Start by marking “The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A fresh look at Jewish folktales wise, witty, hilarious.

After finishing school in New York, Rabbi Harvey traveled west in search of adventure and, hopefully, work as a rabbi. His journey took him to Elk Spring, Colorado, a small town in the Rocky Mountains. When he managed to outwit the ruthless gang that had been ruling Elk Spring, the people invited Harvey to stay on as
Published July 1st 2006 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey

How Mirka Met a Meteorite by Barry  DeutschMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanLily Renee, Escape Artist by Trina RobbinsRabbi Harvey vs. the Wisdom Kid by Steve SheinkinThe Adventures of Rabbi Harvey by Steve Sheinkin
YA Jewish Graphic Novels
5th out of 45 books — 4 voters
Once Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountThe Secret Journal of Brett Colton by Kay Lynn MangumThe Path to the Sun by Kimberli A. BindschatelParley After Life - DIY Guide to Death and other Taxes by Robby MillerFaking Faith by Josie Bloss
Religion in YA Literature
38th out of 44 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
"No one gets a bar mitzvah in this town without my say-so. Is that clear?"
"Big Milt" Wasserman

Things were wild in the Western town of Elk Spring.
Merchants were helpless when Daniel "The Lion" Levy demanded new suits, no charge. Restaurant owners cowered at the approach of Moses "Matzah Man" Goldwater and his endless cries for free matzah pot pies and coffee.
Then a stranger dressed in black came to town, a stranger with plans to deliver justice using "only the weapons of wisdom, kindness, and hu
Michelle Pegram
This graphic novel follows the exploits of the wild west rabbi, Rabbi Harvey, as he shares his wisdom and understanding of the world in order to help people navigate unusual and everyday experiences in life. Harvey, in his calm, non-preachy, and wryly witty manner, manages to convince a young boy that being a human is just as inviting as being a chicken, finds a way to prevent a man from cheating a mother with mouths to feed, tricks people into exposing their devious plans among other deeds. Tol ...more
Mrs W
Nov 12, 2014 Mrs W rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
The juxtaposition of Jewish storytelling and the Wild West seemed random to me at first. And let’s face it, it IS random. In reading the introduction, Sheinkin explains that as an American Jew, he has drawn from the mythology of both cultures and combined them.

The graphic novel is actually a collection of many Jewish stories. They star Rabbi Harvey, a rabbi/sheriff watching over the people of Elk Spring, Colorado. He settles disputes, discovers the truth, runs dishonest people out of town, all w
Beth Schencker
i got a kick out of this graphic novel! perhaps it's because i too am a jewish american, i understood the nuances and language of the stories. although i hadn't heard most of these tales before, these life lessons from thousands of years ago still hold true today.

sheinkin admits he's no expert on jewish theology, nor of western times, but he did have a passion for both when he was young, and thought it was a natural fit to combine the two. written in short story form, rabbi harvey bestows his j
David
Rabbi Harvey in the old West, out in Colorado, where he finds a town in need of a Rabbi. He dishes out justice with wisdom, a bit of wit and a lot of charm.
Here is one graphic book that is actually easy to read where the artwork doesn't get in the way of the text and actually provides a reminder that these ancient stories aren't set anywhere else but the frontier town of Elk Spring, Colorado. My grandson read the story of Nathan the Candle maker with me the first evening I had the book, and tho
Emilia P
This book was fun!
Jewish folktales reset in a very oddly Jewish Wild West. I really liked the illustration style, the wrinkly eyed oval-headed folks and the brown and grey coloring, and of course the folktales were good -- most of them made me chuckle. Making good and exposing badness through cleverness is often rather pleasant -- Rabbi Harvey's turn as a chicken under a table was particularly good. I thought it was neat too that this book was published by a Jewish religious press. Way to make t
Amanda
For some reason, this is a Jewish folktale that takes place in the Wild West. Rabbi Harvey went on a journey to Elk Spring, Colorado in search of adventure and looking to work as a rabbi. Throughout his adventure, Rabbi Harvey manages to settle disputes, tricks criminals into confessing their crimes, and offers his wisdom and insight everywhere he goes. I found this book to be funny and entertaining. I particularly liked the drawings of the wrinkly eyed and oval headed characters. Although I am ...more
Mazel
Rabbi Harvey tient à la fois du rabbin du village d'Europe de l'Est (shtetl) et du shérif du Far West. Au début du récit, ses pas le mènent à Elk Spring une petite ville du Colorado infestée de hors-la-loi.

Sans jamais recourir à la force, il parvient à débarrasser la ville de ses bandits usant seulement d'enseignements et d'astuces tirés de la sagesse juive.

La population soulagée, le nomme rabbin de la ville. Depuis, sa réputation ne cesse de grandie et l'in vient de partout le consulter, pour
Oleg Kagan
A shtetl in the wild west? Yes! The town of Elk Springs, CO is the setting for the tales of the clever Rabbi Harvey and his congregation of decidedly Jewish-looking (is this politically correct?) blacksmiths, candle makers, and merchants. Steve Sheinkin has adapted some of the most entertaining tales from Jewish storytellers/rabbis/thinkers of the past into bite-size graphic tales. The visual style is unique, if not remarkable, and anecdotes are full of wit, leading for a satisfying 30-minute (i ...more
Inna Komarovsky
This is an upbeat series of short stories. Often people have a dispute and go to the rabbi to settle it, and he fixes it in an unpredicted way.

The characters were quite expressionless and all had the same wrinkly eyes, but they were surprisingly expressive. Often, there would just be a panel with a person with a speech bubble filling most of it, and it seems like that part doesn't even need its own drawing, but then there are definitely times where it's so pleasing to see a character's face in r
sweet pea
i was excited by the concept of this book. but, after starting the first story, i was dubious. however, by midway through the second story, i was a believer. the melding of the two genres - jewish stories and westerns - is surprisingly fluid and quite interesting. as the stories progress, the humorous elements come out more. some of the stories are familiar, albeit with a twist. the illustrations are unique and add greatly to the telling. plus, the little kids with their enormous hair is quite c ...more
Joy
I had forgotten how much I enjoy wisdom tales.
Peacegal
Photobucket

Photobucket

Great combo of humor and empathy!
Bhan13
Apparently almost everyone in the Old West was Jewish, who knew? I don't know what provoked Sheinkin to choose this setting for his rebbe's adventures, but it works because of course the voice of reason is even more needed in the absence of a developed police and judicial system. This is the first graphic novel I've read (I read it with children) and the format was better than blocks of text for these short wisdom tales.
A cute fun read that tries to set Jewish folktales in a mythical American west. I like Sheinkin's use of Hasidic and other folktales but the Western setting is less developed. His art is deliberately simplistic, but I was really bugged by the type face. It would have looked much better hand-lettered. Overall it entertained me for the half hour it took to read.
Jason McKinney
Interesting, but nothing great...
Cheryl
Didn't read all of it (graphic novels just aren't my thing) but I read a lot more of it that I normally would. I couldn't help laughing about the greedy merchant who got his comeuppance and also enjoyed the one about the lost wallet.

I will be on the lookout for more by this author.
Kara

The Old West meets the Old Country as Sheinkin takes the folktales of eastern Europe and gives them a new world twist.

A beautiful blend of two worlds, told here with dry humor, showing how faith is faith, justice is justice, and good is good, no matter matter what the time and place.
svm
who knew that a rabbi standing in for a sheriff in the wild west could be SO damn funny?!? but he is, seriously. HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended! side-splitting. are you on your way to your local bookshop or library to pick this title up RIGHT NOW. well, you should be!
Brittany
This was the first graphic novel that I ever read and I really liked it! The stories are so comical and it's just the kind of humor that I love! This is a good book to read when learning about the different traditions, customs, and old stories of the Jewish religion.
Chris
Fairly good though I would have liked better graphics. If children don't already know the classic stories, this is a good introduction. The book is made up of a string of moral tales, mostly talmudic, and set in the old west.
Edna
Hilarious! Simply hilarious Jewish wit and wisdom - had to read it straight through and am already planning to purchase it for a Jewish friend who thinks she hates graphic novels. Wait until she reads this!
Julia
The conceit in this graphic novel that there were shtetls of Jews in the West is a topic John Ford didn’t cover. I guess he forgot, or never knew. This is mildly amusing, but the bibliography is useful.
Erica
Hysterical! ...I read the 2 sequels, too, and they are also wonderful. I love the b&w, simple art - it perfectly conveys the no-nonsense attitude of the Rabbi & the various characters in his Wild West town.
Mary Louise Sanchez
Rather than shooting from the hip, Rabbi Harvey shoots from the lip the wisdom and wit of the Jewish tradition in order to tame the old Colorado frontier from the rival rabbi.
Rachael
This book could be used in a Social Studies class to discuss culture as well as problem solving. It is a fun read that will intrigue students. Probably 5th grade and up.
Marfita
Utterly charming! The illustrations are like woodcuts, very very simple. There's wisdom and wisecracking asides. I'm just really really sorry it wasn't longer!
Mirele Kessous
Terrific short stories drawn from traditional Jewish folklore. Rabbi Harvey stories are packed with charm and good humor! Quirky! Guys and girls grades 7 and up.
Chriss
I saw this fun and witty little graphic novel at the library and had to check it out. I enjoyed the 'short stories' in it. It's a book anyone can have fun reading.
Deborah
The stories of Rabbi Harvey in the wild west are so fun and good-hearted, and the illustrations are great. Recommended for anyone, regardless of religious orientation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Prime Baby
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • A Family Secret
  • Game On! (Squish, #5)
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • American Splendor: Another Day
  • The Color of Water (Color Trilogy, #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 6: True Things Adults Don't Want Kids to Know (Amelia Rules! #6)
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • Down the Street
  • Clan Apis
  • The Jew in the Lotus
  • Pandemonium
  • Heads or Tails: Stories from the Sixth Grade (Jack Henry, #1)
  • Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story
  • We Are On Our Own
Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon Lincoln's Grave Robbers The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights King George: What Was His Problem?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution