Start by marking “The Roller-coaster Years” as Want to Read:
The Roller-coaster Years

The Roller-coaster Years

For the 20 million parents of 10- to 15-year-olds, The Roller-Coaster Years is a lively guide to mastering the ups and downs of early adolescence. Every parent knows about the terrible twos and the brooding teens, but few have anticipated the wild ride of these magical yet maddening years that can provide all the thrills and chills of a carnival ride.

Now, drawing together
Published March 5th 1998 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Roller-coaster Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roller-coaster Years

Jenifer
Filled with quite a bit of practical information and insight, but did feel a little outdated, and included a lot that felt irrelevant to my specific circumstances. 3.5 stars
Kim
Nice overview of 10-15 yr olds/"Middlers": Kids this age develop sophisticated reasoning & sense of humor, still need and seek approval of adults, believe they can make a difference, develop personal values, sympathetic and (with guidance) will meet needs of others. I found the parenting advice to be extremely basic, though.
Sandee
Mar 08, 2014 Sandee rated it liked it
I guess, if anything, this book reminded me to be empathetic and helped me see that I wasn't totally screwing up navigating the teen years with my daughter. There was some helpful advice, some scary statistics, and some hope for the future!! I usually do not relate to parenting books but this one was ok.
Kathy
Nov 01, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: haveread
The counselor at school suggested that we read and discuss this book with any parents interested in being involved with this book-club activity. This book is about understanding how best to live with/teach with middle-school students. It was accurate and informative.
Susan
Aug 13, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for parents of "middlers" (kids aged 10-14). It gave me a good insight on what kids that age are going through mentally and physically. Hopefully, it helps me understand and love my middlers even more.
LaDawn
Jun 19, 2009 LaDawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book when my oldest daughter was around 12. It did help explain a bit of what she was going through. And I remember my own "roller coaster years" all too well!
Beth Shorten
Nov 19, 2016 Beth Shorten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated but a good resource
Anne
Jun 20, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable trip down memory lane by a witty author
Jan 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First good one I have seen on the in between years. Child manual.
Priscilla
Jan 21, 2016 Priscilla rated it liked it
I loved learning about the internal, emotional worlds of middle schoolers.
Anne
Jul 05, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Glad I read it, but really wish it was updated for modern times esp. vis a vis media/tech. It has helped me think through and anticipate life with my "middler."
Maria
Feb 26, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
One of the few books that talks specifically about the period before tweens/teens, i.e. 10 years old.
Janelle
Janelle rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2008
amy heatherly
amy heatherly rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Erika Juran
Erika Juran rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Linda Perlstein
Linda Perlstein rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Nikie
Nikie rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2009
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2008
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Ginger Gritzo
Ginger Gritzo rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
S Dalley
S Dalley rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Glory
Glory rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Ruth Wertheimer
Ruth Wertheimer rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Jean Brazil
Jean Brazil rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Thuy
Thuy rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
DL Johnson
DL Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Al Kin
Al Kin rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012