Start by marking “Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth” as Want to Read:
Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth

Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  17 reviews
She was the Sweater Girl, provocatively sexy but with a small-town winsomeness - a combination that meant dynamite at the box office. Now, at last, in this long-awaited autobiography Lana Turner separates fact from gossip - to reveal the sometimes humorous, often heartbreaking reality of the life behind the legend.
Published August 1st 1984 by Outlet (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Lana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lana

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankEleanor of Aquitaine by Alison WeirCatherine the Great by Robert K. MassieThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirWives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser
Female Biographies
370th out of 609 books — 209 voters
Memo from David O. Selznick by Rudy BehlmerNorma Shearer by Gavin LambertBombshell by David StennCary Grant by Marc EliotA Life of Barbara Stanwyck by Victoria   Wilson
Classic Film Books
216th out of 326 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Luke Devenish
It's near impossible not to enjoy Lana Turner's version of herself here for the sheer, pathological optimism of her approach to life. It leaps out from every page and makes her very endearing. Each foolhardy venture, misplacing of trust, 'misinterpreted' tantrum, and most recurring of all, shambles of a marriage(s), receives the cheery Turner gloss of hindsight, aided no doubt at the time of writing by the holy sheen that came with belatedly finding Jesus. That was the only bit that depressed me ...more
Angela
I completely and totally enjoyed reading this book. Although Lana certainly doesn't tell all, there are several things that she doesn't hold back on. For example: she (perhaps understandably) leaves out how Lex Barker abused her daughter, but you do get the whole ugly, terrifying truth about her relationship with John Stompanato. If you have an interest in old Hollywood, it's a great read. I didn't want to put it down and was actually a little disappointed when I finished the book.
Serena
What a great read this was! Lana really went into details about some very difficult events in her life, in particular the night her daughter killed John Stompanato. She married so many times that I lost count! I loved her sense that she showed throughout the book. Now I'm going to go home and watch more Lana Turner movies.
Cindy
I found the "shaved eyebrows" story interesting and then heard Shirley McClaine use a line to reference it in the move "Postcards from The Edge". Interesting Bio.
Traci
Enjoyable bio. Not a huge fan of Turner's, but she was stunning. It's easy to see why they called her the Sweater Girl. She was gorgeous.

As for her life, I'm not impressed. She comes off as shallow & a bit well, dumb blonde. Sorry. Married all those times for the fun of it & didn't realize she was dating a mobster? Seriously?? Not impressive at all. And then giving all her money to the men in her life....seriously?

But her's was an interesting life. All the ups & downs. She still com
Sally
I was never the hugest fan of her, but I quite enjoyed reading most of this book - perhaps for mentions of other people more than her.
Greg
Wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. I also wasn't sure how to rate this book when I finished it. On the one hand it was packed with easy to digest information on Lana Turner's life which warrants 5 stars but on the other hand had too much on her sorted romantic entanglements with little mention of details onset unless it involved romance which I felt should maybe 2-3 stars.

Having more interest in film and Lana Turner's films themselves and film career rather than Lana Turner
Denis
Lana Turner's autobiography is quite a juicy read, and for anyone interested in the old Hollywood days, it's irresistible. That the author may have avoided some truths, or not told everything, is obvious, and all the events are seen through her eyes decades after they happened - which means there is a bias. So what? Turner was such a public figure, and had such a tumultuous life both on and off screen, that all accounts are different, yet they may all be true. Or not. All the same, Turner's book ...more
Sara
Mar 06, 2013 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Who knew that Lana Turner, the woman Pauline Kael called a Brand X commodity, could be so likeable? The fun bits are less in the lurid Hollywood details than in Turner's unselfconscious asides, like how she visualized her puppy being run over to cry on cue, or first husband, Arty Shaw's faux intellectualism. "He went on about Nietzsche and Schopenhauer (I tried to read them later, but didn't get far)."

Yes, there is a religious conversion on the last two pages, but one gets the feeling that Turne
Joey Stephano
Let me start off by saying I knew nothing about Lana Turner prior to reading this book. Ive taken a big interest in silver screen stars, and my mother bought me this book along with a few others. It took awhile to get into, but once I did, I really did. I loved her personality in the book, it shone through so very vividly. I loved the book itself, once I finally got into it, of course. I was at page 80 and in 2 days finished it all, and it was just lovely. I recommend it highly.
--AS
Aurora
Interesting Hollywood story and an OK read. I expected many more stories to fall in the "juicy" category, but Lana is much more likable than spicy. Almost too naive and trusting a portrait at times to be believable.
Amy Herrington
Lana comes across as very likeable and level-headed despite being a Hollywood movie star. I thoroughly enjoyed this account of her life. My copy of the book had a few typos in though.
Shelly
Feb 11, 2012 Shelly added it
I really enjoyed this book. Lana Turner held nothing back from the reader even though it was not flattering or made her look bad. She had quite a life and I am not sorry I read this.
Lisa James
Wow. She lived a fascinating life, but had horrible luck with men. Oh, & the "discovery" at Schwabs she debunks EARLY on in the book :) Just in case you wanted to know, LOL.
Tracy
Another old Hollywood autobiography. I know it's trashy, but I.Can't.Stop. Plus, Lana Turner? My hell, she was SOOO beautiful.
Annette
I really enjoyed treading this bio. It really gave me an insiders view to the hollywood star making machine.
M
Jul 13, 2009 M is currently reading it
What a woman--lived life robustly, hungrily without reserve.
Kurt Schlanker
Kurt Schlanker marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
taylore
taylore marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Magdalena Napierała
Magdalena Napierała marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kathi Jackson
Kathi Jackson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
tammy
tammy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kate Stout
Kate Stout marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • Ava: My Story
  • If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Confessions of an Actor
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • Haywire
  • Marlene Dietrich by Her Daughter
  • Dark Victory: The Life of Bette Davis
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • The Genius of the System: Hollywood Filmmaking in the Studio Era