Start by marking “Skinny Dipping” as Want to Read:
Skinny Dipping

Skinny Dipping

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Go skinny dipping with Connie Brockway IN her latest NOVEL

Mimi Olsen is crushed to learn that her family's Minnesota retreat is up for sale. Unless someone can get the cash to save it, the house that's served as a peaceful anchor for generations will go under the hammer. A free spirit like Mimi has the will, what she needs is a way. Moving back into Chez Ducky is a start.
Published January 2nd 2008 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Dipping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Dipping

RomReader
Laidback 41yo heroine has skated through life without being responsibility for anybody. Meticulous & career-oriented 44yo Hero is surprised to be so fascinated with her & so is his begrudging 23yo genius son who lives in isolation next to heroine's family-owned vacation retreat. Finding that his anti-social son has been e-mailing her photos of his new dog makes him jump to the conclusion that heroine is conning his son with her spiritual-medium services. This puts a break in Hero & h ...more
MB
1st read 2/11/08: Like "Hot Dish" this is a funny, quirky, & engaging novel! I especially enjoyed the fascinatingly odd characters. And it is so rare to find a romance novel that moves away from the typical cookie-cutter plots. For once, I couldn't guess what was going to happen about 25 pages in. Thanks Ms. Brockway for this enjoyable read.
Gail
This is both a "coming of age" story and a romance. The heroine has spent her life avoiding responsibility, and her summers at the family "resort," Chez Ducky, a big old house (with a couple of ramshackle cabins) on a second rate lake in Minnesota. The oldest woman in the family is, by default and family tradition, the one in charge of the family place. But Aunt Birgie doesn't want the responsibility either. She wants to maneuver the heroine, Mimi, into taking over. Chez Ducky is threatened by t ...more
Ashley
I really liked this one from the romance sector. First, let me say that I've read (and liked) a LOT of romance, and this book is anything but typical. It was one of the rare ones I hand over to my husband after I finish and say, "You'll like this." The characters were quirky and likable, but very flawed, and very funny. Not flawed to the point of dangerous obsession or moral depravity, but just interesting. What drew me to this book to begin with was the back cover that described the heroine Mim ...more
Teresa Medeiros
I absolutely adored this book! I thought Mimi was a great character. I loved the way she matured during the course of the book to show HER true character but I also think she was a bit of "wish fulfillment" for all of us women who are trying so hard to do and have it all in this life only to find ourselves exhausted and burnt out. I'd love to spend a day floating in an inner tube on the lake with Mimi!

I fell in love with the delightful cast of characters, especially Joe, Prescott and "Bill". Eve
Tammy
A free English book what a treat, I didn't even realize this was set in England.
Sophie is an advertising executive trying to meet with a client who won't return her calls.
Matthew Silver sort of ran away for 18 months after a terrible tragedy.
This is a very sweet romance, they have to fight hard throughout this story but I loved the characters. Sophie made me laugh a loud.

Donna
Mimi Olsen is an easygoing, 'let-things-slide' kind of person with as little responsibility as possible. She's a medium-spiritualist who loves summers with her extended family, the Olsens, at Chez Ducky off Fawn Lake, Minnesota. But now the family is talking about selling Chez Ducky which has been in the family over 100 yrs, new money people are buying up land and building bigger homes at Fawn Lake. Mimi's encounter with Joe Tierney and his grown son, Prescott, bring about a change in life she n ...more
Nadine Jones
By page 29 I was enjoying a quality belly laugh. This is unusual. I LIKE to laugh, but it is not easy for me to find books that really make me laugh. Usually they end up feeling stupid or forced or juvenile ... but not this book. Ms Brockway nails it - ludicrous situations that feel completely natural ... and hysterical.

The belly laughs didn't continue for the entire book (but did at times reappear), but I enjoyed this book quite thoroughly. It felt more like a mystery novel than a romance (the
MA
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. 400+ pages and I was sorry to see it end. I got really invested in the characters.
Dpic
Feb 03, 2014 Dpic added it
witty, nice
Bree
I finished this book late last night after taking a few weeks to read it (this is due to my 2 year old not the book's inability to keep my attention). It was a good book but like all books I found some flaws. My peeve was the repetative descriptions of Mimi's "carefree" lifestyle that drove Joe crazy but yet intrigued him. The good was that it was not rushed, the scenes weren't cheesy in anyway, and the story felt real. It is not a chick-lit nor romance book. It is simply a novel for women.
JoAnn
This is a funny and engaging story with a full cast of interesting characters. I picked this up thinking it was a romance, but well into the book I still wasn't sure because the romance is only part of a host of relationships in the story.
I had issues with the heroine's job but the way it was handled and the way it played into the development of her character made it workable for me.
"Moo, Baa, La La La" reference at the end. *smile*
Doris
Mimi Olsen is a fun, engaging character. I thoroughly enjoyed Skinny Dipping. Joe is a lovable, germaphobic, workaholic. Watching an agoraphobic genius blossom, obtain new friends and repair his relationship with his father is not necessarily a new tale, but it is beautifully written. If you're looking for a light, easy read, this is an excellent novel for you.
Jane
May 06, 2008 Jane added it
Recommends it for: romance readers
Recommended to Jane by: the author from a conference
This is a fun read with characters you like with a little bit of everyone in them, or a little of what you would like to have in them. An interesting group of whacky people who we all know someone just like. The banter is fresh and funny with good insight into how our relationships effect who we are. I will read another one of hers.
Heather Hamilton
There is something wrong with being able to describe a novel as a coming-of-age story when the main character is 41-years-old. Being someone who doesn't shirk responsibility, I just wanted everyone to grow up. Many of the most interesting aspects of the story felt unexplored or unfinished. I struggled to finish this one.
Terripatrick
Skinny Dipping by Connie Brockway – Full of great visuals, quirky characters, pampered dogs, a few voices from beyond, and the reader gets to stay with them through all four seasons. I liked that because it offered a greater level of character development than many novels set in a time frame of a few weeks.
Cheer Papworth
I was looking for a "Bridget Jones" type of book and ended up with this wacky story. I had a difficult time relating or even liking the heroine, but there were some really wild characters in this book. I did appreciate the idea of a family retreat with a wonderful, nostalgic history.....my family has such as place.
Jenny Rebecca
After all the vampire/magic books I've been reading, I needed something to clear the head. I love Connie Brockway's historical romance novels. I have to say, so far, I'm unimpressed with her foray into modern times. This one was better than "Hot Dish" But still not my favorite.
Beth
I liked parts of it, and I hated parts of it. So middle road for me. I liked that they keep it rather ambiguous as to whether she's really a medium, so that was cool, and I found her a frustrating character, which is part of the reason why I didn't like it.
I still wish Connie Brockway would go back to writing historical fiction (though I understand why she isn't). Still, this was entertaining and a good way to spend a couple hours, but it was light-hearted and I like her darker, historical tone better.
Marissa
I love this unusual, quirky romance. Also, bonus points for the (para)phrase "My family didn't know what to make of my career choice, so in good Scandinavian tradition, they ignored it." I laughed myself silly at the utter truth of it.
Jessica
I'm giving up the ghost. I'm never going to finish this book. I should probably modify my policy on reading EVERYTHING that comes into the house. I just couldn't generate enough interest in the heroine, the hero, his son, or Michigan.
Kimber
This is more of a 3.5 star.

I knew it was going to have a happy ending (based on a friend's review and the genre), but the twists and turns to get there were enjoyable to read. A little unbelievable, but very cute characters.
Bernie Craig
Apr 19, 2009 Bernie Craig added it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read
Liked it a lot since we are preparing for our own family reunion in June. Made me think a lot about family connections, distant and close and how important family is in this increasingly electronic world.
Freda
I am having a really hard time getting into this book. I don't know if I should put it down and try again later; keep going and hope it finally grabs me; or decide it's just not doing it for me and move on.
Alisa
Overall good read. I did enjoy the “spirit” of the book in how this family was trying to preserve memories. Not really any totally memorable moments, so that’s why I’m rating it a 3.
Emilee
Feb 08, 2009 Emilee added it
This was one of the readers choice books and it was terrible. Very boring, not of interest. I finished it just to find out the ending but I don't recommend it.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Funny. Well done -- all the way through. Enjoyed this humorous romp where the characters grew and became better people by the end of the tale.
Amanda
Good romance, a fresh, contemporary story with interesting characters. Just not as funny as Bridal Season. But it is sweet and does the job.
Noelle
more women's fiction than romance. It was fun. I read it because it was a freebie--the writer was a speaker at the RWA conference.
  • Rewriting Monday
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Miracle (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #4)
  • Hot
  • Doing Good
  • Twice the Temptation (Samantha Jellicoe, #4)
  • You've Got Male (OPUS #1)
  • Just Desserts
  • Guys & Dogs (Guys & Dogs, #1)
  • Trouble in High Heels (Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • The Perfect Match
  • Dancing Shoes and Honky-Tonk Blues
  • Coming Undone (Marine, #4)
  • Gone With the Nerd (Nerds, #4)
  • Heartthrob
  • Wild Jinx (Cajun, #7)
  • Blame It on Paris
  • You Only Love Twice
New York Times and USAToday best selling author Connie Brockway has twice won the Romance Writers of America's Rita award for best historical romance as well as being an eight time finalist. After receiving a double major in art history and English from Macalester College, Connie entered grad school with an eye to acquiring her MFA in creative writing. Soon enough she jettisoned the idea of writin ...more
More about Connie Brockway...
As You Desire (Braxton, #1) My Dearest Enemy All Through the Night (Royal Agents #2) The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2) McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)