The Blackmailed Bride

The Blackmailed Bride

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The despicable Baron Finley is the last man Lady Olivia Fairfax would want as her husband, but what choice does she have? He holds the secret to a family scandal, and she must bow to his blackmail or see herself and her brother publicly disgraced. Steeling her resolve--and shielding her heart--Olivia is prepared to do her duty to her family...until Nicholas Stuart, the Mar...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Blackmailed Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blackmailed Bride

Megan
Can we just have a book about Gibbons the butler? Because that is one funny dude. I think Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is a direct descendant. I seriously loved the butler.

This book was very well done. It had a lot of funny bits in it that made me laugh out loud. It also had everything I want from a historical romance. BTW, sticking the word "historical" in there allows me to pretend I'm reading something closer to a history textbook than a trashy romance novel. I agree with some re...more
Judy
This is an excellent book.

If you like regency books this is very good and from the Christian perspective.

Mandy has characters who are rakes or accused of being rakes, White's is mentioned, there are balls and musicales.

Lady Olivia is hiding the fact that she found her mother dead with a suicide note, she had rearranged the room so the story would look like an intruder broke in. She hid the truth from all, even her only brother Marcus.

Nick was Marcus's best friend. He was helping watch over Olivi...more
Sadia
This book was alright, I just didn't appreciate the fact that the whole story was loosely based on something that could've been very easily avoided -.-

I just don't see the wisdom in trying to protect or save your older brother from the shattering truth of his mother's suicide years ago. When the book initially started with Olivia depositing a Ming Vase at the top of an over zealous fop's head I laughed and was happy to know she had spunk. I figured nothing she'd do in this book would be dull or...more
Karen
Returned spy, Marques, Earl, intelligent young woman blackmail elements that should make a good romance but not in this case. Besides being too preachy it was ridiculous that an intelligent woman would consider marriage with such a vile man especially when she had two powerful allies and the confidence of a dutchess. Well written but board to tears.
Misty
Did I leave a review for this book yet? I know I rated it but sometimes I forget if I actually reviewed it or not. :)

ANYWAY, this book was awesome!! The writing was quick pace, the characters amazing. I kept wanting to smack some sense into Olivia which just goes to show how well written she was. In fact the book was SO well written I kept finding myself skimming - not because I was bored but because I wanted to FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED AND COULDN'T STAND IT!!!!! :)

Nick and Olivia's brother (whose...more
Amy
This book was a sweet and clean read. It is Christian fiction so there are some "coming to God" parts, but I appreciated that they weren't pushing it down your throat every other page and didn't drive the story at all. I was frustrated, like another reviewer said, that despite the fact that the "hero" was a spy by profession, he didn't figure out what was going on with his love at all and, in fact, didn't use his spy qualities at all. I don't even know why they made him a spy because it didn't c...more
Kathy
I actually started this a few months ago and for some reason I couldn't get into it. I picked it up yesterday and liked it. I did feel that the blackmail reason was a little weak and the blackmailer wasn' in the picture enough to feal any real threat from him. All Olivia has to do was tell her loving and understanding brother what was going on and everything would have been resolved. I liked that the main characters had good standards which made them easy to like.

It was a Christian Regency whic...more
Jane
Good clean romance.
Lynette
Where to begin... This book was so frustrating that I was sorely tempted to throw it at the wall. Although I loved Marcus, Nick, and Olivia, she said it best when she said she was an idiot. I was telling her that through most of the book. For a girl who bashed someone over the head for kissing her against her wishes, she sure gave in easily when she was blackmailed. I expected more...at least for her to try and solve the problem, not just give in.
Josephine
This was Christian fiction disguised as regency romance. It was so lame! Besides the fact that it was so boring, it didn't feel like it was in context. I got %30 of the way through and finally gave up and returned it to Amazon when the main guy character feels like he's attracted to the main girl character but he knows he shouldn't be because he is an upright Christian and he could never marry an unbeliever. That was when I rolled my eyes and returned it.
Suzie
Loved the beginning of this book and wish the butler would have sprinkled his humor throughout the story! I found the middle dragging and I questioned how her brother and the hero could not see there was some blackmail going on. I wish they would have come to that point sooner and spent more time foiling the blackmailer together. Otherwise it was a quick, clean read.
Willi
Nick is friends with Marcus who is Olivia Fairfax's brother. He has come from a lecherous home and parents and has tried to overcome the bad gossip.Olivia has been keeping secrets and is now being blackmailed into marrying Lord Finley or he will tell her brother the truth about their mother's death. Intrigue AND romance. All exciting.
Erin
Quick and clean read. I was frustrated that the suitor - a spy - couldn't figure the situation out sooner. Glad the brother was doing his investigating, but when he started looking into it - why not pull in the spy? Could have taken a lot of pressure off the heroine. I did enjoy it, though.
Victoria Bylin
Every once in a while I take a trip to Regency England. This time I did it with "The Blackmailed Bride" by Mandy Goff. I loved it! The story has oodles of romantic tension, an admirable heroine and a hero who's strong enough to be "alpha" but still a true gentleman. Highly recommended!
Alisa
I just found that she wrote an epilogue for this book here:

If you like this book, be sure to read the second book "Engaging the Earl" which is about Olivia's brother, Marcus!
Patricia
Rating: Between 2.5 and 3 stars.
This was a nice story. It moved slowly at times and I was somewhat frustrated at Olivia's belief in the necessity of secrecy but over all it was a nice story. The Christian sentiments were not overdone.
Kristy
The beginning of this book cracked me up! I loved the butler. Sadly he wasn't a major part of the book. I was hoping his dry humor was going to be dropped in throughout the book. Oh well. It was a good story.
Cheryal
I liked this book. She is a little wordy, but the story was great and she is a Christian author but did really well in incorporating religion without being pushy or obvious. Love regency stuff.
Heidi
For me this book was a page turner! I was always looking to see what the main character or the villian were up to. I also loved the butler in the story. He provided great comedic relief.
Grace
Perhaps because I read 'Engaging the Earl' and then realized it was not the first book; I could not get into this one. It starts out handsomely, but it didn't hook me.
Melissa T
Maybe 3.5 rounded down? :) Fun little regency romance. Nothing spectacular or particularly memorable.
Kirstin
Good clean Christian romance. I enjoy the regency era, and it didn't disappoint on that front.
Tara
a good book, but frustrating to read at times, with all the grammatical errors.
Angelyn
This book had potential but it drove me crazy. I wanted to rewrite it.
Cherie Bush
Easy, quick read. Perfect contrast to heavy, serious reading.
Kathryn
Light and fluffy, Christian regency romance.
Trisha
Clean but a little boring. Predictable.
Lisa
Enjoyable, quick read!
Jane
4.5 Stars
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Hand-Me-Down Family
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • The Protector
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1)
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • The Unexpected Bride (Bowen, #1)
  • The Briton
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)
  • Marriage of Inconvenience
Mandy Goff resides in Greenville, SC, with her husband and four-old-year daughter. She attended North Greenville University and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English. Her first book, The Blackmailed Bride (Love Inspired Historical Feb 2011) earned 4 stars from Romantic Times Book Reviews, and was dubbed a "wonderful Regency romance." Engaging the Earl is her second novel.
More about Mandy Goff...