mature Identity alone. So much of it resonated with what I've experienced in my life.
carrie
Sep 11, 2007 carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this guy is the anti-aa -- and i think he may be on to something -- focus is on self-efficacy in overcoming addictions of all kinds.
Lisa Vegan
Another Mickey Mouse CEU class, but it was refreshing to have another perspective than the dominant 12 step program philosophy.
Zt
Zt marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Sarah Robinson
Sarah Robinson rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Alon Pratt
Alon Pratt is currently reading it
May 12, 2016
Ellen Hart
Ellen Hart rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
FSN
FSN marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Eryn Garrett
Eryn Garrett is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Crimson Clover
Crimson Clover marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Gwilym
Gwilym rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Margarita Newton
Margarita Newton is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2016
Laurence Stoppelman
Laurence Stoppelman rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
James Morgan
James Morgan rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015