Start by marking “The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty

The Gentle Art of Knitting: 40 Projects Inspired by Everyday Beauty

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
There is a timeless beauty in the simple things of life. The Gentle Art of Knitting captures that everyday loveliness with 40 patterns for practical, easy-to-knit projects made with gorgeous fibers in colors that reflect nature's bounty. Notes and photographs document the sources of inspiration, from a flower to a favorite wine to a treasured book. Here is an unhurried cel ...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Collins & Brown (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentle Art of Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentle Art of Knitting

Maryse
Aug 21, 2011 Maryse rated it really liked it
I ordered this book on a whim and took it with me on vacation. And I did something I rarely do with a knitting book. I read it cover to cover. It's filled with the type of projects that I love. Simple, useful, inspired by color with a bit of whimsy. If I were to write a knitting book it would be like this one. Crochet included.
Mary
Sep 25, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: wish-list, knitting
I borrowed this one from the library, and ended up reading it cover to cover - very engaging writing and lovely timeless projects. Love the philosophy!

Definitely one I want for my own shelves!
Abbey
Nov 29, 2012 Abbey rated it liked it
Recommended to Abbey by: unshelved.com bookclub
Shelves: knit-crochet
Despite my low rating, this is actually a rather nice book - well-produced, beautiful pictures, interesting write-ups. But there are several major difficulties.

Firstly, all the measurements and sizings, both human and needles, are British/metric, with absolutely no conversion charts that I could find anywhere in the book for USA needle sizings or metric-to-inches for the pattern sizes. That's simply thoughtless - many knitters in the USA admire and concur with the ethos expressed in this book (
Nicolette
Dec 30, 2013 Nicolette rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I love the photography aesthetics of this book. I've read it from cover to cover multiple times. The author is engaging and frankly, I like her books. The projects range from beginner to advanced and while I would probably never make a teapot cozy, most of the projects in this book are lovely, functional and doable.

The only negative I have is the acrylic yarn dislike that the author seems to have. I know these books are usually targeted to a certain "group" of women, but I will not be making a
Tilden
Aug 16, 2014 Tilden rated it really liked it
Lots of good patterns for various stuff: egg cozies, wooden hangers, tea cozies, water bottle covers, plus more standard items: blanket, scarves, cable socks, pillows. I might buy the book because her writing style is good and there are many patterns I would make out of this book.
Alisa
Jun 06, 2013 Alisa rated it it was amazing
This book centers on the idea of creating simple, beautiful pieces that provide a sense of peace to those knitting and crocheting the various projects. I love that Jane Brocket includes crochet in a book dedicated primarily to knitting. For me, knowing both gives me a better sense of design construction while also giving me more options for projects for family and friends. Plus that reinforces my belief that all fiber-arts folks should just get along already, appreciating each others' work and s ...more
Mckinley
Sep 09, 2015 Mckinley rated it did not like it
Not my style, colors etc. Variety of knitting projects.
Amanda
May 06, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
I love the simple, practical ideas and patterns in this book. Jane has such a fun perspective to read. I've never wanted to knit a tea cozy before, but she almost has me convinced.
Jessica
Feb 27, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters
Shelves: crafts
A lovely collection of knitting patterns for advanced beginner knitters. Jane is chatty and includes an introduction to each pattern. She also includes Reading lists and Film lists to supplement your fiber experience. I think this is the only pattern book I've seen that also suggests wines to compliment your projects!

One quibble...the book is published in England with no conversions for American needle size or measurements.
Kathleen Dixon
Mar 03, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
I thought this was one of the books that I saw at Knit Rangers (knitting/crochet social group that meets fortnightly), but when I got it home from the library I'm pretty sure it wasn't the one that I looked at there. Never mind. Three of these projects are ones I'd like to do sometime, so it didn't matter!
Danette
Feb 16, 2016 Danette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
I love anything by Jane Brocket! I bought this book and read it cover to cover. I love the pictures, the patterns and the prose. Just thumbing through it on a lazy Sunday afternoon is comforting. I am planning to knit a couple of the aprons found within its pages before too long.
Tisha
Nov 03, 2011 Tisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
While there wasn't a lot in here that I'd actually consider knitting, it is a gorgeous book. The writing, photo styling and the photos are all wonderful and I enjoyed reading the book immensely.
Sara
May 10, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: at-library

I read this book once before but evidently did not remember it. Not a great sign! Tagged a few pillows and a rug, but not a stand out book for me.
Megan
Mar 10, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
Lovely book with very nice practical patterns. I love the author's blog and enjoy seeing her projects and ideas.
Annette
Aug 24, 2015 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Love her style, creativity, ease, knitting domesticity!
Jana
Aug 17, 2011 Jana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You do not have to knit to be inspired by this book!
PWRL
Apr 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Lissy
Lissy rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Susan Buckley
Susan Buckley rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Julie Shearer
Julie Shearer marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Matthew Parsons
Matthew Parsons rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Elletee
Elletee rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Annbook
Annbook rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
[From the author's website:]

My first book The Gentle Art of Domesticity was published by Hodder & Stoughton in October 2007. My second book Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer was published by Hodder & Stoughton in July 2008 and my third book with Hodder Ripping Things to Do was published in July 2009. September 2008 saw the publication in the USA of The Gentle Art of Domesticity by STC Crafts/Mel
More about Jane Brocket...