A Festival of Skeletons

A Festival of Skeletons

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  13 reviews
At such rare times of self-doubt, Sink usually fell back on his old adage: What I see I cannot change. But in the aftermath of the massacre it sounded somehow hollow. The merkind hadn't been right but she hadn't been far wrong. Fate relied on Sink being a bitter, jaded man. It relied on his hesitance, his resignation. What had Vona whispered to him before they parted ways?...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Crossed Genres (first published November 22nd 2010)

Seak (Bryce L.)
Imagine Susanna Clarke writes a novel set in Ankh-Morpork and you're getting close to RJ Astruc's A Festival of Skeletons.

It's a dangerous business comparing something that's humorous and fantasy with Terry Pratchett - you run the risk of comparing anything remotely funny and that's obviously not true. But, that's why I drew the line at comparing the city of Kamphor, from A Festival, to the famous Discworld city(s).

As the publisher, Crossed Genres, describes it, Kamphor is a town filled with "zo...more
Liviu
A Festival of Skeletons holds up to its billing as dark comedic fantasy with the character cast from the cover consisting of misfits and freaks.
I liked it and it made me laugh out loud a lot, but I found the wrap-up all ending too cute for the rest of the novel - ultimately it read a bit solipsistic, like the whole universe of the book consisted of the cover characters with no outside world. An A and I will add the full FBc review soon

As promised:

INTRODUCTION: When recently we have got a review...more
Ashley E
A Festival of Skeletons plunges you immediately into a quirky and charming cast of characters, including a crossdressing mortician, a prickly merkind, a charismatic cook and the too-handsome leader of a dubious Fifteen Steps program. These and more are destined to save the city from the strange events that start with the apparent return of "Knife", an infamous serial killer.

I chortled, snorted and giggled my way through this delightful book. With such a unique group of characters, what is not to...more
Tanabrus
Vediamo, cosa ci mostra la copertina del libro?
Un assistente forte e deciso, con problemi nel relazionarsi agli altri, armato di accetta; una cameriera sirena incavolata e intenta a brandire un mocio; un grasso e impacciato ragazzo di cucina; una poliziotta pronta a tutto per farsi rispettare; uno spaventato e complessato uomo d’affari armato di pistola.
E in mezzo a tutto questo, un uomo irriverente, vestito da donna, con in mano un teschio dorato, sollevato quasi in trionfo da un gruppo di sche...more
K. Williams
This book is unlike any book I've read before and that's a good thing because I've read a lot of books. First the characters, the main character is a dimunative cross-dressing, death telling mortician...I KNOW, RIGHT! Then we have his assistant who is a handsome young man in a 12 step program...when you find out his addiction you might be surprised. Then his maid is a merkind, no not a mermaid, a merkind who can live to be 1000, has a connection to the spiritual realm, and has LOTS of orifices!...more
Rosalind M
Far more depth here than hinted at by the cover blurbs and the colorful image. When we first meet the characters, they seem like shallow caricatures. But as the story progresses, the players prove to be multi-faceted, unfolding the storyline in directions I did NOT see coming. Dark humor that leaves you reflecting upon what you'd believe to be the right choice.

Also recommended, though not listed on this site: Astruc's short story collection, The One Called Zeem.
Sherry Ramsey
I picked up the e-version of this book on a whim, when I was loading up my iPhone to go on vacation. What a great choice! The book is definitely quirky, but fun, involving, and a great mystery as well. It held a (somewhat dark) echo of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, without being the least bit derivative (and from me, that's high praise indeed). I'd never heard of this author before but will definitely look for more.
Haralambi Markov
Albeit with some flaws, A Festival of Skeletons remains a must-read. It’s a cruel, humorous page-turner for the wicked at heart. Astruc is a short-story veteran, which explains her self-assured, consistent style and established identity. As Rotten Tomatoes would say: Certified Fresh.

For the rest of the review: http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/?p=...
John Graham
To say this book has a variety of interesting characters is truly an understatement. The story grabs you and keeps you entwined until the last page with plenty of adventure. I was happy to have come across this book on Kickstarter.com and get an advanced copy. Here's looking forward to the next volume.
Glenis
I probably would not have picked up this book (despite it's promised likeness to Terry Pratchett) had I not won it through First-Reads. I did find it entertaining, but sometimes I found that there was so much going on in the story that it almost had a random, train of thought quality to it.
Anke
Jan 09, 2013 Anke marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Stopped reading the second time a woman was reduced to giggles and being happy to join some asshole's harem after a cheesy compliment. Otherwise interesting, but I can't take how Percy's success paints all women as stupid.
Katherine Strangaritch
This book is a great read
Each chapter has tips on practical advice
The cover illustrations are well done
Anna "Andi"
Engrossing, original, and Rachel had warned me so much that I wasn't even shocked by half the content.
Chandni
Chandni marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Sally Geschmay
Sally Geschmay marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Nistarn Vbettencourt
Nistarn Vbettencourt marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Bargle
Bargle marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Nellwyn
Nellwyn marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Marietta
Marietta marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Kimberly Manahan
Kimberly Manahan marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Fred Hughes
Fred Hughes marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Beatriz Garcia
Beatriz Garcia marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2012
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2012