Start by marking “100 Bullets, Vol. 7: Samurai” as Want to Read:
100 Bullets, Vol. 7: Samurai

100 Bullets, Vol. 7: Samurai (100 Bullets #7)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,703 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The multi-award-winning crime and suspense saga continues, with two very different stories of prisoners, cages, and life behind bars. While inmate Loop Hughes is just beginning to adjust to the everyday reality of life in state prison, a new convict is introduced, with ties to Hughes and a very unwelcome agenda. For Loop, survival in lockdown is about to get infinitely mor ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Vertigo (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Bullets, Vol. 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Bullets, Vol. 7

Desiree
Oct 03, 2011 Desiree rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I knew Loop would be back. This time he is in Oz,the HBO show not the land of OZ, and I'm ok with that. I liked the prison setting and of course I like Loop. I am curious to see where this character is going. Will Lono kill him? I am on pins and needles!!
Eric Mikols
Feb 05, 2017 Eric Mikols rated it liked it
Shelves: vertigo
The most coherent volume so far, but then, I feel like I've been reading this forever so my memory is a little untrustworthy.
Erik
Dec 29, 2008 Erik rated it it was amazing
After a brief series of vignettes, Azzarello and Risso return to what they do best in Samurai by crafting two story-arcs which follow-up two characters from earlier volumes. In “Chill in the Oven”, our attention is turned back to Loop – last seen in Hang Up on the Down Low – as he deals with the arrival of Lono to the prison in which he is languishing. Needless to say, heads do roll – as do necks snap. Neither of these characters seem to have much to do with the bigger agenda of Agent Graves and ...more
Emily Green
Oct 10, 2012 Emily Green rated it liked it
In Brian Azarello’s 100 Bullets: Samurai, Lono returns, much more alive than we were led to believe at the end of the last volume. The former Minuteman and current loose cannon has landed in jail after being framed for a bank robbery by Shepherd and Graves. As part of their plot, Lono has been planted in prison to help get a new operative. And the potential operative, in turn, has jammed himself so uncomfortably in the prison machinery that only Lono can save him.

In the second story in Samurai,
Cameron
Jun 10, 2012 Cameron rated it liked it
This was out of stock for awhile, so I had competed the sereis before being able to read it.

As a stand alone it is very good, but the stories don't really add much to any of the characters, if anything it is "shifts" character on one of them - about the only false note in an otherwise "perfect" series.

The first arch is about Loopy "Little Hughes" and Lono meeting in prison, with a nice tail out about Lono and Milo. The second arch is about Jack, and doesn't do much other than say he decides to
Angel
Another good addition to the series. This volumes features two stories. First Lono returns as he is put in prison after events from the previous volume, but we get to see other returning characters. The second story features a corrupt sheriff and a poaching operation. Of the two, I think the first story is strongest. The second story is good, but it did not feel as strong. Although, I get the feeling we may get to see one of the characters from that story later on. I will definitely be looking f ...more
Annette Jordan
Du4
Feb 01, 2008 Du4 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, crime
Two stories contained in this one-off, one featuring a curious situation between Loop and Lono in prison and another with Jack the heroin addict. The Loop/Lono bit is actually kind of funny, and the prison bits are pretty brutal and violent. But again, it's Loop, a character I have little love for. Jack's story is similarly dull and uninteresting because you keep asking yourself where all this is going. One of the best parts of Azzarello's writing is that he pays off questions you have about the ...more
Matt
Dec 22, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
This series is easier to read if I consciously remind myself that all the characters are criminals before I start. Still there was something sympathetic about the jailed wordsmith with a murder charge and a heroin addict with a penchant for tigers.

Update 5/24/13: The questions about who is really dead was little detracting here. The dialogue is not as sharp, but there's more of a focus on metaphor here, which I like. Home stretch!
William Thomas
Nov 19, 2009 William Thomas rated it really liked it
i wouldn't agree that the series is "genre defying", it is noir, postmodern if nothing else, but none of the defining adjectives do it justice. it is a book that transcended the comic book genre and brought vertigo back to life, for me at least. an amazing and complex web of stories, this book gave birth to some seriously amazing series such as Scalped (in its influence, not characters or story).

however disappointing the end of the series was, the beginning was divine.
Brendan Nicholls
Feb 07, 2016 Brendan Nicholls rated it liked it
slow and very drawn out chapter, not one of the most interesting stories. This really did nothing for me and ended with a meh. The problem with these long series is the lag that occurs, very hard to have constant storytelling that lives up to the last book, much like sequels. I just hope the next book delivers and sets the series up for an epic conclusion.
Steve
Jul 25, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
What do you get when you lock together people with power but no brains, people with brains but no power, people with neither brains nor power, and people with both power and brains? Where people have nothing to lose but the stakes couldn't be higher? In the hands of Brian Azzarello you get a great story. The tension just keeps building. Awesome.
M
Aug 01, 2011 M rated it liked it
Fan favorites Loop and Lono return for the seventh volume of Azzarello's gritty opus. Both men find themselves in the same prison with different agendas - yet they are still only pawns in a larger game. We are also introduced to boxer Jack Daw, whose past of drugs haunts him to this very day. Graves's case reveals a very different target for the unbeatable fighter, forcing Jack to face his past.
Carl Nelson
Feb 10, 2013 Carl Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Two solid story arcs in this volume. The stories are well written and I like the minimal artwork. What keeps me from completely loving the series is that, seven volumes in, there's still no character I identify with, and the payout of the big picture story of the Trust and the Minutemen is coming at a terribly slow pace.
Kay
Feb 25, 2009 Kay rated it liked it
This was take or leave in story terms: not the best conjunction of a serialised story and a standalone, but the artwork was stonking - worth turning the pages just for the great illustrations and some really well thought out lettering. An excellent conjunction of talents, somewhat let down by the mismatched stories.
Mark Desrosiers
Dec 22, 2007 Mark Desrosiers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Imagine Oz crossed with the Life of Pi, but populated entirely by menacing muscle-bound men. First half's the brutal prison segment. Second half's a flashback with an angry tiger behind bars. Great stuff.
Koen Claeys
Feb 05, 2013 Koen Claeys rated it really liked it
This is no take-away meal that goes down easy... No sir ! 100 Bullets is an excellent series for people who sometimes want that little bit more out of their comic reading : engaging, complex storylines accompanied by delicious art, ... I'm so hooked.
Brian Longtin
Jan 01, 2014 Brian Longtin rated it liked it
Another collection that obviously bridges meatier chapters that contribute more to the larger story. And as a pair of standalone arcs, not the strongest. Even so, the tone and style is still pure noir bliss.
Jacobi
Feb 29, 2012 Jacobi rated it liked it
Shelves: trades-read
This was the first volume where Azzerello's phonetic spellings of dialog got in the way of me enjoying the story. Still good stuff, but I don't think I gleamed everything that there was to gleam from the prison story arc.
Joseph
Jun 28, 2009 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tiger feels a little out of place, but on the other hand, this entire volume is full of caged animals. Despite not being my favorite collection, it's hard to deny that 100 Bullets is one of the most densely and carefully plotted work I've ever read.
Craig Williams
Nov 20, 2011 Craig Williams rated it liked it
The first half of this volume, while kind of annoying at first, got me interested, and then it abruptly shifts over to an odd story featuring Jack, the heroin junkie that Agent Graves visited in a previous issue. That was kind of annoying. Otherwise, I like this volume alright.
Zoli
May 28, 2014 Zoli rated it really liked it
It's been a while since the last 100 Bullets volume I've read, I've been busy reading a couple other books and comics meanwhile, but it was time to pick up the next volume and continue this interesting series by Brian Azzarello.
Jdetrick
I love when this series brings back characters from previous arcs. One of the strengths of 100 Bullets is how interconnected everything is. These issues again allow us to revisit old characters. Wonderful stuff.
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Dec 08, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, vertigo
Definitely the worst volume so far. Two very unpleasant stories about very off-putting characters, even by this series' standards. They were boring, tough to read and didn't add much to the overall story.
Deepti
Aug 01, 2015 Deepti rated it really liked it
The first half of the book with Lono and little Hughes was awesome. The second park with Jack was alright.
Frank Taranto
Aug 10, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Two wonderful stories. Dark and foreboding as usual, the art is wonderful and the characters are very interesting
waits4thebus
Jan 23, 2012 waits4thebus rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I really liked the prison story, but then it got weird wrapping up with the tiger tale. But I can still feel things ramping up.
Dan
Feb 18, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Alright. Not too big on crime dramas and the prison / ghetto lingo was annoying. I don't think I will read any more of this series.
Sharon
Jan 24, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Good, but didn't move the story along much nor did it show us more about the characters. Nice stand-alone though. Will see if 8 moves us forward...
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
  • Scalped, Vol. 3: Dead Mothers
  • Criminal, Vol. 3: The Dead and the Dying (Criminal, #3)
  • The Losers, Vol. 3: Trifecta
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

100 Bullets (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call