Start by marking “All My Friends are Superheroes” as Want to Read:
All My Friends are Superheroes

All My Friends are Superheroes

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  7,202 Ratings  ·  954 Reviews
All Tom's friends really are superheroes.

There's the Ear, the Spooner, the Impossible Man. Tom even married a superhero, the Perfectionist. But at their wedding, the Perfectionist was hypnotized (by ex-boyfriend Hypno, of course) to believe that Tom is invisible. Nothing he does can make her see him. Six months later, she's sure that Tom has abandoned her.

So she's moving t
Published October 19th 1999 by Coach House Books

To ask other readers questions about All My Friends are Superheroes, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Apr 05, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it really liked it
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by the Title and Cover
3 stars. It'll make you smile. The perfect mental gargle after a few heavy novels, creative and just plain fun. Fantasy with a judicious touch of magical realism, everyone in it's a superhero (except for the main character) but they’re subtle about it, we're not talking a bunch of flamboyant cape wearers. Instead each person’s strongest characteristic is what defines their super-power, bet you’ll find yourself wondering what yours would be...
It can be silly, so prepare for a few eye rolling m
Barry Pierce
This is such a nice, short fairytale. Nothing more. You can read it in less than a half hour. Makes you feel happy and full of awe at Kaufman's wonderful story writing ability.
Tfitoby
Mar 07, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
This book is totally adorable. It's not going to change your life, it's not Earth-shattering prose, it's just plain unadulterated pleasure to read.

I wish I could've finished it in one sitting but it's difficult to finish 107 pages on the bus journey to work. But then again if I had finished it without pause I wouldn't have known what it was like to put it down and feel the need to pick it up again.

There's not much I can tell you without spoiling it BUT it is a wonderful love story AND the superh
Melki
Mar 07, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing
Tom is just a regular guy, though all his friends are not. They are SUPERHEROES with SUPER POWERS! True, their powers may be somewhat odd. There's The Businessman who can calculate the net worth of passersby, The Couch Surfer, a man imbued with the ability to live off of his friends' generosity and Tom's new bride, The Perfectionist, whose source of power is her need for order.

Alas, their love story goes pear shaped on their wedding day when a suggestion made by one of Perf's old beaus, Hypno,
Leah
Jun 17, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfectly sweet little book. I read it in less than an hour, which I love.

It has something of the romantic comedy about it, and something delightfully quirky that I have come to associate with Canadian creations - although admittedly I am mostly thinking of Scott Pilgrim here. A little off-centre, a little tongue-in-cheek, it's kind of like one perfect slice of cake: not too big, not too small, leaves you feeling all warm and gooey inside without feeling overindulged.

The little vignettes of t
Sara
Jan 10, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it
Not sure where to start. Well, let's start from the cover: "Buy it, borrow it, steal it but just make sure you read it". Dear Mr. Scott Pack (whoever you are), if I ended up in jail for stealing this book I would be really, REALLY pissed off. I think the author wanted to be all deep and profound, trying to convey a message camouflaged under a weird story (is there a story? I just saw a collection of episodes and descriptions). Well, if there was a message, I thought it was VERY, VERY well camouf ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
Feb 27, 2016 Wiebke (1book1review) rated it really liked it
This was a very fast but cute read. The story is so imaginative. I liked the things that made people into superheroes and the way that affected their lives. And the story about Tom and The Perfectionist is just so cute. I couldn't put it down!

Reread this February 2016 and just loved it like the first time. Go read it, if you haven't yet!
Bill
Feb 17, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So one of my wife's friends recommended this book to me because she knows I love to read and we both read The Martian, so now, apparently we are book buddies. She likes anything Chick-Lit or Rom-Commie, (people who know me, know those are not my preferred genres), so I had more than a smidge of apprehension about actually reading this one. Honestly, I was intrigued by the cover and liked the title, so decided to give it a shot. Glad I did. It was really a very good story and after an initial "Uh ...more
Sarah SE
This book actually changed my life. Almost three years ago, way back when I was still a Masters student accumulating my current mountain of debt, my classmates and I went on a tour of Coach House Books, one of Canada's oldest, most reputable and award-winning independent publishers. I instantly fell in love with the space (an actual old coach house built sometime in the late 1800s), and the Heidelberg-printed books were a bibliophile's dream. I bought a book; this book. I read it, and I've been ...more
Max Urai
Aug 23, 2013 Max Urai rated it did not like it
The title of this book is "All my friends are Superheroes."

Congratulations, you have now read the one good thing this book has to offer.
Lúcia Collischonn
Such a creative take on superheroes. I loved their powers. The story is so adorable :) the perfect cure for a reading hangover. Loved it ...more
James
Feb 29, 2016 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, comedy, love
A deeply charming story of a man invisible to his superhero wife, the perfectionist. In around a 100 pages Andrew Kaufman takes the wonderful idea of everyday features taken to superhero heights through a simple love story.

The central conceit is that people have a single trait or characteristic, to paraphrase the author, that can be boiled down to a super hero name. As an aside the book also points out that the superheroes in some cases have a hard time coming to terms with their ability citing
Hanne
If you’re ever nostalgic for bedtime stories, the ones that made you float to another world that was both sweet and sad but made you smile all the same, than this is the book for you. Reading this book felt like spending time with some of the best books of my childhood, but then the adult version.

The story is about Tom, a regular non-superhero, who married a superhero (‘The Perfectionist’). On their wedding day however, a mean ex-lover of hers who has the power of Hypnotization made sure that he
Portal in the Pages
Well I am late for work and might have cried.
Evie
Aug 03, 2008 Evie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, favourites
This book was a sweet surprise. I picked it up by chance at a yard sale knowing nothing about it. I started it before bed and when I forgot to take it to work with me the next day, all I could think about was when I could go home to finish it. Completely charming.

EDIT: I have lent this book to three people since I've read it, and all loved it. Even those who are not prolific readers devoured it quickly and joyfully.
MJ Nicholls
The binding in this book is criminal. I mean the 2006 Telegram Books edition. You can barely open the damn thing.

That's maybe a blessing. There are better ways to pass the time than reading 100 pages of saccharine whimsy. This book is so cute I want to punch its face in. Though I am sure it has its admirers.

Francesca
I absolutely loved the ideas in this book. The superheroes and their powers were fantastic and I loved how unique and strange they all were. I liked what the powers represented and I thought there were some lovely messages in here. The story is short and sweet and full of wonderfully strange moments which makes it definitely worth the read. Something about it didn't quite grab me the way it seems to have got to others, though. I really can't place my finger on what it is. Part of me thinks that ...more
Rebecca (whymermaids)
Sep 01, 2015 Rebecca (whymermaids) rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, beautiful, heartbreakingly romantic little book.

I don’t want to say too much about this book, because knowing too much about it ahead of time would ruin a first time reading. What I will say is this book is simple and quick (120 pages) and something everyone should read.

In it’s essence, it’s a love story; a perfect, wonderful little love story told in a unique way, which also praises individuality and personality quirks and fighting to hold on to those things which are real.

D
Joseph
Jan 27, 2008 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Despite what it says in the blurb on the back of the book, this is pretty far from being what anyone might call a "novel." But as a lengthy short story, it's pretty charming.

To be honest, though, a lot of it felt like a compilation of quirky ideas that would have benefited from a little fleshing out. The paragraph-long descriptions of superheroes, for example, would have been more interesting as actual characters with whom the protagonist was forced to interact, rather than merely a clever reapp
Isabel
Feb 19, 2016 Isabel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
As much as I appreciated the concept and delightful way Kaufman executes it, the story failed to warm my heart the way I expected it to. Plenty of quirk, but overall I was rather bored by the narrative and didn't find it entirely cohesive. (2.5)
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Dec 01, 2015 Pranta Ghosh Dastider rated it it was ok
An interesting concept wasn't properly used, that's how this book felt. There were information all over the places, which weren't relevant at all. Main story was tiny and rest of things felt like filler. Some places read nice, and if this was made a short story with only the main part then I would have rated it 4 stars at least.

Either way, I guess this was not my cup of tea. Romance lovers can try this out if they may.
Matt
Feb 03, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise and such a unique story, I'm giving it 4.5 stars.
poiboy
May 29, 2016 poiboy rated it did not like it
This short story tried.. just not very hard. While trying too hard to be like a Neil Gaiman book, it misuses and fails concepts that could have been quite clever. And the ending is one of the laziest I have read in a some time. 1.5 stars.

(The bio of this book seems a bit stretched. Critically acclaimed? By who? I was curious about the author, stated in his own bio as an "accomplished screenwriter". I wouldn't say that writing for a few little known TV series in Canada counts as accomplished.)
Deniz
Oct 29, 2014 Deniz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Benim Bütün Arkadaşlarım Süper Kahraman, 2008 yılında Türkçe'ye kazandırılmış, kısacık, başladığınız gibi biten samimi bir Andrew Kaufman eseri.

Kitabı daha önce birkaç internet sitesinde görmüştüm, kapağı ve ismi de haliyle merakımı uyandırmıştı. Abimin de tavsiyesi üzerine kitap iyice aklıma kazınmıştı ancak almamıştım, bugün abim okumam için bana bıraktı; başına oturduğum gibi de bitirdim kitabı zaten.

Benim Bütün Arkadaşlarım Süper Kahraman mizah yüklü, okuması keyifli bir öyküyü konu alıyor.
Cassandra
Jan 22, 2015 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Alla mina vänner är superhjältar får jag lära känna hela Torontos superhjältekrets. Det finns inga superskurkar, fast superhjältarna tycker att vissa andra superhjältar är skurkar, och jag själv upplever att gränsen mellan superhjälte och superskurk kan vara hårfin. Ta Superkollen, till exempel: han har dig som objekt under ett antal år och lär sig allt om dig. Han vet hur han ska leda in dig antingen mot framgång eller mot undergång, och bestämmer i detta ögonblick vad det ska bli. Läskigt!

At
Kyra
Feb 11, 2016 Kyra rated it really liked it
Short, sweet book.

Kaufam's take on superheroes and their "powers" is so original and thought provoking. The best, and most interesting take on a relationship story that I've ever read. It was't too long or drawn out either. Like a burst of citrus, it was refreshing and short.
Jim
Mar 02, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutley everyone
This was a wonderful book. I loved it so much I went to the trouble of writing a full review on my website.

You can check it out here: What kind of superhero are you?
Lilee See
Aug 09, 2015 Lilee See rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now proud to say I have finally read all of Andrew Kaufman’s books, and you know what? All My Friends Are Super Heroes has taken the cake as my favourite.
As expected, it is a wonderfully quirky read, short but sweet, and put a smile on my face. And best of all, it makes you take a step back and think about life, while that smile still lingers. Kaufman is an amazing writer who can deliver a story and an idea in a simplistic, powerful and rememberable way. Each chapter has its own arc, despi
Jessica
Oct 27, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a quirky little gem of a book. A palate cleanser between deep, soulful reads that still offers more than just your run of the mill fluff. The plot, yes, is a bit on the predictable side, but the characters are not! Kaufman obviously has had this whole menagerie of superheros running around in his head for quite a while and needed to put them on paper. I found them amusing and wry - who comes up with a superhero who's superpower is perfectionism? Or picking good shoes? Or "cleaning as you ...more
Lisa (igotlostinbooks)
Oct 12, 2015 Lisa (igotlostinbooks) rated it it was amazing
I have to say that it was even better than I expected it to be.

Tom’s story starts with him and the Perfectionist sitting in the waiting hall of an airport waiting to enter the plain. We dive directly into the story when Tom describes his whole situation with his invisibility that he has only one last chance to convince the Perfectionist of his presence before he leaves her.

The whole story is told within the time of the flight, with means that you get to know all the means that Tom used in his si
Wednesdays 1 12 Oct 27, 2015 09:10AM
  • Magnified World
  • Girls Fall Down
  • The Amazing Absorbing Boy
  • Be Good
  • One Million Lovely Letters: When life is looking hopeless, one inspirational letter can change your life forever
  • Frozen Music
  • The Drowning of Arthur Braxton
  • Barnbruden
  • Lemon
  • Light Boxes
  • Malarky
  • Norrtullsligan
ANDREW KAUFMAN's critically acclaimed first book, All My Friends Are Superheroes, was a cult hit and has been translated into six languages. Kaufman is also an accomplished screenwriter, film-maker and radio producer and has completed a Director's Residency at the Canadian Film Centre. He lives in Toronto with his wife and their two children.
More about Andrew Kaufman...

“There are two ways to get rid of an anxiety monster,my friend-you either have a bath or a nap.” 39 likes
“There is only one amount of money - just not enough.” 20 likes