Start by marking “Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)

Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Welcome to Mossy Creek, where you'll find a friendly face at every window and a heartfelt story behind every door. We've got a mayor who sees breaking the law as her civic duty and a by-the-books police chief trying to live up to his father's legend. We've got a bittersweet feud at the coffee shop and heartwarming battles on the softball field. We've got a world-weary ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 385 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Thorndike Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mossy Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mossy Creek

Denise
Mossy Creek is a fictional place in Northern Georgia populated by some very interesting characters, including the mayor, Miss Ida, and many others who exemplify their town motto "Ain't going nowhere and don't want to." Mossy Creek was written by several different authors as a series of interrelated short stories about various characters in the fictional Bigelow County and town of Mossy Creek and its adversary, Bigelow, the town seat. This place reminds me of my own home area and many other small ...more
G
Dec 27, 2012 G rated it really liked it
This was one of the first free books I downloaded from the amazon store to read with my kindle app. Its the first in the series and did capture my attention to search out good buys on the next couple of books in the series to purchase. Its like going back in time to simpler times and life in a small southern town and everything that goes with it. If you grew up in a small southern town, you'll understand the quirkiness of the people and happenings of this quaint little town and it's residents. ...more
Lisa
Feb 16, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of many free books I've picked up on my Kindle.

This one, like many of them, is the first in a series. The idea is to hook you in so you'll buy the others. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

For me, this one dose of Mossy Creek is enough. They're pleasant enough, the people of Mossy Creek, but quickly forgettable, and with so many truly great books out there, why spend money on a series I know to be middling?

If you enjoy the small town, everyone knows your business kind of atmos
Sheena
Jan 04, 2011 Sheena rated it it was ok
I downloaded this for free on my new Kindle. The concept is a little strange. Each little story narrated by a different member of the town of Mossy Creek. It was OK and kind of cute at times. I don't feel the need to pay for further "down home" stories of this type despite the thrown in at the last minute, cliffhanger ending. Just a little too formulaic for my taste.
Paula
Feb 20, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
A great collection of short stories centered around the residents of Mossy Creek. The individuals stories range from heart wrenching to heart warming. Filled with hope and love they wisk you away to a small southern town with the motto "Ain't goin' nowhere, and don't want to." This is the first in a series and I intend to read them all.Easy comfortable reading
Bookphile
Jul 20, 2012 Bookphile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I didn't love every story in the book, there were a couple that I found extremely touching, particularly Casey at the Bat and the story about Jayne Austin. More detailed review to follow.

Complete review:

Mossy Creek's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. The book is really a collection of short stories, each one told from the point of view of one of the residents of Mossy Creek. The strength in this lies in the fact that the reader gets a real feel for the town and the colorful
Lisa
Sep 30, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! My family comes from a little town like Mossy Creek. Since I spent every summer of my childhood enjoying the unique experiences that country life and small towns where everybody knows each other and most people are family in one way or another, I could immediately relate to the town and characters. The sassiness and strong will of those southern women was definitely something I could relate to also. This is a great read for anyone that wants to know what life is ...more
Maurean
Sep 04, 2013 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, ebooks
One of the first Kindle books I downloaded, I didn't know this was a collaborative effort until I finished reading.
This is a collection of short stories, written as a series of letters to one Lady Victoria by Katie Bell, which all center around the characters in the small town of Mossy Creek, Georgia. I loved every single one, and was pleasantly surprised to find there are several more books in this series, so I can find out whatever happened at the Old Mossy Creek High School during that fatef
Bonnie
Aug 26, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful quick read. Like walking into a town and being introduced to the citizens in small groups at a time.

Each chapter is a complete story yet they all come together as an anthology of the fictional mountain town of Mossy Creek, GA. While reading this in a coffee shop my suppressed giggles were overheard and when I answered a question with tears in my eyes I merely pointed to the page I was on, showed the name on the cover and shrugged. The stories are heartwarming and the citizen
Natalie
Jan 28, 2010 Natalie rated it it was ok
This was a collection of short stories all centered around the same southern town. It was OK. It was filled with what I call fluffy stories because they are mildly entertaining to read but there is not really a whole lot of depth to them. The stories are short which in this book limited the character development. The stories were cute situational happenings and the all had a happy ending....of course. The thing I disliked the most about the book was the blatant set up at the end for the sequel.

Nancy
Feb 01, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
This collection of stories about different town members was mostly okay. I liked some stories better than others. I mostly liked it because there was nothing offensive in it--nice for a change! But I felt that some of the stories were a bit contrived and I didn't enjoy the ending--I had no clue what was going on. Overall, this is a nice escape story but will not encourage any deep thinking or soul-searching.
Tracy Y
Jan 13, 2011 Tracy Y rated it liked it
A collection of mostly funny and cute short stories (each chapter) highlighting a particular person (or 2 or 3) in small town Mossy Creek. Each chapter moves to a new person, but brings in those you've met from previous chapters. The stories were good enough - some a little better than others, but in the end, I didn't really have the desire to move on to the next book - never the less, I enjoyed it.
Trina
Jan 07, 2012 Trina rated it really liked it
I started this book December 23, 2011. With the holidays, I had little time to read. I did get to finish this book these past few days. I found it to be a delightful book, with interesting characters. It does reflect on small town living, back in the day, not so sure you could find a place like this today. I did get caught up in the 20 year mystery, and would like to continue to read what happened. I will look forward to reading the sequel
Rebecca
Mar 30, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This series will make you cry and make your heart ache for the "Southern and Gossipy" individuals in the fictional town of Mossy Creek. Reading this series is like sitting at a local "hole in the wall" diner being filled in on all the town gossip! Like be a fly on the wall in Steel Magnolias. I especially liked the character Ida. A tough and no nonsense individual with grit and sass.
I would recommend these as a quick and enjoyable read.
Marcy Heller
Someone put this in our Kindle library so I picked it up for a quick read. Charming characters, but short stories aren't really my thing, especially amassed by different authors. Yet, I have to say that I chuckled through most of the book--kind of a 'Spoon River Anthology' from a quirky cast of Southern characters.
Emily
Jan 11, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
My only complaint about this book is that it tells a bunch of short stories about different individuals and just when I get hooked on the individual's story it's over and the next chapter and story begins. I will probably be reading the next book eventually so I can read more about the town of Mossy Creek.
Sharyn L.
Jan 16, 2011 Sharyn L. rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book was a free kindle download. The story(ies) were compelling enough to keep me reading. Fairly light stuff, but sometimes you just need to read a light book! I didn't like the ending. Basically it was a cliffhanger for the next book in the series. If it is free on kindle, I'll get it. Otherwise I'll move on to another book.
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2010 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-book
Very cute book, I would recommend inter-spersing the stories with other reading material, it is so sweet it will give you cavaties. The character development is great, and just when you want to read more, on to the next character. would have prefered a more cohesive story and each person having their own book maybe
Meagan
I'm glad my book club ladies are enjoying reading so much, but I have to admit: I never thought becoming a librarian would chip away at my reader's soul quite so much. I'm dreading this one.

---

Short stories that read fast. Large print. Sweet and quirky small-town stories. If that's you're kind of thing...
Shelley
Feb 20, 2010 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute collection of short stories all set in the town of Mossy Creek, GA. They were all about the different characters in the town and I really enjoyed it. The stories were short and cute and all had happy endings. They made me laugh quite a bit and I would love to read the next installment of Mossy Creek stories and find out who burned down the high school.

L.T. Fawkes
Jul 27, 2012 L.T. Fawkes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of chronological short stories by various authors featuring the residents of Mossy Creek, NC. The authors manage to create warm and fuzzy while maintaining funny, quirky, and slightly irreverent.

I especially liked Mayor Ida Walker, who is outrageously funny. (Ann Richards (Gov. TX) lives!!) I want to read many more stories featuring her.
Sue
Jan 22, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Mossy Creek books - I've read them all. They are like a visit to a small town...charming, laid back, just enough drama and humor, and even the recipes sound good. A nice escape from the much less pleasant "real" world!
Susan Jones
Oct 10, 2012 Susan Jones rated it liked it
This was a free Kindle download. Entertaining but it seems to try to recreate the "Mitford" series' atmosphere, falling short of that ideal. While I enjoyed some of the stories, others were just blah. Good enough for a free book but I wouldn't pay for it.
Donna
Interesting idea for a series. Different authors write chapters that focus on characters in the small town of Mossy Creek and the characters lives entwine in interesting ways as the writers build on each others stories.
Jo
Jan 11, 2011 Jo rated it liked it
I liked the short story format of Mossy Creek - it was easy to read a chapter and move on. Again, I love books set in the South and this one delivered big time for me. By the end of the book I felt I knew the characters and was just visiting their hometown.
Eileen
Jan 09, 2011 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series of vignettes set in a small southern town. It wasn't what I was expecting--each chapter is like a first-person short story about a different person--but they all tied together and I'm looking forward to finding out what comes next.
Jul 30, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I really enjoyed these vignettes of small town living in Mossy Creek GA. The people were fun to meet an the stories were very touching. Deborah Smith has a way of bringing you right into the town to meet her friends!
Jill
Feb 26, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, southern-lit, 2011
I think I picked this up as a free book in the Kindle store and I'm so glad I did. I really love books set in quirky southern towns and this collaboration is a wonderful addition to my collection. Miss Ida and the gang are characters you can curl up and enjoy over and over.
Alcy_girl
Aug 17, 2007 Alcy_girl rated it really liked it
What a great book. I really enjoyed all the quirky little stories and characters. Although, they could possibly be real life characters! They were great. It actually reminded me a lot of the show Northern Exposure (which I loved!), except at the other end of the States.
Nancy
Jun 09, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. There were times when I laughed out loud and one section where tears poured down my cheeks. Each chapter tells a different story about a different main character but they are all tied together. I highly recommend it.
  • Sweetie
  • The Year She Fell
  • Only You (Angel Ridge, #1)
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • Primitive
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • The Goddess of Fried Okra
  • Raising Jake
  • Booth's Sister
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1)
  • Gemini Moon
  • Bridge To Happiness
  • Twas the Night
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Murder Takes the Cake (Daphne Martin, #1)
  • Exposure
aka Jackie Leigh
aka Della Stone
aka Leigh Bridger

Bestselling Author
Co-founder, co-publisher
Vice-president, Editor in Chief
BelleBooks, Memphis, TN

Deborah Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of A Place to Call Home, and the No. 1 Kindle Bestseller The Crossroads Cafe, A Gentle Rain and other acclaimed romantic novels portraying life and love in the modern Appalachian South. A native Georg
More about Deborah Smith...

Mossy Creek (8 books)
  • Reunion at Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #2)
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Blessings of Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #4)
  • A Day in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #5)
  • At Home in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #6)
  • Critters of Mossy Creek