Start by marking “The Golden Name Day” as Want to Read:
The Golden Name Day

The Golden Name Day

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  293 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
While nine-year-old Nancy is staying with her adopted Swedish grandparents for a year, everyone tries to figure out how she can celebrate a name day since her name isn't Swedish.
247 pages
Published 1966 by Harper & Row (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Name Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Name Day

A Stitch In Time by Penelope LivelyThursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildWhen Marnie Was There by Joan G. RobinsonMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrFather's Arcane Daughter by E.L. Konigsburg
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
62nd out of 320 books — 54 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Arabian Nights by AnonymousGoldfinger by Ian FlemingLe Comte de Monte-Cristo I by Alexandre Dumas
All that Glitters...
114th out of 180 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Marilyn
Jan 04, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
When I read this book, I told the desk clerk in the Children's Room at the Albany Public Library how much I loved it. And I read another by Lindquist as well. Sometime later, when I was back in the library (one of my favorite places), Miss Miller said to be sure to stay around for a little bit and, not long afterward, she introduced me to Jennie Lindquist. Lindquist was the first person to tell me I could be a writer myself, if I really wanted to be. I was too much in awe (a "real" writer was ta ...more
Cheryl
Feb 01, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I must have only had a chance to read this a couple of times when I was young, because not a whole lot of the details stick with me

Enough do that I know this was one of the books that was a big influence on me: the Swedish Almanac with its list of a name for each day of the year, the yellow roses, the interesting names for the animals, May Day baskets, and just the overall joy and love that saturates every bit of the story. So much sunshine, and cheer; everything these folks do is a celebration
Mimi
Aug 04, 2014 Mimi rated it it was amazing
I read, re-read, and loved, this book growing up. I discovered it awhile ago in my keeper YA books, and thought it was time to revisit. It's just as delightful to read it as an adult, each page I turned, I found myself exclaiming, "I remember this part."
A wonderful snapshot of life at the turn of the 20th century, immigrant families, the joy of reading, the beauty of nature, and learning to be enchanted by our surroundings.
One thing I found interesting is that the Name Days are mentioned as be
Jodie Hughes
Jul 06, 2012 Jodie Hughes rated it it was amazing
The Golden Name Day is my favorite book of all time. Every time I re-read it, I am instantly transported to the couch where my mom would read this series to me. This book is literally like a hug from the past. A delightful tale of a little girl visiting a farm while her mother is ailing. The only bad thing about this book is that it is out of print, and therefore extraordinarily expensive to purchase.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My friends and I were so in love with this book that we had a "Yellow Roses" club and to this day kick around the idea of getting matching yellow rose tattoos. One friend STOLE this from the public library; I managed to get my own copy on eBay.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
OH MY GOSH I REMEMBER THIS BOOK. I read it because my fourth grade teacher (WHO WAS ONE OF THE COOLEST PEOPLE EVER, BTW) recommended it to me and I loved it. Wellll in that case I read it seven years ago (damn, that makes me feel old) so I don't remember much about it except for that it was a really sweet story. And there was a nice little detail about the girl reading under a stained glass window and I thought it was a really awesome description. Or maybe that was in another book … I have no id ...more
Rebecca
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
At the turn of the century, nine-year-old Nancy’s mother becomes so ill that she must spend a year in the hospital. Nancy goes to stay in a small town with the Swedish-American Bensons, where she spends a surprisingly wonderful spring full of flowers, friends, and Swedish customs.

This is one of my favorite comfort books; it’s a gentle but lively story full of marvelous details, friendship, and love. In terms of the writing, I love how the author strung the episodes together like charms on the br
Kara
Dec 05, 2009 Kara rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child. Nancy's mother falls ill and she is sent to live with relatives in Sweden. She is bereft to learn that children in Sweden have "name days", like birthdays and that "Nancy" did not exist in the Swedish name day ledger. I remember two things vividly about this book: The yellow rose wallpaper she has in her room (want it SO badly), and when nancy's incessant whining about not have a name day causes her Grandmother to explode and send her to her room.
Joanne Stein
Feb 05, 2010 Joanne Stein rated it really liked it
I never read this sweet, loving book as a child, but really enjoyed it now (as is my 6 year old). The characterizations are full and all the supporting characters truly love and support the main character. A fair amount of humor, craft templates, and Garth Williams illustrations make this book a winner.

Only drawback - it's out of print and can be a challenge to track down!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I found this a pleasant, enjoyable story of a Swedish-American girl and the customs of her relatives. I wish it were still in print!
DianeG
Oct 29, 2013 DianeG rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
I was first introduced to this trilogy while a college student studying Special Education and Children's Lit. I fell in love with the pictures the books painted and the illustrations drawn by Garth Williams. I searched for several years, but finally found the three of them on sale at a library sale of old books. I'm so happy I did. I spent a couple weeks in Sweden as a high schooler with a Swedish family and have never forgotten some of their customs that they introduced me to.
Romina
Jan 01, 2013 Romina rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my favorite books as a child and now I'm reading it to my daughter who found it, became interested in it, and asked me to read it to her. I hope that she can come to love it as I have for so many years!
Wendy
Aug 30, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a young girl, and it is still one of my favorites! A great, sweet story of days gone by filled with wonderful examples of human kindness. A must-read for young girls and older girls alike!
Nancy
May 10, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child, probably mostly because the main character has my first name. But also because of the insight into the family's heritage.
Marian
Jun 26, 2012 Marian rated it it was amazing
I remember really enjoying this book!
Jmgrey
Mar 02, 2012 Jmgrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: j
I adored this book.
Lynn Spencer
Sep 09, 2012 Lynn Spencer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-ya
I'd actually give this one 4.5 stars.

I found this while I was doing some cleaning, so of course I had to stop for a reread. It's an old childhood book from my grandma's house that I loved when I was in elementary school, and it's still a charming read. It's about a girl staying with Swedish relatives while her mother is ill. The name-day of the title refers to the almanac of saints' name days, and the custom of celebrating the one for which you are named. Nancy is a more modern name and doesn't
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 07, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Too bad this book isn't still in print, because it has a lot to teach readers in that just because a person doesn't follow your traditions and culture, doesn't mean they don't have something of their own to teach the world about. It's a wonderful story for readers of all ages, taking place in Sweden.
Thomas Bell
Nov 07, 2012 Thomas Bell rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-honors
I really had a hard time getting into this book even though it was very sweet. Basically the whole book was about how everything is perfect. Even the boys at the school were always kind and helpful. I just didn't find it anything interesting to me at all in it. Well, it had a little bit of Swedish culture mixed in, and it was interesting learning about name days, but not much else.

Ironically name days have been historically much more popular in Southern and Eastern Europe and only became popular
Stacy
Feb 04, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
This was my absolute favorite book in elementary school. I read it several times, and I really need to put some work into finding a copy for myself. I can still picture the yellow rose wallpaper the MC got in her bedroom.
Kressel Housman
Jun 23, 2014 Kressel Housman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
Rating based on how much I loved this book as a kid.
Scott Williams
617d7158-0e4c-40c4-b502-a977412320a3
QNPoohBear
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I was completely captivated by the loving family and their Swedish customs. I wanted a Name Day so badly! I liked the introduction of Wanda and how she becomes the key to the Name Day dilemma. Everything about this book is sweet and charming, especially the cover illustration, which grabbed me from the beginning.
Deb
Oct 01, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a series of three, BTW. The others are The Little Silver House and The Crystal Tree. Nancy's story goes on and is satisfactorily concluded in the two sequels. I read the Golden Name Day as a teenager but did not find the others until later.
Rebecca
Nov 27, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
sweet, tender story.
Cws
Mar 05, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jwaw
JWAW-Lin
Luis Velazco
Luis Velazco rated it liked it
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Kamalin
Kamalin rated it really liked it
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Sugaring Time
  • Like Jake and Me
  • The Secret River
  • The Noonday Friends
Jennie D. Lindquist was a children's book author, as well as an editor for The Horn Book from 1951-1958.
More about Jennie D. Lindquist...