Start by marking “Nausea ” as Want to Read:
Nausea

Nausea

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  53,355 Ratings  ·  1,555 Reviews
In this novel, Antoine Roquentin, an introspective historian, records the disturbing shifts in his perceptions and his struggle to restore meaning to life in a continuing present and without lies. This is Sartre's first published novel and his first extended essay on existential philosophy.
Penguin Modern Classics, 253 pages
Published May 28th 1970 by Penguin Books (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Nausea, please sign up.

Fred Kohn I am currently reading it and am finding that I have to go back and reread certain sections. Also, I cannot read very much without putting it down.…moreI am currently reading it and am finding that I have to go back and reread certain sections. Also, I cannot read very much without putting it down. Like many existentialist novels, most of the action takes place inside the main character's head, which makes it very different than most novels– especially the ones being written these days.(less)
TROY CROWHURST I can understand how this novel can come across as pretty miserable. Sartre was renown for his negative ideas, famously quoted as saying: 'Hell is…moreI can understand how this novel can come across as pretty miserable. Sartre was renown for his negative ideas, famously quoted as saying: 'Hell is other people'. His point though was that by stressing the meaninglessness of life, we are 'free' to create that meaning ourselves 'authentically'. You'd need to check that out. In truth this novel doesn't take us past the first negative stage really and I was told at college that he was probably developing his ideas literally as he was writing this novel. Funny that he was a really social guy always round the Parisien cafes with a reputation as being generous with his tips! More interesting still, is that he was particularly ugly and in recognising his own ugliness and I feel that he as inspired in his negative thinking on humanity ( Only my thoughts though!) Hope you weren't too depressed by it!?(less)

Jahn Sood
Jun 09, 2007 Jahn Sood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who is more emotional stable than me.
I put a longer review of this book / a journal entry that I wrote while I was reading it in "my writing" since it was too long for this page.

6.9.07
Nausea is not a good thing to have as the only thing that belongs to you, and even worse as the only thing that you belong to. It is sickening and dark and so terribly everyday that it gets inside you if you let it. Sartre writes beautifully and describes the physical world in such incredible detail, that if you are a reader, and even more if you are
Florencia
Roquentin, Meursault; Meursault, Roquentin. Now, go outside, grab a cup of coffee and have fun. I'll be here, sitting on the floor surrounded by cupcakes, ice cream and some twisted books, like an existentialist Bridget Jones, just contemplating my own ridiculous existence, thanks to you guys and your crude and insightful comments about life and its inevitable absurdity.

It is a tough read. Especially if you feel like a giant failure that never lived, but existed (to live, one of the rarest thin
Tosh
Mar 03, 2008 Tosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean-Paul Sartre's version of "Rebel Without a Cause" and like James Dean, Sartre himself became an icon. Written in the late 30's, Sartre's study of a man who analyze his feelings, bearings on a world that makes him sick. This book has so much identity to it, that it is almost a brand name for 'youth.' There is nothing better then to be caught reading this novel by a pretty girl in a coffee house. Unless it's Starbucks, and then it is just... pointless.
Andie
May 18, 2007 Andie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
If you live in Florida, lets say Ft. Lauderdale, don't read this book... especially when you're trying to pay the bills by working in a call center and you're aweful at telemarketing and you're roommate is weird and depressed and everyone around you is fake and plastic. That's my only warning. Otherwise, it's a great book.
Kiri
Mar 19, 2012 Kiri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, wow. They should stock this thing in the bible section. Or the adult erotica section, because either way it gives you some pretty intense experiences.

In a nutshell: this book is kind of like an existentialist essay in the form of a diary. It's about this red-haired writer guy Antoine Roquentin, who's recently been overwhelmed with an intolerable awareness of his own existence. Like, super intolerable. Like, a soul-crushing, mind-blowing, nausea-inducing kind of intolerable. It's pretty awe
jack
Jan 17, 2008 jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the smiths, anyone over the age of 18
i found this book at a salvation army when i was 17, i had no idea who sartre was, i just liked the description on the back and it sounded really depressing which i was into at the time. i kept trying to read it for the next five years but could never get past the first ten pages or so because it would just bum me out too much.

i finally read it when i had just graduated from college. i'm glad that i waited that long because i don't think i would have gotten the joke until then. in much the same
Farshad Firuzi
Jul 04, 2015 Farshad Firuzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
محشر بود. انگار داشتم زندگی خودم رو میخوندم. نوشته های کتاب رو سطر به سطر زندگی کردم. از همون شروع به خودم گفتم "عجب صحنه روشنی" "چقدر همه این نوشته ها زنده اس." بعضی از صفحه های کتاب اونقدر زیبا بود که برمیگشتم و دوباره و سه باره میخوندم. توی بیشتر صفحه های کتاب یه خلاء و یه پوچی خاص وجود داشت که روح من رو جذب می کرد. این کتاب دقیقا هیچ چیزی رو روایت نمیکنه بجز خود هیچ.. بجز پوچی.. به جای وجود.. شاید بشه گفت سلوک یک نویسنده در جهت معنا بخشیدن به زندگی.. خیلی عالی و بی نظیر بود. هرچند که به نظر ...more
MJ Nicholls
Dec 09, 2011 MJ Nicholls marked it as dropped  ·  review of another edition
An insufferable philosophical classic, penned in nauseating and styleless first person prose. Roquentin is an arrogant buffoon whose existential woes are trivial, arch and pathetic. No attempt to create a novel has been made, apart from using that most lazy of constructs, the diary, opening the whole work out to a meandering thought-stream of excruciating random dullness. It isn’t accessible to confused students, unless those students happen to be aesthetes on private incomes writing dull histor ...more
mai ahmd
Mar 21, 2012 mai ahmd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

عندما كتب ساتر روايته الاولى التي اشتهرت تحت عنوان «الغثيان»، وكان قد اسماها في البداية «تأملات في الصدفة»، عرضها على رفيقة حياته سيمون دوبوفوار، التي وجدتها مملة ولا تتضمن عنصر التشويق، أعاد سارتر صياغتها قبل ارسالها الى الناشر
الفرنسي «غاليمار»، لكن لجنة القراءة رفضتها واعتبرتها غير ذات شأن.
مما أصابه بالإحباط الشديد والاكتئاب
الا أنه قرر التصرف بشكل عملي هذه المرة ملتمسا من صديقه، شارل دولان، التوسط لدى الناشر، غاستون غاليمار. واقترح الناشر تعديلات وتغييرا للعنوان إلى «الغثيان».
وهكذا ظهرت للوجو
Elizabeth Cárdenas
I have to admit that I read this book in the summer between finishing high school and starting college - a time when I felt sure everything I'd been taught was irrelevant. When I read Nausea, I thought and acted like I had discovered the holy grail! I told all my friends (all 3 of them) they HAD to read it. I fell in love with this book with the intensity only a young person in their late teens can. (Evidently not all young people feel this way. My best friend still blames me ruining her summer ...more
Sidharth Vardhan
Loners

“A man rarely feels like laughing alone."

Today we shall talk about a special kind of loners. They are the ones that are lonely due to consciousness. As Dostoevsky's Underground guy, the first loner among our list, said: "I swear to you gentleman, that to be overly conscious is a disease , a real, thorough sickness."

Each of our loners gets Adeline rush when he is around people due to this increased consciousness:

"I am alone in the midst of these happy, reasonable voices. All these creatu
Vit Babenco
May 25, 2016 Vit Babenco rated it it was amazing
The protagonist is a captive of loneliness and time.
“This sun and blue sky were only a snare. This is the hundredth time I've let myself be caught. My memories are like coins in the devil's purse: when you open it you find only dead leaves.”
For him there are no expectations and no changes in life… the world passes him by…
“I can no longer distinguish present from future and yet it lasts, it happens little by little…”
So the protagonist becomes nauseated with reality and his purposeless existence t
Alicia
Apr 06, 2007 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with patience and interest in existentialism
Shelves: philosophy
This was a tedious read, and though a short novel, it took me a couple of months on and off to get through it. Sartre sets out to illustrate/explore existentialism in the narrative form. I liked his similar attempt in the play "The Flies" better, as it had a lot more humor and story going on. If you liked Nadja by Andre Breton, you might be insane but you will probably like the writing style of this novel also. I sometimes wondered if the novel flows better or is more poetic in its native French ...more
Ilenia Zodiaco
Dec 03, 2015 Ilenia Zodiaco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, alieni
Sono in una selva di dubbi e incertezze. è "uno di quei libri", mi sa.
Mitra
هر لحظه را وارسی می کنم, می کوشم تا رمقش را بکشم; هیچ چیز نیست که بگذرد و نگیرمش و

برای همیشه در خودم نگهش ندارم,هیچ چیز, نه لطافت گذرنده ی این چشمهای زیبا, نه همهمه خیابان, نه روشنایی کاذب سحر:و با این حال دقیقه سپری می شود و من نگهش نمی دارم, دوست دارم که بگذرد.

و بعد ناگهان چیزی یکباره می شکند...ماجرا به پایان رسیده است, زمان جریان شل روزانه اش را از سر می گیرد.

سر می گردانم:پشت سرم, آن صورت زیبا و خوش آهنگ یکسره در گذشته فرو می رود.کوچک می شود, هنگام افول خود چروکیده می شود و حالا آغاز با پا
Amir
Jan 13, 2010 Amir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
یکی از شب های خوب زندگیم رو پای این کتاب گذاشتم. شبی که 1 فلاکس چای کنارم بود و تا صبح چای و تهوع
!
Laila
Jun 26, 2015 Laila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okudukça eskiden dikkatimi çekmeyen şeylerin gözüme battığını; ya da alışkanlıkların değiştiğini fark ettim. Eskiden kitap seçerken sadece benden önce okumuş olanların fikirlerine bakar, yayın evi, kaçıncı baskı, çevirmen etkisi gibi unsurları pek dikkate almazdım. Bir süredir alışkanlıklarım değişiyor sanırım. Bu bağlamda Sartre'ın Bulantı'sını almadan önce bir araştırma yaptım.

Bulduklarım arasında kitabın eksik çeviri olduğu da vardı. (kaynak:Hilmi Yavuz okuma notları) minik bir alıntı da ekl
Roya
DNF at 50%

One evening (well technically it was morning), I made the futile attempt to find out what existentialism is all about. I finally found out...at three in the morning. Great fun. Anyway, I got interested enough to read a book on it. I'd never read philosophy before now.

Firstly, I'm not sure if it's just my edition, but the sheer amount of typos throughout this book have made me murderous with rage. It had its moments of brilliance, but most of the time everything felt somewhat vague. It'
Lilias
Aug 28, 2007 Lilias rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: observant loners
Shelves: fiction
I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Full of wit and perfect attention to detail, the narrative chronicles Antoine's thoughts through his diary entries. The only criticism I have of the book is actually also a compliment, which is that the writing so accurately reflects a person's thoughts that the book becomes just as redundant as our thoughts tend to be (...or maybe just my thoughts, hm?). Thus the reading becomes a bit tedious, and that is what stops me, perhaps unfairly, from givi ...more
Stand By Me
Apr 04, 2016 Stand By Me rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo senso di nausea che affligge il protagonista non è rimasto solamente tra le pagine del romanzo, è riuscito a colpirmi trasmettendomi il forte “orrore” dell'esistenza da lui provato ed introducendomi ad una forma di pensiero per me nuova. Devo comunque riconoscere i miei limiti: sono un giovane incompetente e proprio per questo per me è difficile riuscire a cogliere tutti i significati nascosti dell'immensa e complessa opera di Sartre. Cosa che probabilmente mi ha anche impedito di apprezz ...more
Leo Robertson
Apr 28, 2015 Leo Robertson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
That’s right: my meter is pregnant with stars. A full f**king 5 of them. That said, did I understand everything I read? F**k no. (The benefit of asterisks as I plan to swear a lot more :D)

But, many Goodreaders and former me, you can rate something 5* without understanding the whole thing. The reason in this case being that it communicates something to you that you don’t fully perceive, creates dialogue puzzles that peak your curiosity to solve another day and begs for a re-read. But I don’t shy
☽ Moon Rose ☯
"What counts in life is not the number of rare and exciting adventures he encounters, but the inner depth in that life."
---Hayden Carruth, From the book's Introduction

The psychological sojourn of the human mind in a state of undefined anxiety is what Jean-Paul Sartre puts to life in Nausea as it becomes his basis of inspiration to form a narrative style that encapsulates the formless thoughts into the ephemeral world of the physical as the unseen becomes visible in its convoluted form, showing
Justin
Dec 04, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could sum this book up in one word: painful. In two words: painful and tedious. In several hundred words:

As my first exposure to Sartre’s thoughts on existence, Nausea is an effective demonstration of how the novel can lead the reader to examine the surrounding world in a different way. Sartre’s observations can lead you to recognize previously unsettling notions and feelings within reality.

As the lead character, Antoine Roquentin laboriously records his every thought in his journal (which
Mahsa.Rmt
موقع خوندن"تهوع" انتظار داشتم با کتابی مثل بیگانه و مسخ روبرو شم اما پوچی سارتر کاملا متفاوت با کامو و کافکا بود.درطول خوندن مدام تمرکزم بهم می خورد و برای اینکه تو جریان کتاب باشم باید خیلی به خودم زحمت می دادم.با این حال کوچیکترین نکته ای کافی بود تا منو از روند کتاب دور کنه مثلا یه قسمت از کتاب اشاره جزءی به ناپلئون کرده بود منم تو دنیای رویاهام غرق شدم به فکر رمان دزیره افتادم.
تنها نکته ای که باعث شد به خوندن ادامه بدم_بااینکه 100 صفحه خونده بودم چون احساس کردم تمرکز کافی نداشتم دوباره شروع
أحمد أبازيد Ahmad Abazed
الجزء الأوّل من الكتاب مملّ , لكنّه ربما كان ضروريا لتدخل في فضاء العبثيّة و المعنى الحقيقيّ لهذه الأجساد المتحرّكة على أرض التفاهة , في الجزء الأوّل يقترب أطوان من المرآة و يصف ما يراه , مشهد مقلق , هذا كان بداية الشعور بالكينونة ...
في الجزء الآخر يتدفّق سارتر , و يبدأ العرض , كساحر يجيد فنّه , العبثيّة , الكينوينة , اللحظات الكاملة , الغثيان , الإنسان ... مربك و صادم , ولو عدت إلى وقته كأوّل كتاب لسارتر , و أوّل كتاب يطرح مفاهيمه , فبإمكانك تخيّل مدى ما كانت هذه الحصاة قد أحدثت في واحة الثقافة
Dhandayutha
Dec 11, 2014 Dhandayutha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

Dear Sartre,

Its no novel.It end up pathetically as a mental masturbation.There is only ideas,passages,philosophies the real thing is missing.There is no experience!

Rating: 0/5!
Eadweard
Jan 07, 2016 Eadweard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sartre put into words something that I have felt and thought about for years, something I struggle with every day.

"Objects should not touch because they are not alive. You use them, put them back in place, you live among them: they are useful, nothing more. But they touch me, it is unbearable. I am afraid of being in contact with them as though they were living beasts."
----

"Three o’clock. Three o’clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do. An odd moment in the afternoon."
Mahsa
May 22, 2015 Mahsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
سارتر مقدمه کتاب را با تاکید بر نوشتن دفترخاطرات شروع میکند برای ریز شدن برجزییات واتفاقات کوچک

ونادیده نگرفتن وقایعی که زنگارعادت گرفته اند وهمچنین به این دلیل که معتقد است ادبیات نوعی خروج از

جهان روزمره به سوی خیال، و فهم وادراک نواز واقعیت است

روکانتن ازترس لمس اشیاء دچار تهوع میشودچون گمان میکند که اشیا موجودات زنده اند و او درمقام مدرک

قرارگرفته است و اینگونه

مفاهیم پدیدارشناسانه را تداعی میکند که اگرچه انسان خالق ومبدع طبیعت نیست ولی ادارک کننده واقعی جز

انسان نیست ،مدرک بدون وجود درک کننده
Seemita
Mar 13, 2015 Seemita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Seemita by: Riku Sayuj
Back in my school, when I took “Sanskrit” for the first time as a language, I was fascinated by it. Like Mathematics, I felt that anything and everything could be explained by Sanskrit. The language of the wise and experienced, it had its roots dating back to millions of centuries and was contributed to swell to its current form by thousands of brilliant minds and astute practitioners of life and non-life forms. The stream was so vivacious and bountiful that by just touching its surface, i.e., b ...more
Ben Loory
Nov 29, 2009 Ben Loory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i am not a philosopher. words without pictures mean nothing to me. i once read Being and Nothingness. it was like eating a piece of wood. i ate the whole thing and then when i was done, i didn't even feel sick. i just felt like my teeth were about to fall out.

anyway, this book is different. i heard once that in his later days sartre disavowed all his earlier beliefs, his atheism, and became a catholic and believed very much in God. at the time i thought that was bizarre and funny, but after read
Around the Year i...: Nausea, by Jean-Paul Sartre 1 14 Feb 23, 2016 10:32AM
Exploring Existen...: Heavy Sh*t 11 18 Jan 06, 2016 08:47AM
Reading Life - Charlie 1 11 Oct 23, 2015 07:48AM
The Richard Sims ...: Nausea discussion (Possible spoilers?) 5 22 Aug 31, 2014 09:55PM
  • Death on the Installment Plan
  • The Myth of Sisyphus
  • The Blood of Others
  • Existentialism from Dostoevsky to Sartre
  • The Voyeur
  • W, or the Memory of Childhood
  • The Holy Terrors
  • In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (In Search of Lost Time, #2)
  • A Short History of Decay
  • The Immoralist
  • Thomas the Obscure
  • The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs
  • Basic Writings of Existentialism
  • Hell
  • Against Nature
Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre, normally known simply as Jean-Paul Sartre, was a French existentialist philosopher and pioneer, dramatist and screenwriter, novelist and critic. He was a leading figure in 20th century French philosophy.

He declined the award of the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature "for his work which, rich in ideas and filled with the spirit of freedom and the quest for truth, has ex
More about Jean-Paul Sartre...

“I am alone in the midst of these happy, reasonable voices. All these creatures spend their time explaining, realizing happily that they agree with each other. In Heaven's name, why is it so important to think the same things all together. ” 725 likes
“It's quite an undertaking to start loving somebody. You have to have energy, generosity, blindness. There is even a moment right at the start where you have to jump across an abyss: if you think about it you don't do it.” 693 likes