Start by marking “Heaven's Fury: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Fury: A Novel

Heaven's Fury: A Novel

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  42 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Stephen Frey thrills readers with the mesmerizing tale of a small-town sheriff who must confront the worst violence that man and nature possess.

Bruner, Wisconsin, is really two different towns. On one side are the magnificent summer estates of wealthy families who value their privacy and privilege above all else. A few miles awa
Published September 21st 2010 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Fury

Nicole
I have so many conflicting emotions about this book. Overall, I liked it. However, and it's a BIG however, I'm so glad this guy isn't a real police officer. I'm glad he's just a made-up imaginary character. While I'm sure there is some police officer who resembles this guy, which is a scary thought, I'm glad in regards to this story that he's fictional. I'm not sure if it's just me, but did anyone else who read this think that this guy shouldn't be a cop? He just made mistake after mistake after ...more
Jay Connor
Stephen Frey has written 17 novels. The vast majority employed his M&A and private equity background in a well-honed manner making him one of the best authors of financial intrigue.

I find it odd that just at the time when "financial intrigue" is the cornerstone of many front page headlines, Frey has taken a hiatus from the ruthless markets to go to the backwoods. His two recent heaven and hell books ("Heaven's Fury," here, and "Hell's Gate," reviewed last year) are interesting, second-tier,
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Even though this book was predictable, this MN girl is a sucker for a snowstorm story!
Paul Summers is a cop in Dakota County WI who stumbles on to suspicion activity in his small town. In a town where everyone "know your name", animal mutilations and eventually a murder turn the town upside down.
There is big money (Prescott) in the town, shifting businessmen (Bill Campbell), cult activity and an old flame that puts a wedge between Paul and his wife Vivian, who just happens to be an ex stripper.
Stacy
Surely there is a diligent, hard-working, intelligent, well-liked, honest police officers in the world. I truly believe this. Why is it that no author has ever met or imagined these people?

This is yet another book that focuses on a policeman that has nothing going for him and if living a life he doesn't like with a wife he doesn't love.

And then we have the expected plot. Guess what happens...yes, a crime occurs that he should be a suspect in but instead of being investigated or stepping aside,
Lee
This is a Frey story that does not involve high finance. This story follows a Sheriff in a small town in Wisconsin who is investigating the murder of his lover. As he investigates her father believes that he may be behind it and he wonders if it involves a cult that is rumored to be in town. Okay read.
Mark
I like Frey's novels, but this one is a departure from the finance/political intrigues I've read earlier...here a sheriff in small northern Wisconsin rural county is dealing with either killings or something more sinister...interesting take on the some of the character of the people of the North Woods...as a "Cheesehead", I had difficulty with the "cultist" aspects, but there are some true facets...I had difficulty getting past a rudimentary error of; how a county sheriff, an elected position in ...more
David Weinfeld
an okay story. Reminds me of the Longmire series
Nancy Magee
Another first time read author for me. And I will be reading him again.
Bernie Charbonneau
I like Stephen Frey novels. I believe that I have read all his novels. They are usually quick, easy reads that you keep turning the page. Again, this novel is no different. The characters presented are likable and uncomplicated so that the plot is what stands out. Taking place in the Wisconsin north, Mr Frey describes the setting quite well so that it is vivid in your mind but at the same time doesn't bog down the pace of the tale. For a quick weekend read when it is to cold to go out, this auth ...more
Siti
Excellant....i love it.
Dorsi
This was a decent story with the really good narration. The story was rather predictable however, something about the author's writing style kept my interest. Although I liked the main character well enough, I found myself getting irritated with him time and time again. He contradicted himself quite frequently especially were his best friend and trust issues were a concern. All in all it was decent...3 1/2 stars...the narration gave it a boost. I'd be willing to delve into another Frey story.
Ed Heichel
Everything in this story depends on the ending. The author is going for a noir feel, and does okay at it, but that means we need a powerful ending to make many of the details feel less silly. Unfortunately, the book ends with the Wayne's World "Scooby Doo" ending and a logic hole so big you can fly a 747 through it. Really makes the whole thing kind of laughable. I've read worse, but I won't be looking to read this again.
Fredrick Danysh
Sheriff Paul Summers is at the end of the line for a law enforcement career having been forced out of two other jobs. The county is sharply divided between the rich and the poor. Married to a former stripper, Paul is in love with a rich married woman. When she is murdered, his troubles get worse. A murderous cult is plaguing the community and he doesn't know who he can trust.
Amber
Such a manly man book. Is this really how men think, emote and view the world? Sheesh. As someone from Minnesota, there were quite a few laughable moments as Frey seemed to not understand the basic underpinnings of regional economies and knowledge, such as when our protagonist has to learn about the Iron Range and taconite from an expert engineer.
Seth Taplin
This book bounced back and forth between interesting and annoying, making me wish it would end but still have enough of a spark of hope left that I wouldn't just quit listening. OK mystery, but the characters all left me wanting for development and feeling they were all a little schizophrenic with how much they flip flopped around.
Drick
In northern Wisconsin, a sheriff who has come to the end of his professional line gets caught in a love triangle and a series of murders that threaten his life. Its a good enough drama but the writing is pretty pedantic and overly dramatic. I have read other Stephen Frey novels and this is not his best
Ricardo
I thought this was really bad. The plot and dialogue seemed to jump from cliché to cliché. If this had not been something written by a well-known author, if it had been someone's first book, I really doubt it would ever have made it into print
Kay
This is a departure from Frey's usual novel about murder, mystery and mayhem in the financial world. It was okay but I didn't care for the main character. I would have rated it lower but I really did like the last part of the book.
Jeanne
Absolutely great story!! Got involved in the plot right away and kept guessing how things were going to fall out. Let me tell you--the ending is worth the listen!! Surprises all the way through!! 9 out of 10 for me on this one.
Sharneel
Quick, easy read that keeps you flipping the pages. Uncomplicated, unsophisticated characters with interesting perspectives on Wisconsin and the colder areas of that part of the country, this is a good novel for a quick escape.
Carolyn E
Mar 20, 2012 Carolyn E rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read anything by Stephen Frey in quite a while; this one is very good.
Darci
This would be a 2½ if we could give ½. The story was okay, but I wasn't crazy about the writing style. I felt like certain things were repeated a lot and other things were skipped over.
Mary
Read as an audio book - I use the audio books when running - so tend to look for light stories. Typical mystery, story that kept my interest. Would be a good book to bring to the cabin :)
Chicken Little
Great book by Frey! This story has all the ingredients of a master thriller: plot, well-developed and likable characters, murder, betrayal and redemption. I couldn't put it down. =)
Jonathan Sweet
Uneven effort. Solid suspense, but could have been wrapped up earlier. Also got some of the Minneapolis-area geography details wrong, which annoyed me as a Twin Cities resident!
Janice
This was one I got off the NEW shelf at the library. I liked it and was never bored at all because it was fairly simple, had a good story, and read much like a made for tv movie.
Alexis Thompson
Liked his financial books better. The main character didn't attract my interest and suspension of dis-believe was difficult about both the cult and the relationships.
Sue Sharp
Interesting mystery story but not sure I liked the main character, nor the way any of the women in the book are portrayed...
Tim
One of the best novels of 2010 if you like drama and plots. Very well written and holds interest throughout. 9 of 10 stars
Ann Riall
The book was OK. I most enjoyed the author's ability to capture rural Wisconsin. The plot was well-crafted, I thought.
  • The Capitol Game
  • Runaway Man: A Mystery (Benjy Golden, #1)
  • The Jeffery Deaver Suspense Collection: Speaking In Tongues / The Blue Nowhere / Garden Of Beasts
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • The Blues Detective
  • Turbulence
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • The League of Night and Fog
  • Exact Revenge
  • A Perfect Crime
  • Murder Simply Brewed (Amish Village Mystery #1)
  • Red on Red
  • The Crystal Skull
  • The Devil in Montmartre: A Mystery in Fin de Siecle Paris
  • 501 Baseball Books Fans Must Read before They Die
  • Evil's Root: A Political Thriller
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...
The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1) The Day Trader The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2) The Vulture Fund The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)