Start by marking “Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth” as Want to Read:
Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth

Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth

She was the Sweater Girl, provocatively sexy but with a small-town winsomeness - a combination that meant dynamite at the box office. Now, at last, in this long-awaited autobiography Lana Turner separates fact from gossip - to reveal the sometimes humorous, often heartbreaking reality of the life behind the legend.
Published August 1st 1984 by Outlet (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Lana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lana

Luke Devenish
Oct 21, 2012 Luke Devenish rated it liked it
It's near impossible not to enjoy Lana Turner's version of herself here for the sheer, pathological optimism of her approach to life. It leaps out from every page and makes her very endearing. Each foolhardy venture, misplacing of trust, 'misinterpreted' tantrum, and most recurring of all, shambles of a marriage(s), receives the cheery Turner gloss of hindsight, aided no doubt at the time of writing by the holy sheen that came with belatedly finding Jesus. That was the only bit that depressed me ...more
Greg
Mar 14, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. I also wasn't sure how to rate this book when I finished it. On the one hand it was packed with easy to digest information on Lana Turner's life which warrants 5 stars but on the other hand had too much on her sorted romantic entanglements with little mention of details onset unless it involved romance which I felt should maybe 2-3 stars.

Having more interest in film and Lana Turner's films themselves and film career rather than Lana Turner
Angela
Dec 27, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
I completely and totally enjoyed reading this book. Although Lana certainly doesn't tell all, there are several things that she doesn't hold back on. For example: she (perhaps understandably) leaves out how Lex Barker abused her daughter, but you do get the whole ugly, terrifying truth about her relationship with John Stompanato. If you have an interest in old Hollywood, it's a great read. I didn't want to put it down and was actually a little disappointed when I finished the book.
Serena
Aug 10, 2010 Serena rated it it was amazing
What a great read this was! Lana really went into details about some very difficult events in her life, in particular the night her daughter killed John Stompanato. She married so many times that I lost count! I loved her sense that she showed throughout the book. Now I'm going to go home and watch more Lana Turner movies.
Cindy
Mar 08, 2010 Cindy rated it it was ok
Shelves: hollywood, biograhpy
I found the "shaved eyebrows" story interesting and then heard Shirley McClaine use a line to reference it in the move "Postcards from The Edge". Interesting Bio.
Sally
I was never the hugest fan of her, but I quite enjoyed reading most of this book - perhaps for mentions of other people more than her.
Denis
Nov 22, 2008 Denis rated it really liked it
Lana Turner's autobiography is quite a juicy read, and for anyone interested in the old Hollywood days, it's irresistible. That the author may have avoided some truths, or not told everything, is obvious, and all the events are seen through her eyes decades after they happened - which means there is a bias. So what? Turner was such a public figure, and had such a tumultuous life both on and off screen, that all accounts are different, yet they may all be true. Or not. All the same, Turner's book ...more
Traci
Aug 23, 2014 Traci rated it liked it
Enjoyable bio. Not a huge fan of Turner's, but she was stunning. It's easy to see why they called her the Sweater Girl. She was gorgeous.

As for her life, I'm not impressed. She comes off as shallow & a bit well, dumb blonde. Sorry. Married all those times for the fun of it & didn't realize she was dating a mobster? Seriously?? Not impressive at all. And then giving all her money to the men in her life....seriously?

But her's was an interesting life. All the ups & downs. She still com
Sara
Mar 04, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Who knew that Lana Turner, the woman Pauline Kael called a Brand X commodity, could be so likeable? The fun bits are less in the lurid Hollywood details than in Turner's unselfconscious asides, like how she visualized her puppy being run over to cry on cue, or first husband, Arty Shaw's faux intellectualism. "He went on about Nietzsche and Schopenhauer (I tried to read them later, but didn't get far)."

Yes, there is a religious conversion on the last two pages, but one gets the feeling that Turne
Autumn Renae
Nov 08, 2013 Autumn Renae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Let me start off by saying I knew nothing about Lana Turner prior to reading this book. Ive taken a big interest in silver screen stars, and my mother bought me this book along with a few others. It took awhile to get into, but once I did, I really did. I loved her personality in the book, it shone through so very vividly. I loved the book itself, once I finally got into it, of course. I was at page 80 and in 2 days finished it all, and it was just lovely. I recommend it highly.
--AS
Aurora
Oct 17, 2013 Aurora rated it liked it
Interesting Hollywood story and an OK read. I expected many more stories to fall in the "juicy" category, but Lana is much more likable than spicy. Almost too naive and trusting a portrait at times to be believable.
Shelly
Jan 27, 2012 Shelly added it
I really enjoyed this book. Lana Turner held nothing back from the reader even though it was not flattering or made her look bad. She had quite a life and I am not sorry I read this.
Annette
Jul 08, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I really enjoyed treading this bio. It really gave me an insiders view to the hollywood star making machine.
Tracy
Sep 05, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Another old Hollywood autobiography. I know it's trashy, but I.Can't.Stop. Plus, Lana Turner? My hell, she was SOOO beautiful.
Lisa James
Nov 25, 2013 Lisa James rated it really liked it
Wow. She lived a fascinating life, but had horrible luck with men. Oh, & the "discovery" at Schwabs she debunks EARLY on in the book :) Just in case you wanted to know, LOL.
Amy Westgarth
Jan 10, 2014 Amy Westgarth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Lana comes across as very likeable and level-headed despite being a Hollywood movie star. I thoroughly enjoyed this account of her life. My copy of the book had a few typos in though.
Lynne
Lynne rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Roxy Macdonald
Roxy Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2014
Carmen Tourney
Carmen Tourney rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2010
Deborah Fox
Deborah Fox rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Jack Mason
Jack Mason rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Valentina
Valentina rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2010
Rebecca Buntyn
Rebecca Buntyn rated it it was ok
May 16, 2015
TillyMatt Douglas
TillyMatt Douglas rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Darlene Muscoe
Darlene Muscoe rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Jay T.
Jay T. rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ava: My Story
  • If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth
  • Mae West: It Ain't No Sin
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • This 'n That
  • Swanson on Swanson
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • Self-Portrait
  • Dark Lover: The Life and Death of Rudolph Valentino
  • Detour: A Hollywood Story
  • The Million Dollar Mermaid
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • Dark Victory: The Life of Bette Davis
  • Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary: Her Private Letters from Inside the Studios of the 1920s
  • Confessions of an Actor