Start by marking “The Proper Wife (Knotty Pines, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Proper Wife (Knotty Pines, #2)

The Proper Wife (Knotty Pines #2)

Sensible, Settled, Steady...And "not" Sadie Lassiter. Eli Reynolds knows what he wants in a wife, and the flighty Texas girl couldn't be further from the mark. Eli has his nine-year-old sister's welfare to consider--Penny deserves a mother who will give her proper care. But when bad weather strands Eli and Sadie together, he sees a new side to her character. She's ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Proper Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proper Wife

Lyn
Sep 24, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it
This wasn't my first Winnie Griggs' Love Inspired Historical. Winnie appears to excel with stories where a free-spirited heroine meets an uptight hero or vice versa. This book is a story of the former romance. Sadie Lassiter is the free-spirited heroine and Eli Reynolds is the uptight hero.

Eli wants and thinks he needs to find a proper wife who will be a good step-aunt to the little sister in his care. And Sadie is not even on his long list much less his short list. She's too carefree and too c
Judy
Jun 04, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
The Proper Wife by Winnie Griggs
Knotty Pine, Texas
Eli Reynolds has his life pretty well planned out. He is rich enough but still bought a bank in the town of Knotty Pine, Texas. He wanted to start over with his little sister, Penny, and forget about the tragedies of the past. He bought a house that would soon be finished and now he was looking for the perfect and proper wife. Definitely not someone like the hoyden, Sadie Lassiter. When circumstances cause a situation that could ruin their reputa
Michelle
Aug 09, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Knotty Pine
Book 2

I actually read the third book in this series, "Second Chance Family," first, and I read this book second. Now I guess I'll go back and read the first book. I think they would have been more exciting read in order, but...oh well!

In this book, we get to know Sadie Lassiter. I expect she is introduced in the first book. Sadie can't cook very well and is a bit spontaneous and playful, but she has a great heart. She is helping out at the boarding house while Mrs. Collins (widow and
Cathy
Aug 12, 2012 Cathy rated it it was ok
A city slicker young man, Eli Reynolds, becomes guardian of his younger half-sister. In order to provide the 'right' guardian, he moves to a smaller rural town 'out west' and proceeds to look for a wife - no nanny or housekeeper will do. The widow who runs the boarding house might be just the woman to fill that role but before he can make that decision, fate plays him a wicked hand. Reynolds is caught in a sudden storm overnight with the widow's friend, Miss Lassiter. Of course, he does the ...more
Heidi
Jun 11, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
I thought the book started out a bit slow, but once it picked up, it really picked up and I found myself really looking forward to seeing how the romance between the two main characters would develop. I wish more time had been spent on that romance in fact, more so than on the events prior to the wedding. I also disliked how the items from Hawks creek were handled, even in the end. It felt like the male lead changed only a very little on his feelings about that issue, which was disappointing. ...more
Barbara
This story seemed to begin slowly, but I ended up enjoying it very much. I loved the character of Sadie; she seemed to have such a delightful balance of strength and lighthearted cheerfulness. I had a little more trouble caring about Eli; he did change, but I was still left wondering if he had changed quite enough. Many of the family relationships and community relationships in this story are delightful, and the ending is very satisfying.
Paula-O
Apr 19, 2011 Paula-O rated it really liked it
This story by Winnie Griggs called "The Proper Wife" was good little story for quick read, Eli thought he wanted the perfect wife, he had a lot to learn about women and God chose her letting him find out for himself that perfect is not always "Perfect", He finally found a deeper relationship with God along the way and met a woman who was just right for him....
Evelyn
Dec 31, 2011 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and loved it. This author always delights me with her characters. I had read the previous book about the town of Knotty Pine so was familiar with the town and some of the characters, but this book only added to the charm of the small town and those old familiar characters.
Loved it.
April Suter
Apr 15, 2011 April Suter rated it really liked it
In Texas during the 1890's Eli is looking for a wife to help take care of him and his sister. Many candidates just don't meet up with the definition of the "proper" wife. And there is Sadie. Perfect? Not even close, or is she? Events occur that just might make the decision for him. Must of been Someone's plan. Cute story to read for a few giggles.
282 pages
Dorcas
I like Winnie Griggs, don't get me wrong. She writes great books! But this one was a disappointment. Not with her writing but with the character choice. The male "hero" was insufferable. Think "Mr. Darcy" unreformed. Like, who is going to be attracted to an arrogant goody two shoes? He pretty much stays like that too!The female character was very likable and definitely deserved better!
Kelsey
May 07, 2013 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
He's a distinguished man who wants a mother for his sister. She's a woman from Texas helping her aunt with a boardinghouse. Will she agree to marry him and bring joy and faith back to his life? Excellent!!!
Karen Kirst
Oct 05, 2011 Karen Kirst rated it really liked it
This is the first I've read of Ms. Griggs' books and I have to say I was pleased with this story. I like her style of writing. The plot was interesting and kept me intrigued, and the characters drew me in. I'll be looking for the books about the other characters in this story.
Miss
Mar 05, 2012 Miss rated it really liked it
Read it and liked it a lot but I mean if she isn't doing another book on this then I say it is cut off way too short. Want to read more!!!!!!!!
Especially if the older brother gets a wife o.o
Jul 17, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Sadie and Eli's story ended to soon I would have liked an epilogue.
Winnie Griggs writes such fun and meaningful stories and this one has to be my favorite!
Mary Derose
Mary Derose rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2014
Jennifer McClelland
Jennifer McClelland rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Melissa Brasil
Melissa Brasil rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Bailey
Bailey rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Kimmy Stewart
Kimmy Stewart rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Amelia McNeilly
Amelia McNeilly rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Jim Henshaw
Jim Henshaw rated it it was ok
May 16, 2015
Christine Marciniak
Christine Marciniak rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Mommyc
Mommyc rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Leo
Leo rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
Betsy St. Amant
Betsy St. Amant rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Melissa T
Sep 05, 2012 Melissa T rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5? Fun little story. I liked the female main character, and the man grew on me.
Joan Flowers
Joan Flowers rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 18, 2015 08:21AM
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • Patchwork Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #2)
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • Once Upon a Thanksgiving: Season of Bounty\Home for Thanksgiving
  • Prairie Courtship
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • The Champion (Love Inspired Historical)
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • The Gunman's Bride
  • A Convenient Wife
191160
Winnie Griggs grew up in south Louisiana in an undeveloped area her friends thought of as the very back of beyond. With her two younger siblings and another family of two siblings for playmates, she spent many an hour exploring the overgrown land around her home, cutting jungle trails, building forts and frontier camps, and looking for pirate ships on the nearby bayou.

Once she ‘grew up’ she found
More about Winnie Griggs...

Knotty Pines (4 books)
  • The Christmas Journey (Knotty Pines, #1)
  • Second Chance Family