Start by marking “The Mark (The Mark, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mark (The Mark, #1)

The Mark (The Mark #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  2,145 ratings  ·  292 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Cassandra Renfield has always seen the mark-a light glow reminiscent of candlelight. The only time she pointed it out taught her she shouldn't do it again. For years, the mark has followed Cassie, its rare appearances odd, but insignificant. Until the day she watches a man die. As she revisits each occurrence of the mark, Cassie realizes she can see a pers ...more
Published August 20th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark

Emy Shin
3/5 stars

The Mark starts with a bang as Cassie trails after the man with the mark and witnesses his death. It's gripping and suspenseful; it draws you in and doesn't let go. From the very beginning, Cassie presents herself as sympathetic character who has lost her parents and is now living with her grandmother. She's strong and independent and doesn't break down when faced with hardships. It's admirable.

There are many interesting elements in the story, including Greek myths, concepts of fate, an
Bottom line – The Mark left it's mark with me, I enjoyed Jen Nadol's writing and will be sure to be on the look out for more from her, I am hoping maybe a sequel, there's totally enough here for one, and maybe more of a resolution. It left me asking questions about my own life, would I want to know if today was my last day...and how might I feel if some stranger came up to me, telling me that today was my last day! Defiantly recommend picking it up! A 4 star read for me!
Read my full review - The
Jasmine
Thomas
The Mark is about sixteen-year-old Cassandra Renfield, a girl who has always seen the mark. The mark shines on certain people and is luminescent like a candle light - and it also tells Cassie that the person it's shining on is going to die during that very day. Cassie's unique ability is a gift as much as it is a curse. There are a plethora of questions that come with her predicament. How does the mark work? Is she the only one who can see it? Are her deceased parents involved? The final questio ...more
Kay Cassidy
I'd been wanting to read The Mark since the deal was first announced. The premise was brilliant... if you knew it was someone's last day, should you tell? The concept grabbed hold of me and never let go. Even after reading it, I'm still thinking about it!

The book made me laugh, it made me cry, but most of all it made me think. I found myself reading much more slowly than I usually do because my mind was processing everything on a personal level. How would I feel if that were me? Would I tell or
Anastasia Hopcus
What a beautiful, thought-provoking book! Cassie is a wonderful heroine---a very real girl that I would enjoy hanging out with. She hasn't had an easy life, but she never comes across as a 'poor me' type of person. The Mark even made me cry at times, and I think it was because of how well-drawn the characters were. I can't wait for more from Jen Nadol!
Dark Faerie Tales
Quick & Dirty: A well-written and thought-provoking tale that will have you intrigued.

Opening Sentence: There is nothing like the gut-hollowing experience of watching someone die, especially when you know it’s coming.

The Review:

Cassie Renfield has the freakish ability to see The Mark, an aura surrounding someone indicating that they will soon die. To make matters worse, Cassie sees The Mark around her grandmother and is haunted by the fact that she wasn’t able to save her. When Cassie’s gran
Jenn
I really wanted to like this one more. Really. But though The Mark was enjoyable to some extent, it just didn't suck me in the way I was hoping it would. However, The Mark does pose a very interesting question: if you know someone's going to die within 24 hours, what do you do? And as a side note, don't go in expecting an action-filled or even a fast-paced read because you won't be able to appreciate The Mark for the gradually developing and thought-probing story it is.

I'm going to divert from t
Krystle
I read this book such a long time ago that I have difficulty remembering much of anything about it, but I’ll try my best.

The romance is actually a surprise – yes, we start out with the typical girl falling absolutely in love after a few short encounters, but then it develops into a very different direction. Once Lucas finds out about Cassie’s ability he becomes obsessed and driven with this vendetta that she can use it for some humanitarian effort. And, well, this of course drives the couple apa
Brenda
I expected a little more out of this one. It felt like the prologue to a longer, move involved book, which, unfortunately, seems to be the trend in YA lit right now. It was one of those where the ending wasn't really any kind of ending at all.

The writing is pretty good, but I just didn't think the story was that great. I would have liked the story if it had explored the Greek mythology of the fates more. That was a more interesting angle for me, instead of spending the whole book with her debati
Misty
Slightly under a 4.

I had been hearing a lot of good stuff about The Mark, a debut by Jen Nadol, and I was intrigued by the premise which, though gaining in popularity and starting to crop up everywhere, was a bit fresher at the time. I have to say, overall I enjoyed it, but I do have some reservations.

It took me awhile to get into the story the way I wanted to. It was never that I disliked it, because I didn't, but it took me quite awhile to feel invested in Cassie and her story. It just felt a
Kimberly Derting
I actually finished this book a couple of days ago and am still thinking about it. I love when a story sticks with me, and in this case, Cassie's ability as well. (I find myself playing the "what if" game...as in "What if *I* knew someone was about to die?")

Nadol did a great job dealing with both Cassie's discovery of, and coming to terms with, her unusual "gift". Believable, and at times heartbreaking, Cassie's journey is a fantastic read!
Bonnie
This book started out so well. The protagonist (Cassie) is stalking this poor middle-aged guy to see if he dies. Yeah. How macabre is that? Cassie sees a glow around certain people and it's not until she's sixteen that she figures out that it probably indicates that the person is about to die. Poor Mr. Glowing Mark is the test case to see whether the mark indicates death. It does. Mr. Glowing Mark is not long for this world.

With such a deliciously horrific beginning and a premise that lends its
Chanelle
Delphine
The Mark may be an interesting book for some, but I personally felt it wasn't my type. One reason was because I preferred the genre of romance to paranormal. The other was related to my first reason, it being the romance in The Mark was short and brief, and it wasn't that nice to read about.

But that wasn't the main point. The main point about this book was about how this girl, Cassandra Renfield was about to know if today was someone's last. She wanted it to go away badly. However, when her Nan
Parajunkee
Quick PJV fact, my first year of college I went through like ten majors, psychology, ancient history, philosophy, english, and then finally landing on Fine Arts. This book gives a quick touch on most of my college obsessions, which is one of the reasons I liked it; probably more than I would if it didn't cover those topics. Most of the books I read usually have a bit of action in them, a climatic end, a little kung-fu - or maybe some other kind of action *leering mischievously*. This book wasn't ...more
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Keep in mind that whatever I say in this review will not do this book justice. This is one of the best books I've read in a really really long time. Sometimes I have a hard time writing reviews for books that I love because I don't know how else to say it but OMG I loved this book. I'll try to stay away from that.

The Mark starts out with a bang. Cassie has always seen the mark but she never knew for what it meant. Until the day she decides to follow a man who has it. This book wasn't at all what
Jenny
I expected so much more from The Mark. With such a thought provoking premise, it could have been so much poignant and had that much more of an impact—which of course it didn’t.

Cassie’s seen the mark on others before but doesn’t really think anything of it. When she finally realizes what seeing the mark means she’s conflicted over what she should do about it. She does feel for the people that have the mark and debates over whether she should tell them or not. She gets sad and scared about what w
Kristi
The Mark was not at all what I was expecting and I mean that in a good way. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to finish this one. I was about seventy pages in and I just felt like nothing was really happening. The story was slow, but even though initially I never had that “hook” moment, I found the story to be interesting.

I wanted to know more about Cass, her gift, and what it was like for her being almost utterly alone in the world.

There is a part in the novel where Cass
Wanda (Good Choice Reading)
First of all I have to say I met Jen Nadol at a book signing in Larchmont, New York. And I have to say that she is an amazing person. She's a sweet, down-to-earth person. She took pictures with us and signed our books. We stood around and talked about books and life in general. She's simply amazing.

So at the book signing she read a page from her book, and I just had to read it. Good move Jen. So here's a question for you readers, that Jen asked us at the book signing. If you had the ability to s
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought by OBS staff member Katlyn

Summary
Sixteen-year old Cassie Renfield has seen the mark since forever: a glow around certain people as if a candle were held behind their back.

The one time she pointed it out taught her not to do it again, so Cassie has kept quiet, considering its rare appearances odd, but insignificant. Until the day she watches a man die. Mining her memories, Cassie realizes she can see a person’s imminent death. Not how or where, only
Paula HGZ
ATTENTION:
this review contains mild spoilers, nothing that will ruin the book for you, only enough to make you understand why I didn't like it. More litteral spoilers I hid...

This book is half a book in my opinion, or it was written doing half the effort.

The characters:

Cassandra: She's got a crappy life, I gotta give it to her, so I get the crappy attitude and the depressing personality but we never see her complain about it, about her parents and then about (view spoiler)
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
A spellbinding page turner, The Mark will have readers hooked to Cassie’s journey from the first page…

Cassie Renfield is about to get the wakeup call of her life when understanding finally dawns on her about her new gift to see the mark. As she struggles to process the events leading up to the death of a man marked, now she’s questioning if she could have prevented the death using her ability.

Nadol did a spectacular job keeping me drawn into Cassie’s anguished search for answers about her abilit
Christina (Reading Extensively)
Since she was a little girl, Cassie Renfield has been able to see a bright light around certain people. It wasn't until recently that she realized that the bright light or mark as she calls it, means that person is going to die that day. It is a horrifying ability and one she doesn't understand. Is it her responsibility to warn people that they are about to die or to try to prevent it? Would people want to know?

Cassie is a young teen who is being raised by her grandmother after the tragic deaths
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: We are first introduced to Cassie. She's just a normal girl who longs for a family. Yeah, sure she has Nan but she still wonders about her parents often. They were killed in a car crash when she was young. She has always seen the light on people who are going to die but she never knew what it meant, until recently. We are introduced to all the side characters. Nan is her grandmother who took her in when her parents passed away, schoolmates, and than the 2 guys who I adored at first ...more
Rachelia (Bookish Comforts)
This review (and more!) can be found at my blog {Bookish Comforts}.

One thing you should know about me is that if I start a book, I’m very likely to finish it even if I don’t like it at all. Why? Well, I usually still want to find out what the author does with the story. Sometimes I am just too far in to give up, and figure I might as well finish reading. Both of these reasons apply to why I finished The Mark.

Cass has a gift, or maybe it’s a curse, but whichever it is, it means she can see this a
Reading Teen (Andye)
From http://www.readingteen.net/

Cassie Renfield has seen the mark since she was a child, but it's only been recently that she's understood what it means. When she sees the mark on her grandmother's friend, who dies that same day, she starts to realize that she is being warned that a person is about to die. Testing her theory, she follows a man with the mark until seeing his untimely death with her own eyes. Cassie is scared and confused, and when she loses her grandmother as well, she's left wit
Laianna
This book is about a girl named Cassie who is able to detect death before it happens in the form of a light around the person, which she calls "The Mark".

The Mark mainly chronicles Cassie's inner struggle in living with her ability as she experiences her first real boyfriend, losing her most important family member, and understanding who she was/is and what she can do about situations she can't really control.

Despite my initial disappointment at the lack of tingling romance, I thought The Mark
Kristen
For a book with such issues of life and death at hand, it sure was "fluffy" - that's the only way to explain it. I felt like it barely scraped at the deeper issues that are apparent from seeing such a "mark". Instead the novel focused more on every day issues such as life, love, and fear.

Cassie is a somewhat normal girl, until she realizes that she can see this mark on people, the day that they die. Throughout the book, she tries to save those that she loves, failing once and then trying again t
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • Other (Other, #1)
  • Sea
  • Sleepless
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • The Secret Year
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Banished (Banished, #1)
  • The Pace (The Pace, #1)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets
I grew up in Reading, PA, hometown of John Updike, Taylor Swift and fellow YA author A.S. King (nope, didn't know any of them).

I went to college at American University in Washington DC, graduated with a BA in Literature, then spent the next twelve years doing something totally unrelated to pay the bills.

Now I live north of NYC in an old farmhouse with my husband and three young sons. I am thrill
More about Jen Nadol...

The Mark (2 books)
  • The Vision (The Mark, #2)
The Vision (The Mark, #2) This Is How It Ends