Start by marking “Software Project Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
Software Project Survival Guide

Software Project Survival Guide

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Equip yourself with SOFTWARE PROJECT SURVIVAL GUIDE. It's for everyone with a stake in the outcome of a development project--and especially for those without formal software project management training. That includes top managers, executives, clients, investors, end-user representatives, project managers, and technical leads.Here you'll find guidance from the acclaimed aut ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Microsoft Press

To ask other readers questions about Software Project Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software Project Survival Guide

David Brockley
A lot of this book was common sense stuff that I already do. There were a number of new concepts that I think will be valuable improvements to the way that I work. The key thing that I got from this book though were the small number of instances that played out like this: That's a really good idea. I've come across this before and decided that it should be done... I don't actually do this, do I? Why do I not do this already? So chastened, I think I came away from this book a better engineer.
Tom Schulte
I really enjoyed this, possibly the most concise and short of McConnell's software design and project management tomes. I found I labeled for reference many spots in this work: Customer's Bill of Rights, Survival Test Score (cf., Raleigh Model), a good overview of required elements of a software process around requirements. Among the points I found interesting was the research into the ineffeciency of open work bays vis-avis the need for continued focus by developers.

I also liked the broad view
Krishna Kumar
A reasonably good introduction to managing software projects. The author uses a typical waterfall model for the book and emphasizes many important concepts, such as getting requirements right and the need for planning. Overall, a good starter book, but most people should move onto reading other books on software project management.
Jorge
Un libro de consejos sobre como volver a tener control sobre un proyecto
Keith
Feb 16, 2010 Keith marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It appears that I will be the technical lead on a new software project---a project that will be substantially larger than the typical research projects I've worked on. So I'm planning to revisit some of my books on managing software projects, including this title. I just hope I don't need to re-read Death March!
Craig Cecil
Most of us have been involved with software projects that we would just as soon forget--or at least run away from screaming. If you want to learn how software projects should be run, or how to run one correctly yourself, then Steve McConnell presents a straightforward, common-sense approach that can be applied to all types of projects. The companion web site provides a complete collection of templates to support all aspects of managing a software project.
Lyle
It's been a long time since I first read this book, but I remember that it's the sort of opinionated, no-nonsense kind of guide that's really useful for beginning project managers who just need someone to tell them "how to do it", until they can get the hang of things and start to develop their own project management style. I suspect that most of the advice still holds up well.
Michael Ryan
Steve McConnell is always worth reading.

This book has some good stuff in it.

All I would say is that, just because it says, "Constantly manage stakeholder expectations," for example, does not mean that it is easy to do, or that anyone who reads this book can actually do it. Still, to read the sentence is probably better than not reading it.
Aggiebradley
I thought this was an excellent book back when I originally read it, years ago. There is some great advice. But I attempted to re-read this book recently and it felt dated in the age of Agile development and Scrum.

I wonder if it could be updated to provide more recent content while keeping the basic information together?
Amr Abuellil
u will find the link to the author website were he has much more books for you .

in this link http://your-wayout.blogspot.com/2012/...

this is my blog ... u will find more topics about other books too ..

Scott
I became a project lead somewhat quickly and unexpectedly and this was one of the first books I picked up to get a handle of what I could be expected of me. It proved to be a good thing to read and has served me well since.
Danien
Lots of checklists that are theoretically sound and good for large teams and projects but the overhead is way too high for smaller projects.
Barry
A very good book on successful software project delivery. Some will find the book dated but the principles are still very sound and relevant.
k.wing
Skimmed this one. The information could've possibly summarized in a short article, but good step-by-step for a software team.
Russ Painter
It's been a while since I read this. It was a great book about the entire process and how to avoid the death march.
Adam
Jun 03, 2008 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adam by: Software Engineers
Shelves: technical, business
I consider this required reading for anyone in a position to manage or participate in a software project of any size.
Josh Readmore
The programmers and customers bill of rights at the beginning of the book is just golden.
Doug
Lots of great practical advice, including checklists
OMER
OMER marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Jasem Alqattan
Jasem Alqattan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Normunds Neimanis
Normunds Neimanis is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2015
Remy Lambert
Remy Lambert marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
  • Dynamics of Software Development
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Writing Effective Use Cases
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Mastering the Requirements Process
  • User Interface Design for Programmers
  • Death March
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • UML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • The Practice of Programming
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Code Complete Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art Professional Software Development: Shorter Schedules, Higher Quality Products, More Successful Projects, Enhanced Careers After the Gold Rush: Creating a True Profession of Software Engineering