Start by marking “The Blackmailed Bride” as Want to Read:
The Blackmailed Bride

The Blackmailed Bride

The despicable Baron Finley is the last man Lady Olivia Fairfax would want as her husband, but what choice does she have? He holds the secret to a family scandal, and she must bow to his blackmail or see herself and her brother publicly disgraced. Steeling her resolve--and shielding her heart--Olivia is prepared to do her duty to her family...until Nicholas Stuart, the Mar ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Blackmailed Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blackmailed Bride

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
388th out of 1,020 books — 1,170 voters
The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo MoyesThe Silent Governess by Julie KlassenThe Lightkeeper's Ball by Colleen CobleFor Such a Time as This by Ginny AikenBride by Mail by Katy Madison
"Olivia"
8th out of 101 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
Jul 26, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Can we just have a book about Gibbons the butler? Because that is one funny dude. I think Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is a direct descendant. I seriously loved the butler.

This book was very well done. It had a lot of funny bits in it that made me laugh out loud. It also had everything I want from a historical romance. BTW, sticking the word "historical" in there allows me to pretend I'm reading something closer to a history textbook than a trashy romance novel. I agree with some re
Judy
Mar 28, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book.

If you like regency books this is very good and from the Christian perspective.

Mandy has characters who are rakes or accused of being rakes, White's is mentioned, there are balls and musicales.

Lady Olivia is hiding the fact that she found her mother dead with a suicide note, she had rearranged the room so the story would look like an intruder broke in. She hid the truth from all, even her only brother Marcus.

Nick was Marcus's best friend. He was helping watch over Olivi
Sadia
May 26, 2012 Sadia rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
This book was alright, I just didn't appreciate the fact that the whole story was loosely based on something that could've been very easily avoided -.-

I just don't see the wisdom in trying to protect or save your older brother from the shattering truth of his mother's suicide years ago. When the book initially started with Olivia depositing a Ming Vase at the top of an over zealous fop's head I laughed and was happy to know she had spunk. I figured nothing she'd do in this book would be dull or
Karen
Apr 28, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Returned spy, Marques, Earl, intelligent young woman blackmail elements that should make a good romance but not in this case. Besides being too preachy it was ridiculous that an intelligent woman would consider marriage with such a vile man especially when she had two powerful allies and the confidence of a dutchess. Well written but board to tears.
Misty
Jan 20, 2013 Misty rated it it was amazing
Did I leave a review for this book yet? I know I rated it but sometimes I forget if I actually reviewed it or not. :)

ANYWAY, this book was awesome!! The writing was quick pace, the characters amazing. I kept wanting to smack some sense into Olivia which just goes to show how well written she was. In fact the book was SO well written I kept finding myself skimming - not because I was bored but because I wanted to FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED AND COULDN'T STAND IT!!!!! :)

Nick and Olivia's brother (whose
Amy
Apr 17, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
This book was a sweet and clean read. It is Christian fiction so there are some "coming to God" parts, but I appreciated that they weren't pushing it down your throat every other page and didn't drive the story at all. I was frustrated, like another reviewer said, that despite the fact that the "hero" was a spy by profession, he didn't figure out what was going on with his love at all and, in fact, didn't use his spy qualities at all. I don't even know why they made him a spy because it didn't c ...more
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
I actually started this a few months ago and for some reason I couldn't get into it. I picked it up yesterday and liked it. I did feel that the blackmail reason was a little weak and the blackmailer wasn' in the picture enough to feal any real threat from him. All Olivia has to do was tell her loving and understanding brother what was going on and everything would have been resolved. I liked that the main characters had good standards which made them easy to like.

It was a Christian Regency whic
Jamie
Sep 12, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO TEAM NICK!!!
Melody McBride
Oct 25, 2015 Melody McBride rated it really liked it
Really good! I enjoyed this one a lot. :)
Jane
Feb 27, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
Good clean romance.
Lynette
Apr 02, 2014 Lynette rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Where to begin... This book was so frustrating that I was sorely tempted to throw it at the wall. Although I loved Marcus, Nick, and Olivia, she said it best when she said she was an idiot. I was telling her that through most of the book. For a girl who bashed someone over the head for kissing her against her wishes, she sure gave in easily when she was blackmailed. I expected more...at least for her to try and solve the problem, not just give in.
Josephine
Jan 10, 2013 Josephine rated it did not like it
This was Christian fiction disguised as regency romance. It was so lame! Besides the fact that it was so boring, it didn't feel like it was in context. I got %30 of the way through and finally gave up and returned it to Amazon when the main guy character feels like he's attracted to the main girl character but he knows he shouldn't be because he is an upright Christian and he could never marry an unbeliever. That was when I rolled my eyes and returned it.
Suzie
May 08, 2012 Suzie rated it liked it
Loved the beginning of this book and wish the butler would have sprinkled his humor throughout the story! I found the middle dragging and I questioned how her brother and the hero could not see there was some blackmail going on. I wish they would have come to that point sooner and spent more time foiling the blackmailer together. Otherwise it was a quick, clean read.
Willi
Jun 13, 2012 Willi rated it really liked it
Nick is friends with Marcus who is Olivia Fairfax's brother. He has come from a lecherous home and parents and has tried to overcome the bad gossip.Olivia has been keeping secrets and is now being blackmailed into marrying Lord Finley or he will tell her brother the truth about their mother's death. Intrigue AND romance. All exciting.
Erin
May 23, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Quick and clean read. I was frustrated that the suitor - a spy - couldn't figure the situation out sooner. Glad the brother was doing his investigating, but when he started looking into it - why not pull in the spy? Could have taken a lot of pressure off the heroine. I did enjoy it, though.
Victoria Bylin
Feb 09, 2011 Victoria Bylin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while I take a trip to Regency England. This time I did it with "The Blackmailed Bride" by Mandy Goff. I loved it! The story has oodles of romantic tension, an admirable heroine and a hero who's strong enough to be "alpha" but still a true gentleman. Highly recommended!
Alisa
Apr 18, 2013 Alisa rated it it was amazing
I just found that she wrote an epilogue for this book here:

If you like this book, be sure to read the second book "Engaging the Earl" which is about Olivia's brother, Marcus!
Patricia
Apr 19, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
Rating: Between 2.5 and 3 stars.
This was a nice story. It moved slowly at times and I was somewhat frustrated at Olivia's belief in the necessity of secrecy but over all it was a nice story. The Christian sentiments were not overdone.
Kristy
The beginning of this book cracked me up! I loved the butler. Sadly he wasn't a major part of the book. I was hoping his dry humor was going to be dropped in throughout the book. Oh well. It was a good story.
Cheryal
Sep 02, 2011 Cheryal rated it really liked it
I liked this book. She is a little wordy, but the story was great and she is a Christian author but did really well in incorporating religion without being pushy or obvious. Love regency stuff.
Heidi
Apr 08, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
For me this book was a page turner! I was always looking to see what the main character or the villian were up to. I also loved the butler in the story. He provided great comedic relief.
Grace Masters
Aug 11, 2014 Grace Masters rated it it was ok
Perhaps because I read 'Engaging the Earl' and then realized it was not the first book; I could not get into this one. It starts out handsomely, but it didn't hook me.
Melissa T
Jul 13, 2012 Melissa T rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5 rounded down? :) Fun little regency romance. Nothing spectacular or particularly memorable.
Kirstin
Jul 03, 2013 Kirstin rated it liked it
Good clean Christian romance. I enjoy the regency era, and it didn't disappoint on that front.
Tara
Jan 26, 2013 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
a good book, but frustrating to read at times, with all the grammatical errors.
Angelyn
Feb 26, 2013 Angelyn rated it it was ok
This book had potential but it drove me crazy. I wanted to rewrite it.
Cherie Bush
Jun 23, 2014 Cherie Bush rated it liked it
Easy, quick read. Perfect contrast to heavy, serious reading.
Kathryn
Light and fluffy, Christian regency romance.
Trisha
Sep 23, 2013 Trisha rated it liked it
Clean but a little boring. Predictable.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, quick read!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 07:37AM
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • The Protector
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • The Captain's Christmas Family (Glass Slipper Brides, #1)
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • The Hand-Me-Down Family
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
Mandy Goff resides in Greenville, SC, with her husband and four-old-year daughter. She attended North Greenville University and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in English. Her first book, The Blackmailed Bride (Love Inspired Historical Feb 2011) earned 4 stars from Romantic Times Book Reviews, and was dubbed a "wonderful Regency romance." Engaging the Earl is her second novel.
More about Mandy Goff...