Start by marking “God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the Southeastern Conference” as Want to Read:
God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the Southeastern Conference

God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the Southeastern Conference

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A die-hard football fan since childhood, Chad Gibbs travels to the twelve Southeastern conference schools during game day weekend in order to discover if football fanaticism in the South qualifies as idol worship.
Published August 24th 2010 by Zondervan (first published August 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about God and Football, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God and Football

J.E. Jr.
Mar 29, 2012 J.E. Jr. rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy read that hit on an important topic and hit it well.

The inherent issue addressed by this book— stated clearly in the title, the tension between football fanaticism (especially in the Southeastern Conference, but in many other football conferences and many other sports as well) and the Christian faith— is an issue that I’ve recognized for years as a central struggle, or at least something that should be a central struggle, for Christians who are also sports fans. The problem
Michael
Nov 15, 2010 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Similar to Clay Travis' "Dixieland Delight," the emphasis of Chad Gibb's "God and Football" is a bit more spiritual and features a lot less swearing.

After seeing the passion displayed by SEC fans for their favorite teams and then comparing that the passion displayed for their Christian walk, Gibbs decided to visit all 12 SEC stadiums and see how other fans balanced their love of football with their love of Christ. The end result is this memoir, a journey to all the campuses in the SEC and a loo
Scarlett Sims
Oh man. I'm so glad someone wrote this book. I've always been a bit disgusted at the worship of football and Chad Gibbs is able to recognize his own failing as a Christian by admitting his obsession with football frequently ventures into the realm of idol worship. He visits each of the teams in the SEC and talks with people of various Christian denominations about how they balance their love of football with love of God. It's a fascinating read and I like Gibbs' sense of humor. I'd especially re ...more
April Bailey
Sep 06, 2010 April Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. Being a Christian and also a big football fan it really made me look at priorities in my own life. Some parts of the book I was laughing so hard i was crying. Very good book that I would recommend to any football fan.
Matt
Dec 22, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a past student and he let me borrow his copy. Chad writes a hilarious recounting of his adventures through the SEC. His premise is a little contrived--how to balance God and football--and comes to the conclusion that sports shouldn't be our source of happiness. Most people could come to that conclusion on their own but I think it's the journey that makes it a fun read. I'm no football fan but I found myself laughing along with Chad. I just wish I could be as wi ...more
Michael
Dec 30, 2010 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having met the author -- and sharing a mutual affinity for and degree from Auburn University -- I admittedly have a little bias. As another qualifier, I've never considered myself a college football fanatic -- at least not to the point of painting my torso -- but while also working for Auburn, football is king during the fall and affects all we do. Trouble is, I've also been that fan planning all week for tailgates and game-day logistics, then tuckered out on Sunday to fully participate in (or, ...more
Andy
Dec 23, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
What a fun book!

For those of us Christians who enjoy football (and probably enjoy football a bit too much), I thought this book brought wonderful perspective to the intersection of faith and football fanaticism. With poignant humor and depth of insight, author Chad Gibbs considers how his faith is affected by his love for Auburn Tiger football. Is it going too far? Has he said or done anything he might regret for his "faith" in sport? Worse yet, has it affected his relationship with God?

To ans
Joe Healy
Jun 29, 2015 Joe Healy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For starters, I felt like this book was speaking directly to me, as both a Christian and a college football fanatic. Granted, I'm an alum of an FCS program and not a behemoth SEC program, so my "fandom" isn't fueled quite the same way as Chad's, but I understood where he was coming from in a lot of ways.

I have to admit that I was predisposed to liking this book, as I'm always a fan of books that are organized this way when it comes to college football. Clay Travis' Dixieland Delight is organize
Lisa
Nov 12, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a graduate and/or former student of 4 SEC schools (and the spouse of a graduate of a 5th), this book brought back fond memories. I actually laughed outloud at times, as I can relate to some of the craziness Gibbs depicts. I loved learning about other schools wacky traditions, fight-songs, mascots (real and otherwise), and fans! I would actually love to do this someday with my SEC fanatic husband (maybe a gift to ourselves after retirement).
I will say, however, that I personally cannot under
Magnus
Apr 29, 2014 Magnus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was amusing and takes an honest look about how our hobbies such as football can be a concern to our faith walk and witness. He tours several SEC towns, goes to the games, and seeks out faith communities in their towns. I'm a BIG 12 kid and I now know infinitely more about the SEC landscape.
Leslie
Jan 22, 2013 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't as bad as the 2 stars I gave it, but I gave it the two stars because the author reinforced the feeling that most SEC fans have that there is no such thing as avid fans, let alone good football, outside of the SEC. Also, his inability to understand how fans could care about other sports besides football really annoyed me. Otherwise, I liked the idea of the author trying to reconcile his faith with his passion for football. I think many fans struggle with the feeling that their de ...more
Emmanuel Ehrich
Nov 18, 2013 Emmanuel Ehrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that i red for my second reading log is call God and Football. It is a non-fiction sport story. This book was about athletes and their stories while playing football. I liked this book because some of the stories related to me and the christian aspect of the book got me hooked.
This book started with the 2008 SEC football game. And how many people went and how many tickets were sold. As a Christian, Gibbs knows he cannot serve two masters, but at times his faith is overwhelmed by his fan
Jerry
Feb 03, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi Chad! I know you're reading. I really liked your book. I'm glad the Auburn nation finally got that National Championship-thingy. It will be Auburn's turn again next year since Auburn and Alabama now win the National Championship on alternating years, so next fall I will add War Eagle to my vocabulary - just for God, you, and my best church buddy who loaned me his copy of your book and said with all seriousness: "You need to read this."
Jul 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me laughing out loud especially the first few chapters. The author, a rabid Auburn fan, goes to a football game in each SEC school and explores the conflict between his Christian faith and his "idolization" of college football. He is really funny which shouldn't have been a surprise since he lists Jon Acuff (author of What Christians Like) as a friend. My husband also really enjoyed this book.
Mark C. Kelly
Entertaining read, but I didn't feel like the author broke any new ground. I give him credit for not offering a "solution" to the problem, but he didn't say anything revolutionary.
Oh, and take the time to look up Belmont. I'm not an alumnus, but their ties to the music business are fairly well known. The Beyonce/Belmont reference was sort of lazy, and not really funny.
But overall, a good book on a subject I like.
Timmy
Oct 13, 2013 Timmy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"It was okay." Definitely more humorous than spiritual, and often the book was more of a platform for the author's sense of humor than his originally stated intent. I would've liked to see the book do more with the concept of visiting all the SEC cities and delivering different perspectives from Christian fans of each team. Oh well, it was a quick read and still had some redeeming qualities.
Jenna
Mar 12, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Amazing, Hilarious, Laugh Out Loud funny. One of my favorite books ever! Thank you, Mr.Gibbs. You are truly a comedian. This book had me cracking up. If you do read this book and you are an Auburn fan, then you might like the definition of "Roll Tide" in the back of the book. That one had me cracking up for a couple of days. I definitely give this book 5 stars.
Paul
Interesting attempt at putting God and Football together in one conversation. However, I felt this book was more like a documentation of a road trip to the different teams in the SEC, more than a real discussion about God and Football. Nevertheless, it gives another perspective into the world of SEC Football.
Doug Sullivan
Feb 21, 2012 Doug Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically funny little book on the fervor of football fanatics and where all that rates in light of spiritual life. A little too self-deprecating regarding the faith of the believer for my taste. But I suppose it is criticism well earned when reminded of how disproportionate our passions can be
Dec 13, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a religious person, so his constant references got a bit old. He seemed to repeat the same references as well. Overall, I enjoyed it because it dealt with the SEC and he definitely had me laughing hysterically at parts. I must say I preferred Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer to this book.
Kristen
Oct 01, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the perspective in this book. Football stories in the SEC are some of the best stories to be told and there was no lack of those from Mr. Gibbs. Being an Alabama alum I enjoyed reading this a few years after the fact. It was nice to reminisce on that championship season. ;)
Lisa
Dec 19, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author visited each SEC school for a game during the 2009 season and went to a church in each town on the following Sunday. The book contains thoughts on football being more of a religion to people in the south than their actual religion. Thought provoking.
Jonathon Cody
Aug 21, 2012 Jonathon Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to this book by a close friend and I would highly recommend it. The book will keep you glued to it and laughing the entire time. Anyone interested in souther culture and how it relates to the South Eastern Conference should read this book
Ben Zajdel
Jan 21, 2012 Ben Zajdel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Humorous and insightful, though I would have liked to see Chad expound on some of his ideas a little more. He's a great writer, and this topic is incredibly relevant to those of us who live in the South.
Betsy
Nov 16, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun. Being an avid South Carolina fan I was amazed how he just nailed the aura of a Gamecocks Saturday. With the way Auburn is performing this year, maybe the Good Lord likes this book too! ;)
Mary Ann
Jan 27, 2011 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I love Chad Gibbs' humor and writing style, and of course the topic hits very close to home as well. His accounts of his trips to each SEC city/town are priceless. Highly recommend this book!
Catherine Sandy
It was ok. Since I'm not an avid fan like the author, I really don't have a problem with making football my Idol. In the whole scheme of things, it's just a game. When it's over, it's over!
Steve King
Jul 06, 2011 Steve King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. One of the best I have read this year. A humorous view on how to keep a person's faith and their love of their college football team in perspective.
Damecatoe
Aug 01, 2011 Damecatoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
I don't even LIKE football, and yet I didn't want this book to end. I can think of no better way to sum up how much I enjoyed this.
Annie
Nov 19, 2011 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having such a good time reading this book... so many LOL moments. A must for SEC football fans.
  • Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story
  • Allure
  • Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America
  • The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club: Power, Passion, and Politics in the Nation's Capital
  • Marked for Death: Islam's War Against the West and Me
  • Dixieland Delight: A Football Season on the Road in the Southeastern Conference
  • Desert Places
  • Elizabeth Rex
  • And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road
  • The Power of Praying: Help for a Woman's Journey Through Life
  • Zulfi Bhutto of Pakistan: His Life & Times
  • Conflict Free Living: How to Build Healthy Relationships for Life
  • The Things That Matter
  • The Renaissance Soul: How to Make Your Passions Your Life—A Creative and Practical Guide
  • Wedding Girl
  • The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity
  • Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want
  • Introverts in Love: The Quiet Way to Happily Ever After
Chad Gibbs is the best-selling (Okay, regional best-selling) author of God & Football: Faith an Fanaticism in the SEC. He has written for CNN, The Washington Post, and RELEVANT Magazine, and has made numerous (Okay, three) appearances on ESPN. Gibbs and his wife currently reside in Alabama with their son and two dogs, Harper and Bob Vance.
More about Chad Gibbs...