Start by marking “Anthony Shriek” as Want to Read:
Anthony Shriek

Anthony Shriek

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Buried in the world of his own imagination, painter Anthony Shriek finds his dormant emotions awakened by the arrival of a bizarre and alluring woman whose presence turns his paintings into gateways to another world.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 1st 1992 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Anthony Shriek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anthony Shriek

The Shining by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerComplete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan PoeFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyPet Sematary by Stephen King
The Great Horror Novels
157th out of 170 books — 48 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyENJOY ME by Logan Ryan SmithMy Eyes Are Black Holes by Logan Ryan SmithThe Cipher by Kathe KojaBat Blood by Richard Myerscough
Obscure Horror/Dark Fiction
18th out of 30 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark's Book Nonsense
Oct 18, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Anthony Shriek, a college student and artist, has overcome his horrendous childhood mainly by putting it out of his mind. One day as he is quietly studying in the library a seductive woman named Emily picks him up and his life is forever changed. She claims he is a demon, as is she, which is why she is attracted to him. Her arrival reawakens his suppressed memories and opens up a dream-like world called Nightland where Anthony is forced to deal with strange, twisted versions of his past. As his ...more
Precarious
Oct 09, 2009 Precarious rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. No question about that.

The main characters, Emily and Anthony (Ebony and Ivory), are two aspects of the same force. They alone see through the illusion, even into that reservoir of dread, where all that we have ever hoped or dreamed merges with all we'd denied and feared. This book exposes how each becomes the other and how only we can decide for ourselves which reality manifests. That alignment can mean the difference between survival and insanity.

It is a lovel
Mark
May 06, 2015 Mark added it
I read it over 20 years ago. I didn't think at the time that it was anything special, but here it is 20+ years since and I still think about it every now and again.
Debra
Stephen King endorsed the entire Dell Abyss Horror line. Here is his blurb:

"Thank you for introducing me to the remarkable line of novels currently being issued under Dell's Abyss imprint. I have given a great many blurbs over the last twelve years or so, but this one marks two firsts: first unsolicited blurb (I called you) and the first time I have blurbed a whole line of books. In terms of quality, production, and plain old story-telling reliability (that's the bottom line, isn't it), Dell's
Ralph Carlson
May 24, 2013 Ralph Carlson rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Completely enjoyed it. I have never read a bad book from Dell's Abyss imprint.
Anatha Latshaw
Anatha Latshaw marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Doug Rinaldi
Doug Rinaldi marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
ttb -
ttb - marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Gary McCluskey
Gary McCluskey rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Jtsuruoka
Jtsuruoka marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Lorna
Lorna added it
Jun 13, 2015
Charity
Charity marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Teresa Niedziela
Teresa Niedziela rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Mari Kaczynoki
Mari Kaczynoki marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Mitchel
Mitchel rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Mika O'Donovan
Mika O'Donovan rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Erin Elizabeth
Erin Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

“___It was night. There was a drizzle, so Emily's black Japanese umbrella was up. The two were close beneath it, walking in long strides, beautiful, sinister-looking lovers, narrow squared shoulders in dark coats. A tall pickup truck sped by and a was a phlem struck the edge of the pavement near where they were walking. Emily raised a finger, cocked her thumb, and said, "Bang."
___"Got the left rear tire." said Anthony.
___"The truck rolled," she added, "and burst into flames."
___"He's still alive," said Anthony, "climbing out of the broken rear window, his hair and clothes ablaze, screaming for help."
___"Punky boys come and piss on him," said Emily.
___The discussion was very quiet, very earnest.
___"They put out the fire from his burning body," said Anthony, "but he dies later in the burn ward."
___"His family is relieved and happy," said Emily with stunning finality.
___Twenty-four hours later the spitting driver dies on a suburban highway near his home, his pickup spinning out of control on black ice, the vehicle exploding into flame. Anthony and Emily never know about it, never guess a connection to their curse, having never thought of him a second time.”
3 likes
“When the Universe folds into a sigh,
Withdrawing from all agony and grief,
Time will cease its flowing, and with relief
The cosmic Breath will freeze and Time will die.
Evil souls that once were us arise
To devour the corpse, like clouds of flies.”
3 likes