You're a Good Mom (and Your Kids Aren't So Bad Either)

You're a Good Mom (and Your Kids Aren't So Bad Either)

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  25 reviews

For 21st century mothers, there seem to be just two choices: be a Super Mom or be a Slacker Mom. One's bad for you; one's bad for your kids. So what's a momma to do?

In You're a Good Mom (and Your Kids Aren't So Bad Either), the Internet's favorite momma, Jen Singer, tells all. Turns out you can raise perfectly good kids in that sweet spot between flash cards at breakfast a

Published April 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about You're a Good Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're a Good Mom

Kressel Housman
I admit it. I judged a book by its cover - or more precisely, its title - and plunked down $14.00 I probably would never have spent had I taken the time to look inside first. That's not to say that I didn't learn a few parenting tips or that I didn't laugh, but this book is heavily steeped in American pop culture that has nothing to do with my reality. In fact, after reading all the author had to say about TV these days, I was more grateful than I've ever been that I live in the insular world of...more
Nancy B
This book disappointed me. I loved Jen Singer's 14 Hours 'til Bedtime, so I had high expectations. I also like the idea of "parenting from the middle"--that is, neither super mom nor slacker mom. But if Singer is mothering from the middle, then I am the ultimate slacker.

She has some good ideas in this book, but many are basics that I already knew. Other ideas seemed more like judgmental rants (not what I've come to expect from Singer based on her earlier book and her website MommaSaid.net). I t...more
Christy Sibila
I don't find Jen Singer to be all that "middle-of-the-road" when it comes to parenting. I mean, limit sports to one per season? I would be lucky to get each kid to one sport per year! And volunteer in your child's classroom only 1x per week? I try to volunteer or go on a field trip or chaperone a dance 1-2x per year per kid. Now, Jen is definitely focusing on the stay-at-home moms out there, and she only has 2 kids. I have 5 kids, and work outside the home. This probably explains the huge discon...more
Lydia
It's been a couple of months since I read this book...but I remember it being fast and interesting. Though a lot of it seems common sense to me, I did think she made some good points (of course, maybe that's cause I lean to those areas already). Really it's about being involved in your children's lives but not going overboard. (i.e. one sport per season...it's okay to wait till they are older to put them in the competitive leagues, etc...helping out how and where you can at their schools but not...more
Robin
This is probably the only parenting book I can honestly say I read from cover to cover. For me, it was just a lot of common sense. I enjoyed most of it, though she did get a little bit preachy at times (The chapter on clothing. While I share her opinon, she went on and on and on and on...) I think what got me through was the humor and the fact that she wasn't lecturing me on how to be a better parent. It was just her opinions on how to stay sane.
Melissa
May 28, 2008 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms and dads
This is a really fun, yet informative book to read. I think a lot of it is common sense, but it is more of a reminder to stick to the simple advice that can often get muddied through lots of other advice from lots of different sources. The author, Jen Singer, is probably just a few years older than me and so I really connected with her childhood memories and the examples that she gave. She is hysterical! Did I mention, hysterical?
Kaiti Rae
Funny at times... But i felt that the author was reallllly judgemental of everyone else's parenting. Don't get me wrong.. i got a few good tips, and good laughs. But overall i found myself saying.. " Really, lady?" The authors note at the end of the book was really touching though. Probably the only part of the book that i was really into reading.
Steph
What a fantastic book! Funny, smart, common sense and direct. This book is great for all moms. There are a couple of sections I wish my husband would read, too... She does get repetitive from time to time, but it's entertaining and informative enough that it's okay.
Josalyn
This book was amazingly entertaining and profound at the same time. My favorite chapters in it were 'Don't let the Youth Sports Cartel run your life' and 'Your daughter shouldn't be wearing a shirt that says Future Trophy Wife' Loved it. I laughed out loud.
donewithdora
I always read parenting books with a grain of salt. I enjoy reading them from time to time to get ideas & re-evaluate my own parenting. The author was entertaining & brought up some good points, even if I didn't wholeheartedly agree with every single point.
Nancy
Thought it would be funny and maybe informative. Wasn't really either. This woman is probably a good mom and is probably a good writer, but she's definitely not a parenting expert. I should have chosen something else to read at the beach.
Emily
Oct 18, 2010 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This was an entertaining read. I can't say I agree with all of her ideas, but she had me laughing. Thanks Joss! Also kudos to the author for writing this book while fighting cancer. That would be so rough!
Lynn Werre
Started out strong but I thought she got a little self-rightous in the middle. Not sorry I read it but definately not the most humerous parenting book I've read (that wouldbe The Gay Uncle's Guide).
Holly
I must admit that I didn't read this whole book, but the first couple of chapters were so overwhelmingly negative that I actually took it back to the store without finishing it.
Jerrilynn Lilyblade
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jenny Garone
I was hoping for a little more substance to this book. I think this book might be more appropriate for mothers of tweens than infants & toddlers.
Sara
This book was good. It is a reminder that we don't have to be super mom to be a good mom to our kids.
Melissa
Fun mommy-blog book. I enjoyed reading her perspective (esp. because I tended to agree with her)!
Angie
Such a great book, she is very funny and really puts being a Mom into perspective.
Tricia
She basically says the same not-too-funny stuff over and over and over again.
Okay, but didn't grab me enough to finish it.
Ashley
Good read for a first time Mom.
Amber
Fun, fast read that made me laugh.
Stacey
I thought it was hilarious and spot on
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Minda Carpenter
Minda Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Stop Second-Guessing Yourself: The Toddler Years: A Field-Tested Guide to Confident Parenting 14 Hours 'Til Bedtime: A Stay at Home Mom's Life in 27 Funny Little Stories Stop Second-Guessing Yourself--The Preschool Years: A Field-Tested Guide to Confident Parenting Stop Second-Guessing Yourself--Baby's First Year: A Field-Tested Guide to Confident Parenting