Start by marking “The Danger Tree: Memory, War, And The Search For A Family's Past” as Want to Read:
The Danger Tree: Memory, War, And The Search For A Family's Past

The Danger Tree: Memory, War, And The Search For A Family's Past

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Emulating the circuitous tales told by his mother's relatives, the Goodyears of Newfoundland, David Macfalane weaves the major events of the island's twentieth century--the ravages of tuberculosis; the great seal-hunt disaster; the bitter Confederation debate, and above all, the First World War--into his own tale of the ill-starred fortunes of his family. He brings to life ...more
Published August 22nd 2000 by Vintage Canada (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Danger Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Danger Tree

Dennis
Some great writing. Wonderful beginning and end. But much of the book's interior seemed, sorry, like the same tale over and over again. At one point, certain I'd read something already, I even checked the page numbers to make sure I didn't have a bad printing. But I am left feeling a bit guilty here: Perhaps many good Canadians find this detailed telling of Newfoundland's past to be all worthwhile and my criticism sounding too-typically U.S. If so, sorry. But I wouldn't be very excited about sim ...more
Sheri-lee
I'm not sure if I "really liked" this or more "quite liked" it...so, 4 stars won out over 3. Things I didn't know: Newfoundland was it's own country as a colony of Great Britain; it barely became a confederate with Canada by a 52% vote to join the Dominion; in the generations before us (as it is less I'm sure with each passing generation) there were Newfoundlanders who still said they were not Canadian and if they had to choose a distinction other than Newfoundlander they would pick British. Huh ...more
Sylvester
I would've given this a two and a half if there were such a thing. I would've given it a lot more if it had been easier to read, and less circuitous. The writing was brilliant at times - the first chapter especially. "She has white hair, and her skin is still soft. It's the color of waxed paper, wrapped over the thin driftwood of her bones." It's a memoir of the author and his family, a history of Newfoundland, and of the First World War in which three of his family members were killed.

For a Can
Darlene
Our lived experiences influenced in so many way.

An excellent read. Family history integrated so skillfully with both social history and the history of WW 1 . Emotions well described. Clearly describes how history impacts families and how families influence communities and future generations.

John
History, genealogy, war, business, relationships, what more could a reader want in non-fiction. Best juxtaposition of forest fires and bloody battlefields. Best description of fatal bullet wounds. Any book that makes me want to learn more about what I am reading independent of the book itself gets 4 stars. Not only will you learn where Newfoundland is you will learn how to pronounce it like a native.
Bravo MacFarlane.
Stephanie
This book, while very well written with some sections of beautiful imagery and prose, is also circuitous and confusing. I thoroughly enjoyed the parts pertaining to the war history, but the rest of the family history was confusing.

If you are interested in the history of Newfoundland families, give this a go, if you are looking for a straight history of the First World War, I would look elsewhere.
I really liked it and am glad I read it at this time of the year. Descriptions of the first world war were very evocative. The Newfoundland history was very interesting as were the stories of his family history.
Djdee
Very engaging family history in a interesting time and place.Highly recommend!
John
Jan 30, 2012 John marked it as to-read
My friend Ned Wahl recommended this book. I am looking forward to reading it.
Jan
Jan added it
May 24, 2015
Cblackadar
Cblackadar marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Danb1234
Danb1234 marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Brandon Lovell
Brandon Lovell is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Holly
Holly added it
Mar 29, 2015
Benjamin Louter
Benjamin Louter is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Ramad
Ramad added it
Feb 22, 2015
Kathy Stinson
Kathy Stinson marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Lynn
Lynn is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Jonathan Lin
Jonathan Lin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David MacFarlane is a Toronto, Canada author, editor and magazine writer.
More about David MacFarlane...
Summer Gone The Figures of Beauty: A Novel Come from Away: Memory, War, and the Search for a Family's Past Building Paradise Toronto: A City Becoming