Start by marking “The Hidden Ivies: 50 Top Colleges—from Amherst to Williams —That Rival the Ivy League” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Based on Howard and Matthew Greenes' years of counseling experience, as well as exclusive surveys and interviews with students, college presidents, deans of faculty, and other administrators, The Hidden Ivies presents an inside perspective of these 50 renowned academic institutions. In this fully revised and updated edition, premier educational consultants Howard and Matth ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Collins Reference (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Ivies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Ivies

Greg
I'm glad this book exists, but I'm a numbers person and I found myself wanting more standardized statistics on each school (although I realize the point is to go beyond that). But each schools narrative contains several of the same statistics: % in greek system, % professors with terminal degree (newsflash its always just shy of 100%), % students from out of state and % international students. If you're going to say it each time, just put it in a table.

The descriptions are funny in how repetitiv
Hong Deng
Mar 02, 2009 Hong Deng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an extremely resourceful book. Students, especially juniors and seniors would find it absoutely handy when they want to learn more about the means of higher education. I was engaged in the detailed explainations of the components in which liberal arts colleges posses. I learned a great deal about what makes an Ivy Ivy. In addition, the book provides insightful descriptions of the 13 hidden Ives that it proposed. By reading through the descriptions of the academic criteria, students' ...more
Christina
Dec 07, 2008 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Mom
Shelves: education, 2008-reads
An in depth take of thirty colleges the Greenes feel comprise the "hidden ivies" of the American higher education system, one of which I wound up applying to one: Washington University in St. Louis. My brother's applying to Reed College, another one included in this guide.

The Hidden Ivies gives a great deal of information, and I particularly liked the student perspective about each college the best. The "ideal student" and "what the college stands for" sections were both a close second.
Alva
Alva rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Evyjo
Evyjo marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Ggtnote
Ggtnote is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2016
Megan Payne
Megan Payne marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
knmthomasgmail.com
knmthomasgmail.com rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
F. Lynx Pardinus
F. Lynx Pardinus marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Karen Wallace
Karen Wallace rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Nancy Holt
Nancy Holt rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Tielleu
Tielleu marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Lawrence White
Lawrence White rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2015
Mark Moncino
Mark Moncino rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Richard Staudt
Richard Staudt rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Torialana
Torialana marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Alexandra Perdew
Alexandra Perdew rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Holly Bull
Holly Bull marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Cassie Christman
Cassie Christman marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
4.weekscomcast.net
4.weekscomcast.net rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Books for Everyone
Books for Everyone marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014