Dare to Take Charge: How to Live Your Life on Purpose

Dare to Take Charge: How to Live Your Life on Purpose

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For nearly ten years, Judge Glenda Hatchett has delighted TV audiences with a brand of justice that turns the everyday into something eminently watchable.

Her message can be distilled into the following two words: Dare Yourself. Whatever obstacles or fears one faces, Judge Hatchett's prescription implores readers to write their own story in this life. With care and convicti...more
Published September 20th 2010 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Take Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Take Charge

African Americans on the Move Book Club
It is no secret that I am no big fan of self-help books. Furthermore, I am no fan of reality television, no matter the genre. With that in mind, I decided to look at Judge Glenda Hatchett’s book with an objective eye. At first I was not very impressed as it did not seem much different from any other self-help book. However, Dare to Take Charge picks up when Hatchett relays experiences from her courtroom and the lessons she has learned in her life. Her warm tone and common sense advice brought me...more
Marc Medley
Judge Hatchett hits the mark with this book. Excellent stories to illustrate her points. My kudos to her.
Hattie
This book,Dare To Take Charge,is a special gift from Judge Glenda Hatchett. The writing style of the book is filled with a caring heart for her family, the young people and parents she met while on the bench in Fulton County, Georgia. This book also shows her intense interest for the community when she is not sitting on the bench. Judge Glenda Hatchett is one of those people who carries her heart on her shoulder for all to see. She has a heart of action that will reach out at any time to help a...more
Tomi
Sep 01, 2010 Tomi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, very inspirational
Three Boys and an Old Lady Reviews

I had the opportunity to meet Judge Hatchett at the National PTA Convention earlier this year and was truly inspired. She shared stories of her career as a an attorney for Delta Airlines and how she transitioned from the private sector to serving as the first African American Chief Presiding Judge for the state of Georgia and later how she became judge of the syndicated show "Judge Hatchett".

Interactive as well as inspirational, DARE TO TAKE CHARGE challenges
Donna
What a great book! “Dare to Take Charge” provides clear, definitive advice on how to take charge of your life and dreams, and get what you want. Judge Glenda Hatchett provides wonderful examples throughout her book, and presents clear steps on just how to achieve anything you wish.

Written in a friendly, easy to read manner, “Dare to Take Charge” will undoubtedly change the lives of those who take the time to read and follow the steps provided in Judge Hatchett’s book.

I received this book for fre...more
Donna

I received this book for fre...more
Rhett
I have to admit this looked like a cheesy book but I got it anyways because it was like 1 dollar at borders when they went out of business. Anyways, I am pleasantly surprised so far. It's not a ground-breaking book by any means but a nice reminder of some stuff.
My sentiments at the beginning of the book hold true through the end. Glenda relates some interesting stories of interventions that illustrate how even those in dire cicumstances can rise above them. As far as personal improvement books g...more
Mary (BookHounds)
LOVED IT

I love to watch Judge Glenda Hatchett on her television show since she dispenses many words of common sense. I wasn't quite expecting this book to make me want to change my life, but that is exactly what you get when read this book. At the end of each chapter, you will read the bullet points that recap everything discussed and these are an important list to refer back to. If you have ever needed a cheerleader in your corner, the is a wonderful option if you don't have one on call.
Robert Hauptman
I am not normally a fan of "self-help" books, but I found this book to be more than just that. The theme stays constant throughout the book, "dare yourself." The author dares the reader to study the "good things" with the same interest and intensity that they study the "bad things." We all could use a good kick in the butt once in a while.
Theresa
This is a self-help book on fulfilling your dreams. Judge Hatchett's courtroom show was never about ratings or punishment but on teaching people to empower their life and enrich their dreams. This book is filled with advice and courtroom tidbits on her sucesses and failures.
Dimitria
This was a selection for our first bookclub meeting. At first I thought UGHHH for bookclub. But it was a good book. Her stories were "relatable"(if there is such a workd)and informative. I will re-read to do the things she suggests in each chapter
Joy
I got the book and it was a quick and easy read. Glenda wrote just like she talks and she gave good advice. It shows how she got to where she is today, the events that shaped her life. I would definately recomend it.
Joy
Helen
Really liked this book. Am passing this book to other family members so they can read it too.

Received this book free from Goodreads.
Isabelle
Aug 27, 2010 Isabelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Just won this book from Goodreads. Will certainly read it when I received it!
Erica
I am not a self-help book reader normally. That said, this was ok.
zaira  khan
zaira khan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Katrena
Katrena marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Moses Ojute
Moses Ojute marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Alisa Durant thornton
Alisa Durant thornton marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Kenisha Thompson
Kenisha Thompson marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say!: Saving Your Child from a Troubled World Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say!: 7 Simple Strategies to Help Our Children Along the Path to Purpose and Possibility Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say! If It Were Easy, Everybody and Their Mama Could Do It: 31 Days to Overcoming Tough Times