Start by marking “Granta en español 11: Los mejores narradores jovenes en español” as Want to Read:
Granta en español 11: Los mejores narradores jovenes en español

Granta en español 11: Los mejores narradores jovenes en español (Granta en español #11)

Granta 113, published simultaneously in Spain as Los Mejores Narradores Jovenes en Espanol, showcases the work of 22 promising new writers. It is eagerly anticipated, as Granta's previous Best Young Novelist issues have been startlingly accurate, calling out the work of writers from Salman Rushdie to Jonathan Franzen and Zadie Smith.
Here, for the first time in translation
365 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Granta en español 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granta en español 11

jeremy
Jan 02, 2011 jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the latest granta, featuring an array of "the best young spanish language novelists," is, for the most part, a strong collection of burgeoning talent. each of the twenty-two writers was born in or after 1975, and have at least one novel or short story collection already published. nearly half of the included writings are excerpts from novels in progress, or yet-to-be translated works, while the majority are short stories proper (some published herein for the first time). culled from three hundre ...more
Chad Post
Dec 03, 2010 Chad Post rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty solid collection. Some of my favorites: Santiago Roncagliolo, Andres Barba, Pola Oloixarac, Javier Montes, Andres Ressia Colina, Antonio Ortuno, Alejandro Zambra, and Patricio Pron. (Especially the Pron and Ortuno.) Definitely worth checking out . . .

BTW, we're running a "22 Days of Awesome" series on Three Percent, which featuring each of these authors one-by-one. You can check out all the entries here: http://www.rochester.edu/College/tran...
Veronica
Mar 18, 2011 Veronica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
I was very underwhelmed. I was hoping to find some new Spanish writers that appealed to me enough that I would battle through their work in Spanish. But none of these really tempted me to make that effort. A lot of the stories were tediously modern, alienated, and absurd. The only ones I liked were Javier Montes' The Hotel Life and Federico Falco's In Utah There Are Mountains Too. The others left me cold for the most part.

And some of the translation was surprisingly bad -- clumsy, ugly phrasing.
Jay
Twenty-two Spanish-language authors, all 35 years or younger, identified for their creative promise and gathered in a single volume published in 2010 (Granta, vol. 113). Eight are Argentinian; 6, Spanish; 2, Peruvian; 2 Chilean; and one each from Bolivia, Uruguay, Mexico and Colombia. Nine of the stories were either excerpts from already published works or from works in progress. The rest were new short stories.

The stories, whether extracted or new, were as varied as their authors. Certainly as
Julio César
Jul 29, 2011 Julio César rated it liked it
Los compilados de cuentos se me ponen decepcionantes, últimamente. Lo que sí, noté una diferencia marcada entre los latinoamericanos y los españoles, claramente a favor de los primeros.
Hubo tres niveles de "gusto": los que me parecieron excelentes, los que están bien y los que me aburrieron. Hay también una diferencia, porque como muchas piezas no son cuentos sino "fragmentos de novela" (ladri), lo que me gustó con algunos autores es el tono, el grano de la voz (como Oliverio Coelho, que ya lo
An ambitious project, spanning much of Spanish-speaking South America and Spain itself, but ultimately the majority of the stories are mediocre and forgettable. Themes of childhood and adolescence dominate, and there is a strange sense of similarity across most of the stories. Many feel fragmentary and unsatisfyingly inconclusive - perhaps because the editors chose to include extracts from novels as well as short stories. Of all of them, I think I would only save the first and last, by Lucia Pue ...more
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
Am enjoying "keeping up", although I'm not as much of a fan of the novel excerpts, so far. I hope they do more of these, regardless of whether the language is Spanish or not. It's a great way to get people reading things published outside of their backyard.

Left it at the gym before I'd finished; if it's recovered, I'll finish it.

I was keeping track of those authors whose work spoke to me. I distinctly remember the first short story, "Cohiba" (an Argentine author, if I were more diligent, I'd hav
Catherine
Apr 03, 2011 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I found most of these hard to get on with: many of the stories were too stylised, or political, or sex-ful for my taste (and I can put up with a lot, usually). I was sad that I wasn't drawn to picking it up more frequently since it is, after all, one of those full of fiction editions for which I yearn. The stories I thought were best were bitter-sweet: Eva and Diego, by Alberto Olmas (charting the beginning and end of a marriage)and Stars and Stripes by Santiago Roncagliolo (be careful what you ...more
Lawrence
Jan 03, 2011 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another good issue of Granta. Although I cannot say that I liked every story in this collection, I appreciated Granta's initiative to introduce the English-speaking world to some of the potential stars of Spanish-language lit. I hate not having better foreign language ability, but in this small way Granta makes up for my inadequacies. And, this issue confirms that Spanish-language lit has come a long way from the magical realism of Garcia Marquez (not that there's anything wrong with ma ...more
Alex Labant
A handful of these stories rocked my psyche, and some almost compelled me to contact the editors and ask who paid how much to be published. Overall, an interesting collection; if I were more inspired, I would list my favorite stories on here, but instead they're written down on a post-it note stuck to the inside cover.
Tuck
Dec 27, 2010 Tuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spain
these stories are for the most part ALL DAMN GOOD. some are new short stories, some are chapters for new novels. most all are in the modern style, not magical. one sort-of-theme running through most are the global war on terror and what that really means. santiago roncagliolo is excellent, patricio pron too, andres neuman, carlos yushimito, elvira navarro, hell, they are all good pretty much.
Wendy
Too few women, too many Argentines, but honestly, I can't complain too much. (And I've only read two of the stories so far. One was fantastic, one was fantastically mediocre.) Thanks to Granta for making this effort, though how sad not to see Mexico represented.
Patrick
Jul 22, 2011 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it's just that the short story isn't really my thing, but very few of these stories grabbed me at all. I can't say I finished this thinking "I wonder what his/her full length novel will be like?" Which is surely the point?
Chris
Dec 27, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of new young Spanish language authors. The works by Pola Olioxarac, Alberto Olmos, and Matais Nespolo were especially good. "A Few Words On The Life Cycle of Frogs by Patricio Pron, the final work in the collection is a required read for anyone attempting to write.
Louise
Jan 08, 2015 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AS one might expect from a selection of stories by different writers, there is an uneven literary output. What I enjoyed was the unexpected pleasure of finding the noir going strong in Spanish writers, and the fantastical as well.
Anda
Jul 16, 2011 Anda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
i thought i would love this. oh well. books like this one remind me why i need to start using the library again. no investment...
Jim
May 18, 2014 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I just didn't like this issue of Granta at all. None of the stories grabbed me, I found the whole thing tedious.
Apr 03, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection. The only problem is there was no rep from central America or the Caribbean. The quality of the writing was good overall
Lozzle_pops
A really good mix of styles and stories, but only a couple have really stuck in my mind since I finished it.
Vilis
Aug 27, 2014 Vilis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kā jau jebkurā stāstu izlasē, bija gabali, kuri patika mazāk, bet lielāko daļu izlasīju ar prieku. Tālāk medīt gan gribētu tikai pāris autorus.
Cristóbal Carrasco
Cristóbal Carrasco rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Nathan Maharaj
Nathan Maharaj rated it really liked it
May 18, 2011
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Graziela Araujo
Graziela Araujo rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Graham Murtagh
Graham Murtagh rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Carlos A.
Carlos A. rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Darryl
Darryl rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
  • Locos: A Comedy of Gestures
  • The Polish Boxer
  • The Speed of Light
  • The Granta Book of the Irish Short Story
  • El espíritu de mis padres sigue subiendo en la lluvia
  • Defensa apasionada del idioma español
  • The Man of Feeling
  • El público
  • Novelas Ejemplares II
  • Guadalajara
  • No Place For Heroes
  • Pájaros en la boca
  • Nobody's Home
  • The Private Lives of Trees
Granta magazine was founded in 1889 by students at Cambridge University as The Granta, a periodical of student politics, student badinage and student literary enterprise, named after the river that runs through the town. In this original incarnation it had a long and distinguished history, publishing the early work of many writers who later became well known, including A. A. Milne, Michael Frayn, ...more
More about Granta: The Magazine of New Writing...

Granta en español (10 books)
  • Granta En Espanol 1: El Silencio En Boca De Todos (Granta en Espanol)
  • Granta En Espanol 2: Hotel America
  • Granta En Espanol 3: La Ultima Frontera (Granta en Espanol)
  • Granta En Espanol 4: Barcelona
  • Granta en Espanol 5: Al Este Del Eden (Granta en Espanol)
  • Granta en Espanol 6: Supersticiones
  • Granta En Español 7: Sobre la Marcha (Granta en Espanol)
  • Granta En Espanol 8: Los Mejores Jovenes Novelistas Estadounidenses (Granta En Espanol)
  • Granta 81: Best of Young British Novelists 2003