Start by marking “Cuando los mercados chocan” as Want to Read:
Cuando los mercados chocan

Cuando los mercados chocan

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Cuando los mercados chocan es una oportuna voz de alerta ante los cambios fundamentales que están ocurriendo en los sistemas económicos y financieros globales, además de un llamado a la acción para inversionistas que pueden ser víctimas de la interpretación errada de importantes indicios. Aunque algunos se han inclinado a ver las erróneas apreciaciones sobre ciertas clases ...more
317 pages
Published March 12th 2009 by Norma (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cuando los mercados chocan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuando los mercados chocan

Virginie
Mohamed El-Erian has both the private sector and public sector experience as he worked at the IMF, for the Harvard Endowment and Pimco. That is a unique set of experience that he leverages in this book to take both an investor and a policy maker point of view.

He starts providing his "proprietary tool" to identify turning point in the market:
- Observe noises
- Identify the source of the noise that creates an unusual market dislocation
- Be disciplined in treating each episode of such noise as poten
Rahul
Jan 21, 2009 Rahul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mohamed El-Erian has attempted to put together his vast knowledge of the global economy and markets into this relatively light and easy to read guide for investors and scholars alike. His insights into the changing nature of the global economy make this a must read for those who are interested in international finance and global economics, but may have not kept up with some of the more nuanced news in the past few years. While most of the knowledge in the book can be gleaned from careful reading ...more
Robert
Apr 16, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the way El-Erian can reduce even the most complex financial topics down to simple lists and analogies. He is a great live speaker, whether it be on CNBC or in the boardroom, and this translates completely into his writing.
Chow Chun Wo
Jan 19, 2015 Chow Chun Wo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El-Erian snapshotted the happenings of financial market meltdown in 2007-2008 and illustrated the cause-and-effects with his in-depth knowledge in macroeconomics principles, modern portfolio theory, empirical studies on assets allocation, neuroscience, and behavioural finance.

This book is akin to textbook/academic essay. Not an easy read, yet I (gladly) picked up several more jargons, e.g. “The Market for Lemons” and "virtuous circle and vicious circle".

Notwithstanding that S&P 500 tripled
Wael Alghamdi
May 14, 2012 Wael Alghamdi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For ordinary people who wish to understand the global financial crisis that hit the world in 2008
Jeffrey
Jan 30, 2014 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
El-Erian's book is a good overall read and is recommended. However, those looking for all the answers to be laid out are bound to be disappointed. Nevertheless El-Erian excels in laying out the key thematic moves and guideposts for investors to look for - but leaves the reader to do much hard work. But as recently pointed out: “Nothing in life that’s worth anything is easy.” (Sergeant First Class Cory Remsburg)

The first half of the book starts strongly. In particular, El-Erian excels at outlinin
Alessandro Gazoia
Non ho mai trovato una copia di Das Finanzkapital (Il Capitale finanziario) di Hilferding e sono dovuto ricorrere a umili "voci di garzantina" per quel classico. Ho avuto maggior fortuna con questo libro di El-Erian che mi pare ne rappresenti la perfetta attualizzazione, esattamente un secolo dopo.
Piuttosto particolare e felicemente dissonante è la struttura del libro, con parti acutissime di analisi geo-politico-finanziaria e parti efficacissime di consigli per gli acquisti, generosamente (in s
John
Dec 03, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written a good year ahead of the financial crash, this investment guide is spot on. There are two modest criticisms which are barely worth mentioning. The book came out ahead of the crash so some parts may need to be updated or amended (like recommending bond investors check values against a Lehman Index). Secondly, there is some modest horn tooting -- El-Erian did acquit himself at the IMF, PIMCO and the Harvard Endowment Fund before he was lured back to PIMCO -- but he deserves all the accolad ...more
Hundeschlitten
El-Erian is probably one of the smartest 100 guys in the investing world and, while that world has changed alot in the months since this was first published, he is prescient about alot of what has happened since then, and there are many insights buried within this tome. Unfortunately, El-Erian's writing style, like much financial writing, is dull, bordering on unreadable, complicated by his unfortunate tendency to want to kiss the rear end of every major figure in the financial world, like El-Er ...more
Alberto Lopez
Jul 09, 2016 Alberto Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No doubt that Mr. El-Erian is one of the smartest economists in the world. This book is fantastic, although a bit deep for anyone not intimate with economic or financial terms. Mr. El-Erian describes a great way to understand the divergence of key macro indicators such as volatility, equities and bonds during times of change. This book is also a great compliment to "The Black Swan" by Nassim Taleb.
Jan Bos
Mar 10, 2016 Jan Bos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now a dated book, although still interesting to read a book written in the middle of the financial crisis.
James
Aug 10, 2014 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a good book from Mohammed, bit repetitive but underlying themes right
Joel
Jul 25, 2010 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good. El-Erian is the head of PIMCO and the equal of one of the greatest money men to ever live - bond king Bill Gross. He has an interesting discussion of the old paradigm of US-centric markets and the emergence of a multi-polar world, along with a neat emphasis on the importance of policy makers considering moral hazard. I was a bit suspicious of his enthusiastic description of many emerging markets (China is definitely not as transparent and easy as he makes it sound). Interesting point ...more
Luc
Dr. Mohamed El-Erian main argument is that the International Financial System is progressing towards new territories and that market participants, including policy makers as well as investors, must plan for a long journey towards a destination that is not yet well define.

As explained in his acknowledgements, the author took his ideas largely from his extensive professional activities, personal discussions and his academic life. This gives this book a depth that help us navigate through the subje
Rob
Jul 22, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better investment books I've read in a long time, but don't expect explicit directions about where to put your money. El Arian is great communicator of big picture themes, and this book shares his thoughts on where the world economy is heading over a multi-decade time period. Breezy at times, and not necessarily anything that someone who reads the business section everyday wouldn't know, but he does a great job of using everyday analogies to convey his message.
Akshay
Sep 06, 2012 Akshay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More interconnectedness of markets - Emerging markets outside of the US are becoming a bigger and bigger part of global markets (SWF and emerging market growth)

Importance of risk management and mitigation - Tail risk is avoided by investors because of the prinicpal / agent problem of "negative carry" for insurance

Portfolio Manager pschology cycle - arete (excellence) --> hubris (excessive pride) --> ate (blind recklessness) --> nemesis (retributive justice)
Aaron
Sep 08, 2008 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
Mohamed El-Erian has had a fascinating and varied career in finance, working for the IMF, a big Wall Street firm, Harvard's endowment and the biggest bond fund manager in the world, PIMCO. But his book is just boring, boring, boring. Other savvy and sophisticated investors like Yale endowment chief David Swanson have written much more useful and accessible books for investors. El-Erian is too caught up with jargon and generalities. I had expected more. Oh well.
Vandita
Pimco's Mohammed El-Erian's book on why we need a 'new normal' because of major changes happening in financial landscape and the (in-)ability of the players to cope with and factor in these changes in their decisions...a little technical, insights which no one will disagree with but written in a boring way. As far as the style of writing an engaging book is concerned, Mr El Erian has a long way to go!
anwar
Sep 02, 2011 anwar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قرأت النسخة العربية من الكتاب
الكتاب رائع و يضم معلومات و تحليلات للتغيرات الحاصلة في الاقتصاد العالمي
الكاتب يبشر بمسار جديد للاقتصاد العالمي و يتعرض بالتفصيل لمسار الرحلة حسب رؤيته و المعوقات التي قد تكتنف الرحلة و الضغوطات التي ستلقي بثقلها على البنى التحتيه و النظم السائدة والكيفية التي يجب على الحكومات التعامل مع المسار الجديد
كتاب يستحق القراءه لكل مهتم بالاقتصاد
Christian
I had high expectations for this book - El Erian is an investment genius - but I have to admit, I found it disappointing. He takes a long, hard look at market structure, and while these insights are both original and important, they don't really apply to the little guy's portfolio. As is usual for these sorts of books, the title promises more bang than the book delivers.
John Hibbs
Jan 24, 2009 John Hibbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book that provides excellent analysis of seeds of current economic crisis. Other parts of book I did not find so interesting.
This is not for the faint of heart. If you don't have a basic understanding of credit markets, economics and financial derivatives don't bother. Start reading the Finance and Economics section of the Economist instead.

Robert
Sep 01, 2008 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have known of this book for a while. I then heard it panned by KSL 102.7. I got a chuckle that they would review this book (same reviewer for the vampire series etc). I thought the book made some great points and arguments, but it did not have some of the structure and formality I was expecting. A lot of typos.
Bev
Mar 17, 2009 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little over my head so I had to go through the book slowly- but stretching is always healthy. However I am sure that for people who work in the investment field it will not be too difficult.

I loved the listening for signals in the noise advice!
Maura
Jul 20, 2009 Maura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it interesting on a macro economics level. Found the information on global capital flows really interesting and useful in terms of thinking about where we are going next. This is not a book to help you invest your portfolio.
Karin
Someone bought this for me. I read over half and then just couldn't do it anymore. The whole thing was lost on me. I had no idea what the point was and I couldn't shake the feeling my time would be better spent on a something else.
Dude-von Dudenstein
there book starts out great but then goes off track with the mention of IMF and HMC (which truthfully is not the most interesting fund) Lot of content is obsolete with sovereign debt crisis happening after the book.
Valentin
Jan 11, 2013 Valentin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written one year before the financial meltdown. Mohamed El-Erian is using an eclectic approach to explain why markets collide. Good analysis, brilliant language, one of the best that I've read ever.
C.J.
Jul 25, 2011 C.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for those wanting some insight into what to expect in the coming years; however, many of Mr. El-Erian's points were vague. The book could have been condensed and filled with more solid writing.
Brian G. Murphy
Nov 03, 2012 Brian G. Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
A guide to navigating the ever more important (and dangerous) global macro environment. Prior to reading, I regarded Bill Gross to be Pimco’s top investor. El-Erian is equally impressive, if not more.
  • The New Paradigm for Financial Markets: The Credit Crisis of 2008 and What It Means
  • Beyond Greed and Fear: Understanding Behavioral Finance and the Psychology of Investing
  • Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment
  • Wealth, War, and Wisdom
  • The Art of Short Selling
  • A Demon of Our Own Design: Markets, Hedge Funds, and the Perils of Financial Innovation
  • Investing: The Last Liberal Art
  • The Financial Numbers Game: Detecting Creative Accounting Practices
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: A Long Short (and Now Complete) Story
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • The Trillion Dollar Meltdown: Easy Money, High Rollers, and the Great Credit Crash
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • Essays on the Great Depression
  • Confidence Game: How Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street's Bluff
  • The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath: The Past and Future of American Affluence
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • The Panic of 1907: Lessons Learned from the Market's Perfect Storm
  • Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse
Dr. Mohamed A. El-Erian is the CEO and co-CIO of PIMCO, a global investment management firm and one of the world’s largest bond investors with approximately US$1.2 trillion of assets under management at the end of 2010.

In his capacity as CEO, El-Erian is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the firm and leading its operations globally. As co-CIO, and together with PIMCO co-founder Bi
More about Mohamed El-Erian...