Start by marking “Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition: The Wisdom of the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  14 reviews
With a new foreword and chapter that address the upheaval that followed the events of September 11, Toward a Meaningful Life is a spiritual road map for living based on the teachings of one of the foremost religious leaders of our time: Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson. Head of the Lubavitcher movement for forty-four years and recognized throughout the world simply as "the ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toward a Meaningful Life, New Edition

Marisabel Bonet-Cruz
You never forget the book you were reading when your Mother passes away. This is mine. It allowed me to cry, to hurt, and to find peace, even if these were not the original reasons why I bought the book.

Indeed, I did not buy this book in order to reflect on her passing. I bought it because The Rebbe is one of those spiritual leaders that inspire me, and allow me to get closer to G-d. I bought it because it is a book about G-d, a topic I enjoy studying, and because it is a book written by a Jew
Char
I have read this book several times since it first came out. I try to read it at least once or twice a year. Whatever your religious background is, this book can speak to many people on a variety of levels.
Carrie
Oct 05, 2010 Carrie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this for a book club. It should lead to some interesting discussions.
Lauren
Oct 30, 2007 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: always-reading
It's as universal as books by the Dalai Lama, Tich Nhat Hahn or the Tao Te Ching.
Joel Kleehammer
I am a huge fan (but not follower)of Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, of Blessed Memory. Simply known as The Rebbe, he led millions of Jews and spread knowledge, wisdom, understanding...and tradition to many more. His legacy is felt all over the world, and this is an excellent collection of his teachings, which really do help a person toward a meaningful life.
Jackie
This book has the root of some very powerful ideas, but they're too condensed here to have much substance. That said, it has ignited my interest in the Rebbe, which I guess was the point of the book in the first place. I hope soon to delve into some of his translated farbrengens.
Eddy
It was okay. The best part of the book for me were the short little stories in italics. Sometimes the main text was too drawn out, but the book is undoubtedly filled with sparks of inspiration and insight which you can take away and be mindful of implementing in your life.
Marnie
This is a great book. You can open to any page and read. After reading a chapter, there is definitely time for discussion. Thought provoking and spiritual.
Robert Cymbala
Interesting how much this book appeals to me after 20 years of orthodox marxism! "It's an inside job." "Nothing has changed, while everything has changed."
Ayala_s
Mar 27, 2011 Ayala_s is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this alongside the Buddhist texts I have been studying is very gratifying and has me understanding it and appreciating both traditions in a new way.
Orit Hausman
I'm actually reading the "old" edition. Very insightful, spiritual and true. It's a must read so far!
Thought-provoking and wise, but a little too condensed. Still, a repeat.
Daniela
This book heightened my life!!!
Lubna
Lubna is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 21, 2014
Nina Mahmodi
Nina Mahmodi marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • The Torah: The Five Books of Moses
  • From Time Immemorial: The Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict Over Palestine
  • God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse On The Essence Of Jewish Existence And Belief
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean: How a Generation of Swashbuckling Jews Carved Out an Empire in the New World in Their Quest for Treasure, Religious Freedom--and Revenge
The Counting of the Omer: Forty-Nine Steps to Personal Refinement According to the Jewish Tradition 60 Days: A Spiritual Guide to the High Holidays Portrait of a Chassid: The Life and Legacy of Rabbi Zvi Hirsh Gansbourg