Start by marking “Call of Cthulhu, 3rd Edition [Box Set]” as Want to Read:
Call of Cthulhu, 3rd Edition [Box Set]

Call of Cthulhu, 3rd Edition [Box Set]

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  3,745 ratings  ·  29 reviews
CALL OF CTHULHU is Chaosium's classic roleplaying game of Lovecraftian horror in which ordinary people are confronted by the terrifying and alien forces of the Cthulhu Mythos. CALL OF CTHULHU uses Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System, easy to learn and quick to play. This bestseller has won dozens of game-industry awards and is a member of the Academy of Adventure Game Desi...more
Hardcover
Published November 28th 1983 by Chaosium (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Call of Cthulhu, 3rd Edition [Box Set], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call of Cthulhu, 3rd Edition [Box Set]

Devin
While I was aware of the existence of horror roleplaying games as a young teen - a friend had a copy of Chill, and another friend had a copy of Beyond the Supernatural - Call of Cthulhu served as my most memorable introduction to horror roleplay, as well as my introduction to Lovecraft's work. One of the striking things about the game when I started playing was that it was set in the 1920s, a period I had known little to nothing about. It has since become my favorite horror game, in part because...more
Terence
Dec 04, 2011 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terence by: College-era playgroup
I remember playing this a few times during my UCLA days with a group of fellow RPG enthusiasts (this was the era of 2nd Edition AD&D). The one thing I remember about the game was that the longer one's character dealt with the Elder Gods et al. the greater the chances that one would go insane.
Chris
About time I put this up here. The best roleplaying game of all time to me. I have been playing this game since I was 13 and still play it today 16 years later. Of all the games I have run as GM, this is the one I have run the most, and the most successfully as well. It is probably the only rpg (along with Dying Earth) where I know the rules by heart and do not have to consistently look up reading material.

The percentage system is sublime, but most importantly, unlike most other games, leveling...more
Susan Bin
um why aren't you rpging this right now
Krzysztof
I have a friend who's a long-time Call of Cthulhu GM and player. He always said that if you want to run Call of Cthulhu, reading the rulebook is a mistake. He's 100% right.

Out of this 300+ pages corebook, you need only read the first 100 (the rules themselves), or the first half of the book if you're feeling generous (pages 100-150 is some semi-useful fluff and GM advice). Do not bother with the other 150 pages, because there's almost nothing there worth reading. I skipped the Spells chapter and...more
Chris
It's begining to worry me that I am the only person to have rated any of these games on GoodReads. Am I the only user to enter any RPGs? Fly that freak-flag, I say!

I only played Cthulhu a few times in college. Of course, the premise is promising - its Cthulhu! Who hasn't wanted to do research at Miskitonic, uncover a dark and antedeluvian cult, or die gibbering and clawing at one's skin after seeing the precyclopian horror that man was not meant to know? And there-in lies the draw-back to this...more
Try Ngaserin
Simply one of the best BRPs out there. Get a group of 4-6 and you're set to go. This is a must-try for all RPers, we still run sessions (6th Edition) from time to time so contact me if you are interested.
Jay Little
Sandy Petersen and Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying game is one of the longest running, most enduring, and most influential RPGS of all time. Over the different editions, I believe it has been translated into more than a dozen languages. The game system is simple, but does an excellent job of evoking the otherworldly horrors and insanity-inducing encounters of Lovecrafts work. It is an important work in the RPG industry.
Thomas Kadim
I have fallen in love with the fiction of Lovecraft. This is by far the most enjoyable pen and paper RPG I have played. The d100 system works great, and really contributes to unique character development. The horror and mystery of Lovecraft creates a suspense like in no other RPG. Almost anything, from a bear, to a zombie, to a trap, can kill you; and yet, the largest threat by far, is your own mind falling into insanity.
Kat
Probably my favorite RPG of all time. The roleplaying is way more important than number crunching, leveling, and min-maxing. It's very difficult not to have good stories with this game, but it's also sometimes very difficult to find a good group to play with. If you're a gamer and you haven't tried this game, you should, especially if you consider yourself mroe of a role-player than a gamer.
Jared
I always enjoyed the subject matter, so trying the game was a natural leap. Sat in on a session of Call of Cthulhu at a gaming con back in 94 and it was not only very imaginative, but the game mechanics were much more fluid than others I had played up to that point. It's certainly worth a look.
Paul
The quintessential horror rpg. A rule system you can write on about 4 sides of A4, one that scales brilliantly when the PCs get more experienced and a setting that leaves the PCs feeling helpless no matter what they know or how experienced they are - what's not to love?
Honeybadger
I really liked the idea of playing a character until they ran out of Sanity points instead of health levels or hit points. You aren't throwing down in battle until you're slain, you're trying to hold on to reality until you go mad. Good times.
Jean-francois Boivin
I have these versions of the rules:

1st edition (box), 2nd printing
3rd edition (box)
3rd edition (UK hardcover)
4th edition
5th edition
5.6.1 (hardcover)
5.6.Corrected (20th Anniversary Edition)
6th edition (30th Anniversary 2011 Edition)
Steve
Okay. This is certainly not for everyone. But if you're the type who enjoys role playing, you should give this a go. You'll have to roll an idea check after reading, because this corebook an *insanely* good time!
Haolen Asakura
Well, this book is the first lovecraft novel that i read and i simply love it, all of it is very interesting its difficult to believe that this is a work of fiction.
Very recomendable.
Noah Soudrette
Nov 22, 2007 Noah Soudrette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans, gamers
My favorite role playing game of all time. Based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and his circle of friends. A must for all role players. It doesn't get any better than this.
Philip
Another pivotal moment- when i was introduced to Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying. Awesome RPG rulebook- one of the best of all time, imho.
Scott Carmody
More of a story game than the typical rpg. Might be better to use for the one shot horror/Halloween games.
Dustin
One of the classics of roleplaying, Call of Cthulhu is something everyone should play at least once.
Rodney
An absolute classic in RPGs. Everyone should play this at least once in their lives.
Macamboy
One of the original and still the best. Easy to understand and adopt.
John Michael
This is such a cool game for people who love Lovecraft!
Brian Sammons
Perhaps the best role playing game of all time.
John
fiction,fantasy,science fiction,role-playing game
Chuck
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
JoAnn
Read the original story.
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Vampire: The Masquerade Revised
  • Dungeon Masters Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook)
  • Vampire: The Dark Ages
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Shadows over Innsmouth
  • Dungeons and Dragons Basic Rules
  • Shadowrun (Second Edition)
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Vol 1
  • Cthulhu 2000
  • Mage: The Ascension (2nd Edition)
Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters: A Field Observer's Handbook of Preternatural Entities Petersen's Field Guide: Creatures of the Dreamlands: An Album of Entities from the Land Beyond the Wall of Sleep Shadows of Yog-Sothoth H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands: Cthulhu Roleplaying Beyond the Wall of Sleep (Call of Cthulhu) Ghostbusters (A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game)