Start by marking “Ghost Town Treasure” as Want to Read:
Ghost Town Treasure

Ghost Town Treasure

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Gold Rock is fast becoming a ghost town, and Ty's parents have decided it's time to move. Ty doesn't want to leave. Then, just before his family packs up, his friends Nora and Paul come to visit. They've brought their grandfather's diary with its clues to hidden treasure. If they can find the treasure in time, maybe they could save Gold Rock.
Published October 1st 1994 by Puffin Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Town Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Town Treasure

C.
For quite an old novel aimed at a younger audience than I usually read, I couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed “Ghost Town Treasure”. The language is simple, brief, and direct which is fine but the tale is enthralling enough for me to crave a longer novel. Clyde Robert Bulla composed this adventure in 1957 to have appeal for as young a crowd as possible. The effect this creates is like a film, trimmed to the most exciting parts. The succinct journey has room for a more amplified build-up and back ...more
Zechariah Richardson
I read this book when I was 8 years old and read it again and again through to my early teens!
A simple, easy to read book with an adventure that set me on a path to loving the idea of adventure, camping out and it was an innocent time before games consoles and endless TV ruined children's imagination.
I still have the book and I plan on reading it to my grandson when he is old enough to understand.
Ann aka Iftcan
Cute adventure story set in the late 50's in a dieing town in California.

Good read for the 8 to 13 or so age range, especially for active and adventurous boys and girls.
Trent
What a classic children's book! I loved how simple yet gripping the story was. Perfect to read to a 5+ year old, or a good read for someone just old enough for chapter books. (Just less than one picture per page on average.) It is takes place in the long distant days of snail-mail, horses and camping on multi-day road trips, so I don't know how well the modern kid would relate, but it might provide some insight into life before texting. I found this book at Grandma's house and read it to my 3.5 ...more
Dolly
Apr 11, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is an entertaining story set in a ghost town in 1950s California and initially published in 1957. The tale is short and has an old-fashioned charm to it.

I thought it was fascinating that Don Freeman (of Corduroy fame) illustrated the book - the black and white illustrations complemented the narrative very well. Overall, it's a quick read and is dramatic, but appropriate for young children. It has stood the test of time nicely.
Sharon Zink
Another excellent book from Clyde Robert Bulla. It is the story of a boy who doesn't find what he is looking for but does find what he wants far more.
Teaqueen
My favorite of all the Bulla books. Grew up reading this book as a child and now at age 60 I continue to read it. Love the mystery of the diary and the growing friendship between the children. I remember reading it as a child and becoming quite interested in ghost towns.
Natalie
I previewed this for my daughter. She was hoping for ghosts but it's a ghost town, not a town full of ghosts. I'm not sure she'll enjoy the book, although I think my son will some day. It's definitely acceptable for a 6-year-old though.

Update - she read it the whole way through in one sitting. I didn't expect her to like it that much but she talked about it some afterward so she at least liked it a little even though there was no magic :-)
Josiah
In all of his books, Clyde Robert Bulla consistently maintains a quiet narrative with a good-hearted protagonist. Robert Shore's illustrations mark this story well with soft lines and good detail, as Ty-along with his friends Nora and Paul-attempt to keep his ghost town family store in business. This is another really nice Clyde Robert Bulla story.
Liz
Ty lives in a ghost town, but because everyone has moved away, he and his family will have to go too. Two of his friends come to visit and during their stay the three discover a cave. Will gold save the town?
Juniar
Getting to know the bliss of a hobby, collecting rocks. And what a teenager can do to help prevent his town from becoming deserted.
Carly
A blast from the past! I read this when I was young and loved it - just seeing the cover makes me want to rediscover it.
Claudette Gabbs
I read this ages ago, when I was younger. I always liked this book.
Bretton
My favorite book when I was a very young reader.
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Jrw
Jrw added it
Jun 12, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Oct 30, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Mohitpunar
Mohitpunar marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born to be a Writer
Almost as far back as he can remember, Clyde Robert Bulla wanted to write. Born on a farm in a small town in Missouri, Mr. Bulla's first school was a one-room country schoolhouse. One day his teacher asked each first grade student what he or she would do with a thousand dollars. Young Clyde answered that he would buy a table. His classmates laughed heartily, and his teacher was
More about Clyde Robert Bulla...
Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims The Sword in the Tree A Lion to Guard Us Pocahontas And The Strangers The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)