Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Spirits” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of Spirits

Encyclopedia of Spirits

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Enter the World of Spirits!

The Encyclopedia of Spirits is a comprehensive and entertaining A to Z of spirits from around this world and the next. Within these pages meet love goddesses and disease demons, guardians of children and guardians of cadavers. Discover Celtic goddesses and goddesses of the Kabbalah, female Buddhas, African Powers, Dragon Ladies, White Ladies, Bla
Published September 14th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Spirits

Ariel
I first bought this book while looking for Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia and being unable to find it, I bought the closest thing to it. I'm glad I did, because the two books fill a very different niche.

The first half of the book is dedicated to mostly Wiccan things, so folklorists be warned. Ironically, I don't feel that the actual encyclopedia part of the book really supports the Wiccan part because summoning information and the like is only included with major god
R.i.p.
Jun 12, 2011 R.i.p. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to R.i.p. by: phxrip@gmail.com
These books have never let me down. The encyclopedia of 5000 spells is also an excellent resource and is written by the same author. I also highly recommend buying that book too. What I like about these volumes is the historical research that goes into them. The Encyclopedia of Spirits is a very well written, in depth resource, based on the history and lore of these entities. The part about Bloody Mary will scare the crap out of you though...just sayin'.
Lori Schiele
Over 1000 entries from Aatxe (the guardian spirit of the Pyrenees) to The Zorya (three Slavic goddess sisters of the Sun). Well put together and easily read--definitely worth reading if you have interest in many different pantheons--some forgotten, others still venerated in the present day.It took me months to read through every entry, but was definitely worth the time.
April Parr
What you can't find in "the element encyclopedia of magical creatures" you're bound to find here. Together the two books are a powerhouse. Going into details on the major spirits rather than monsters and animals, this book is a must have for writers of urban fairytale stories based on established spirits. May spirits will seem familiar, while others are bound to be new to you.
Amelia Deluna
Great collection of supernatural information. Not completely inclusive but that almost impossible with this subject. There are a couple of weird posts like Elvis but all in all a pretty good book to keep around especially if your a paranormal writer or anybody that has interest in fantasy or folklore.
Samantha
Really useful for looking some up, and getting a bit of history. With all the fantasy, fiction and fairy tales I read it has really helped add depth to some of the books. Although its a shame some of the references don't have much too them.
Angela Coulter
I LOVE this resource! It has never let me down when I'm looking for information on any historical/mythological entity.

I now have this book in both the physical form and on my Nook because I find it so valuable.
Sylvie
THE reference book that I consult over, and over, and over again. It's fascinating. It's easy to find information. Love it.
Astri
A nice collection with references to entities not ususally found in similar books. Worth checking out.
Gypsy Rose
I love this book. It's super informative and just fun to read!
Deira
Lots of information about diverse cultures, all in one place
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Scook1805
Scook1805 marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Flisan Granberg
Flisan Granberg marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Ainsley Myles
Ainsley Myles marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
E.A.
E.A. marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Tracie Montgomery
Tracie Montgomery marked it as to-read
Ecenhua Maiz
Ecenhua Maiz marked it as to-read
Jojo
Jojo marked it as to-read
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Myk123
Myk123 marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Sarah Jared
Sarah Jared marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Sa
Sa marked it as to-read
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series) (Cunningham's Encyclopedia Series)
Born in New York City, my metaphysical career began early: My first encounter with tarot cards at age six was also my first experience of love at first sight! That passion still burns true. Although I do practice other forms of divination, tarot remains the foundation of my practice.

A lifelong pursuit of metaphysical wisdom followed and continues: astrology, mythology, Kabbalah, the Egyptian myst
More about Judika Illes...
The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells The Weiser Field Guide to Witches: From Hexes to Hermione Granger, from Salem to the Land of Oz The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts