Start by marking “Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion” as Want to Read:
Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion

Legionnaire: The Real Life Story of an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This is the story of Simon Murray who was 19 when he joined the French Foreign Legion. For five years he saw guerilla action in North Africa, witnessed preparations for an airlift in support of generals in revolt against de Gaulle, and observed the quarrels and rivalry between the different nationalities in the ranks of the Legion and how these turned to comradeship when u ...more
Paperback
Published February 1st 2003 by MacMillan General Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Legionnaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legionnaire

KOMET
I first became aware of Simon Murray when I watched on TV one night a special program about the French Foreign Legion in which he acted as the narrator. I was rather impressed with him, so when I came across this book (after having read the Douglas Porch history of the Legion in the early 1990s), I was eager to read it.

From the moment Murray enlists in February 1960, he is put through the rigors of training, which at times was quasi-sadistic, for the NCOs exercised considerable control over the
Mike
A 5 year, 4 Star diary of a young Englishman who joins the French Foreign Legion in 1960 when he is turned down by the British Army and is stuck in an iron foundry job. He spends his tour in Algeria, the first two years during the Algerian War for independence. Plenty of patrolling the desert and occasional fighting. The second part of his tour of duty is spent in an FFL moving to a peacetime role. Overall, an interesting picture of the famed fighting organization. Cruel training, lots of wild, ...more
James
A classic military memoir. I can't help but be simultaneously struck by the youthful energy of this five-year diary and at the same time by the unusual level of insight and reflection on his own thoughts, actions, and emotions and on the events of the world around him. Mr. Murray is not only an excellent observer and storyteller, he is very tough and very talented, as shown both by his accomplishments during his five years in the Legion and by his success in the business world in the decades aft ...more
Mike Steinborn
A good book to read when you're feeling sorry for yourself, when you're feeling that your life is just too hard. When I read about the hardships, punishment, and outright sadism Simon Murray experienced in his five years in the French Foreign Legion, my life appears to be a mere picnic by comparison!

But the experiences also seem to have resulted in a camaraderie with comrades-in-arms that lasted far beyond the five years the author signed up for. And they appeared to have well-prepared him for l
Will
This book is an excellent read. It is just a bunch journal entries composed into a book. The tone changes with the authors mood, and because he is a grunt in the French Foreign Legion, his moods can go from cheerful to royally pissed in a snap. He is a brit so there are some strange words tossed around. My likes about this book are pretty much every thing. My dislikes are, well, I don't have any dislikes. In my opinion, this is a great book.
Biosyd
Why would an Englishman join the French Forign Legion in the 1960's? After reading this book, I still don't know. It was however; an amazing adventure. He was lucky to come out alive...."that which does not kill you, will make you stronger".
Andy Lucy
The seminal book by an Englishman who ran off to join the Legion, Murray served through a very difficult period on Legion history. De Gaulle, after having promised the pieds noir and the Legion that Algeria would always remain l'Algérie Française, reneged on his promise in 1959, and agreed to allow an Algerian referendum on freedom. Following the vote to separate from France, many pieds noir and some Legion regiments engaged in an attempted putsch, which failed. As a result of this, de Gaulle al ...more
Mike Norris
This is one book that I read over and over again. Simon spent 5 years in the Legion when it was really rough and going through a turbulent time in French history. I enjoy his writing style which makes it easy for me to understand his experiences. Once you've read a bit in to the book you really begin to pull for Simon and hope he makes it through unscathed. I often think of Simon's words when days are difficult and it seems like you'll never get to the end..."never throw in your tennie's".
David Ward
Legionnaire: My Five Years in the French Foreign Legion by Simon Murray (Times Books 1978)(Biography). This is a firsthand account of one who joined the French Foreign Legion for the minimum five-year hitch, and who not only survived but thrived. This is a brutal and fascinating account. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1980.
Robert Strupp
Amazing story.

Normally I shy away from books laid out like a diary displaying dates on every page, but Legionnaire was an exception. Sometimes the training stories got so brutal I had to put it down and sweat. But you can see that after Simon Murray made it through what he made it through in the French Foreign Legion he could do anything. Hell! even Amway would be easy.

Like George W. Bush's biography this one was written clearly and cleanly. And not being a political biography, Mr. Murray simpl
Alexandre Zulato
Mr. Murray has been there and done that. And with a dose of flair rarely seen these days.

Apart from a really impressive first-hand account of a turning point in the Legion, coinciding with the very end and short afterwards of the Algerian War, it is a riveting text, an open-hearted account of a young gentleman's venture through a rough, tough environment, under a humble and positive attitude.

Even readers who are not that much into military history might find this book a refreshing narrative of a
Oliver
Jesus what is it with me and the Foreign Legion? Meant to read this a while back but ended up reading another book on the FFL. This one is a better account; partly because Murray is a more insightful and better writer - he went on to be one of the founders of the Orange mobile network; and partly because he was a legionnaire at the end of the French Algerian conflict when many Legionnaires supported the "pied-noirs" (French colonists) and at one stage planned to parachute into Paris to overthrow ...more
C. Scott
A gripping diary of an Englishman serving in North Africa with the French Foreign Legion from 1960-65... during the Algerian independence. Murray takes you from his first days of enlistment and basic training through hostile action to La Quille, his honorable discharge. Like many men I have idly wondered if I could make it through a tour with the Legion... this unvarnished, grueling tale gave me pause. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in the Legion.
Stephen Rice
First read it when I was 15 and recently reread, a real life Boys Own story of a young Englishman from a privileged background who entered service with the French Foreign Legion.
Perhaps the greatest mystery is why he decided to join, which was never discussed. Set out in the style of a diary, tracing his journey from green recruit to hardened Legionnaire. Almost makes you want to sign up - almost .....
Ian
Bought a copy and read many years ago. Well written and informative account of the FFL from the perspective of a new recruit. Clearly shows how the free-will and conscience of the men is suppressed and subverted so as to turn then into killers, willing and able to attack and suppress civilian populations.
Amar Pai
I enjoyed this book back when I read it... assuming it's the same Legionnaire book. If you get one, open it up and see if there's a chapter called "Playing scrabble with pimps." If so, then yes I can recommend this volume with complete sincerity!
Nash Mascaro Crimson River Productions
Absolutely loved this book. I've always had an interest in military history and the Legion has been something of a mystery to me. This is a great insight into the history and day to day reality of life in the legion. Highly recommended.
Francisco
Un libro increible! Una historia contada desde adentro de la Legión Extranjera, donde se alcanzan las leyendas de los más duros entrenamientos y se alcanzan límites inverosímiles de resistencia. Impresionante.
Nate
"But there is time. And those that totter on the brink, my advice is to go and climb the mountains of life, and do so while you are still young and you will be happy at sixty."
Nick
An honest account of life in the legion, which blends accurate descriptions of battle with insightful observations on being a soldier, and life in general.
Craig
When I was about 16 I daydreamed about running off and joining the French Foreign Legion, well this crazy f#*ker actually did it. An excellent book.
Robyn
Given to my sweetheart December 2008. Not sure how he liked it.
John
Five years of hell. Those guys were some kinda tough!
Josh Brace
Josh Brace marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Dusan
Dusan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross
  • Knife Fights: A Memoir of Modern War in Theory and Practice
  • The Village
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet
  • Desperate Lands: The War on Terror Through the Eyes of a Special Forces Soldier
  • Devil's Guard
  • Life in the French Foreign Legion: How to Join and What to Expect When You Get There
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front (Modern War Studies (Paper)
  • Street Without Joy
  • Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq
  • Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper
  • River of Time
  • Warrior: An Autobiography
  • Defeat: Napoleon's Russian Campaign
  • Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front
Adventurer and businessman Simon Murray. As a teenager, nursing a broken heart and determined to prove himself, he joined the French Foreign Legion. Fighting in the Algerian war, he risked his life many times over; combat was at close quarters and was very bloody.

Next, he set his sights on business - he ran some of the most well-known companies in South East Asia and was one of Chris Patten's key
More about Simon Murray...
Legionnaire Jacques Lecoq Legionnaire: An Englishman in the French Foreign Legion Legionário: cinco anos na lendária Legião Estrangeira Icky Doo Dah