Start by marking “Me, Just Different” as Want to Read:
Me, Just Different

Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  378 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Debut novelist Stephanie Morrill opens her first young adult series with a compelling story about characters every teen will recognize and relate to.
Published July 1st 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Me, Just Different, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, Just Different

Rachelle Rea
Dec 05, 2011 Rachelle Rea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just put down the last book in The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series. For the second time.

I can only remember one other contemporary YA series of novels that I have ever read. The Diary of A Teenage Girl series by Melody Carlson, the Caitlin O'Conner books. I read that series twice, too, but not within a few months of each other. In fact, I can't remember when was the last time I read an entire series (or even one book, for that matter) twice in half a year. My To-Read List is just that long
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 Jill Williamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Eli rescues eighteen-year-old Skylar from a bad situation at a summer party, she is so relieved that she agrees to start dating him. But she is also making some life changes. No more parties, and she's going to start going to church. But her friends and family aren't making that an easy thing to do. Eli is always jealous and won't come to church with her, her little sister has a secret that Skylar is forced to keep, and her parents' marriage is falling apart. The last thing she needs is for ...more
Cait Grace
Okay! I admit! I judged this book initially knowing it was “Christian”. (I’ve read a lot of super dodgy Christian-fiction books and, let’s just say, I avoid the genre like a tasty human to a crocodile. Um, okay, not my best simile but we’ll move on.) After finishing THE REINVENTION OF SKYLAR HOYT (what a title, though), I honest-to-goodness enjoyed it. (Let me huuuuug this book!)

So, reason #1 why I don’t usually like Christian books: they preach. On-and-on about quick-fixes that’ll solve life’s
Tessa Hall
Feb 22, 2015 Tessa Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked: I love how this story weaves real-teen issues into it's content, and isn't too in-your-face preachy. It was also a very easy read, and the spiritual side to this story seemed real, not too cheesy.

What I disliked: Sterotypical characters that weren't as developed as they possibly could've been. There wasn't anything special about the plot, really. It was just another chick-flick novel for teens about high school drama. Although it was an easy-read, Stephanie Morrill's writing was an
R. G. Nairam
I didn't read this until I got it for free, because it didn't look like my kind of book.

It's not, really.

But for some reason I quite enjoyed reading it anyway? It had some compelling stuff going on, in the midst of the crazy teen girl drama I don't understand in real life, never mind fiction. I liked faults and blame on both sides of the conflicts and the unintentional hurt the characters ("good" and "bad")caused each other. Even though I saw the romantic pair from the beginning, it became appar
Roseanna White
Jun 30, 2009 Roseanna White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skylar Hoyt has it all and doesn’t know if she wants any of it anymore. She’s the leader of the popular girls, has a boyfriend who’s off the cute-meter, is known for her exotic Hawaiian looks . . . and is seriously wondering what it all matters. A near-disaster at a party when she had too much to drink scares her back to the straight and narrow—but when her family’s tossed into crisis, she has to think it’s too little too late.

Her parents are constantly fighting. Her little sister confides a se
Arielle
Mar 07, 2013 Arielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what people need to be writing for teen girls! I love that it deals with realistic situations and relevant topics like drinking/smoking/rape/pregnancy/peer pressure that teens now days are surrounded by. Set it a typical high school setting, I found myself going back to my own teen years and relating to things going on in the book. A little stereotypical in some areas, so I have it 4 stars. I think the author could have been a little more creative in some things. A strong Christian messa ...more
EmmaTheAmazing
Don't just look at this book, look at the cover with the smiling girl and the school lockers in the backround. Don't just see the green flower or the discription on the back. Why? These traits don't begin to describe this book.
I know, I know. The typical 'don't judge a book by it's cover' stuff.
I will not lie. I picked this book up, not really expecting to like it.
I was so wrong.
This book is addicting and extremely well written. I honestly really liked it, and soon got started on the second one.
Jade
Jan 17, 2015 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit, I didn't think I would enjoy this book. I didn't think I would get past the first 100 pages but boy, was I wrong.

It took me a little while to get into the story because of how much I was adverse to Skylar at first. I thought that I would have to force myself to read the rest but that was most definitely not the case.

I cried and laughed and felt for Skylar as her seemingly perfect life broke apart bit by bit. I watched and dove deeper into the story as Skylar grew less superficial a
Abigail the Fangirl
I really enjoyed this book. Very interesting with some good life lessons. One thing I didn't like was Skylar's personality. She was just almost too bratty, and I really didn't like her. She barely ever had a good moment.
Sofia
May 09, 2014 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS
It's books like these that can make me want to stop reading all together. It wasn't entirely a bad book. It's just that I was so excited to read a book that wasn't completely centred around romance. By the middle of the book, Skylar and Connor were best friends, but definitely not in love. I liked that. But then, by the end, things changed and it was just like every other Christian teen book that I've read recently. Is it such an uncommon idea to have a guy and a gir
Apr 02, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Skylar Hoyt's life changed the night she was almost raped. Vowing to be different, she stops partying and goes back to the youth group she had abandoned when she became popular. Her wild past continues to pull her back as she struggles with a jealous boyfriend, fighting parents, and a sister with a big secret. Will Skylar be able to find herself in the midst of all this chaos?

My thoughts: Although the book starts off shaky as the plot jumps around and the author tries to establish the m
Carman
Oct 31, 2009 Carman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read for teen girls today. Me, Just Different reminded me of Michelle Sutton’s Second Glances series. Both this book and Michelle’s DEAL WITH ISSUES! I love that. Teens today are so deceived by the secular worldview of things, and books like this one are what they need to read. While still being fun, enjoyable reads, they really show the truth of things. They aren’t fluff, like most teen books are nowadays.

I cried SO hard! This book will really make you feel things. I felt so sor
Brenda
Oct 05, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill is a young adult novel, and the first in a series about Skylar Hoyt. This one is very young adult, complete with teen angst, school days, and boyfriends. Skylar is a high school senior, who, after a bad experience the summer before, decides to make some big life changes. She decides to start going to church and to stop partying.

She has a hard time, though, because she's shallow, materialistic and self-centered. Oops, did I say that out loud? Oddly enough,
Fred Warren
In Me, Just Different, We meet Skylar Hoyt fresh from near-catastrophe—a party gone horribly wrong and a date-rape averted only by the timely intervention of a friend. Skylar knows she won’t get another second chance. Her life has to change. Now.

But how?

It’s easy to say you’re going to wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start. Actually doing it is more complicated, and “complicated” pretty much defines Skylar’s life. Her father’s a workaholic oblivious to Skylar’s plight. Her career-focused m
Rosie
May 11, 2012 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Woah. This book is incredible. I related much more to Skylar than I thought I would. I mean, I've never gone to public school, smoked, or went to keg parties (thank the Lord.) But I knew how she felt being with a guy you weren't sure you liked--much less loved. Because I found myself in a situation quite similar to hers. Once I got into this book I could hardly put it down.

Now for more about the book. Skylar Hoyt finds herself changing after a close-call at a party. It's because of this close-ca
Michelle
Me, Just Different was well-written, insightful, and impossible to put down. It's the real deal in that it's an authentic representation of some serious issues. I zipped right through it. There was one point in the story where I cried real tears. That, for me, is a great sign that I cared about the characters. I was so into the story world that I felt something strong enough to be sad over. But it wasn't a depressing sad. It was a healing sad. Sometimes when your life is falling apart, that's wh ...more
Paula  Phillips
May 31, 2013 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about how one moment in your life can cause a domino effect and though it may not seem it at the time , it always ends up being for the better. Meet Skylar , She has everything Friends, Popularity, Parties , The World at her feet until one day her world comes crashing around her . Her Family's falling apart , her sister has a big secret that no-one can find out and the family down the road have moved in and are too perfect too be true. Can Skylar re-invent herself without losing ...more
Laura Smith
Mar 31, 2015 Laura Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Stephanie Morrill nails high school life in the first book of the Skylar Hoyt series. She is not afraid to take on real life issues and show that her characters, like all of us, can be flawed, make bad decisions, and struggle even when they know right from wrong. Life isn't simple or easy, and Skylar Hoyt vividly and authentically illustrates that in a fast paced story that will win you over.
Angeline
Mar 29, 2014 Angeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to write good Christian young adult books without being too cheesy, but this book was pretty good. It had it's cheesy moments, but it was still fun and it was refreshing to read a book with morals. All in all, reading this book made me feel happy.
Peggany
Jan 12, 2016 Peggany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read any lit from the Christian genre or the "book with a teenage girl's face/torso" genre, but this was pretty good. It especially picked up around the end, plus it's set in Kansas City!
Siriana
Sep 03, 2010 Siriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The girl who has it all.
That’s been Skylar’s image forever.
When really, it’s the girl who has it all falling apart.

Her parents marriage is on the rocks, not to mention the mess her little sister’s gotten into.
All on top of her own typical high-school-crap problems.
But things begin to change as Skylar realizes she can’t go on doing it alone, she needs God’s help, especially when it seems like everyone is letting her down.

In this meaningful and thought provoking novel, author Stephanie Morrill te
Tiana
Apr 01, 2013 Tiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book wasn't all that intriguing for me, but the second half made up for it. While I didn't like the main character at first, I found that I did genuinely care about her problems and wanted to make sure she had a happy ending. The thing that I thought was handled really well was that it all seemed very realistic. The problems Skylar faces don't just go away with a wave of a magic wand. Some serious stuff hits the fan, and yet, the resolution at the end is believable. Not eve ...more
Emma
May 09, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book as i thought it was a story that kept me interested the whole way through.
Petra Reini
Aug 29, 2015 Petra Reini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Period. It was perfect.
Sara Bennett
When this was a free ebook a little while ago I got a copy and I decided to reread it. I actually liked it better the second time around and while this isn't a super favorite of mine it is a really good book. And the author is super sweet :) If you are looking for a good Christian YA book to read this is a great one. It does have brief mentions of smoking, partying, and almost being raped as well as teen pregnancy. But it's a sweet story, I'll be picking up the next book in the series soon!
Jillian
Sep 08, 2013 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I recently reread this book and I loved it once again! Stephanie Morrill does a fabulous job with captivating the reader. Skylar is such a memorable character and she remained in my head long after reading. Her story was a real page turner, and I couldn't help but wonder how she would get out of each situation. I found I related to Skylar, even though she didn't seem anything like me at first. This book has found a place on my favorites shelf. Highly recommended to all teen girls!
Cookielover
It's probably not heathy to get too attached to the characters of a book, but can you see that I actually was Skylar as I read? I mean, OMG, this woman can write, I'm thinking on page one. Then I'm at the middle of the book and all I want to do is throw it out the window because can you BELIEVE Jodi has the nerve to say that?!?!
Yeah, maybe not healthy
Anyway, I read this book like four times...ok, ten but its really an awesome book.
Emma
Really more like a 3.5 but hey.
Abigail Geesey
This was pretty much the classic christian chick lit book. Personally I don't mind them, their great to pass the time but there wasn't really anything outstanding. So, that being said it felt like I was reading Melody Carlson but more mild. There were some radical things thrown in that usually don't hit the fan all at the same time but oh well. I found it to be a good casual read. :)
  • The Big Picture (Katie Parker Productions, #3)
  • Goodbye Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #4)
  • The Jerk Magnet (Life at Kingston High, #1)
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • Pressing Hard (Perry Skky Jr., #2)
  • The Wishing Pearl (Diamond Estates, #1)
  • Found in Translation (Altered Hearts, #1)
  • Blessings in Disguise (Good Girlz, #2)
  • The Invisible Arab: The Promise and Peril of the Arab Revolutions
  • The Arab Uprising: The Wave of Protest that Toppled the Status Quo and the Struggle for a New Middle East
  • Right Where I Belong
  • Wish You Weren't Here (Camp Confidential, #8)
Stephanie Morrill lives in Overland Park, Kansas with her husband and two kids. Her only talents are reading, writing, and drinking coffee, so career options were somewhat limited. Fortunately she discovered a passion for young adult novels and has been writing them ever since.

Stephanie is the author of The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series and The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. She enjoys encouragi
More about Stephanie Morrill...

The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt (3 books)
  • Out with the In Crowd (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #2)
  • So Over It (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #3)