Start by marking “Hybrids” as Want to Read:
Hybrids

Hybrids

For years, people have feared that sexual material removed from victims of alien abductions might lead to the creation of something that modern science considers impossible: hybrids of the alien and the human.

They would think like aliens, but appear human, and be able to do something that full-blooded aliens can't--walk the earth freely.

In Hybrids, Whitley Strieber unleas
Published April 12th 2011 by Tor Books (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hybrids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hybrids

Alfredo
Nov 26, 2011 Alfredo rated it it was ok
Like other Strieber books this one had a terrific premise poorly executed. The plot could have been excellent in better hands like Preston/Childs, Rollins, or Stephen King. Instead it was repetitive (how many times do we need to hear the gen 1 hybrids licking their chops when humans were killed, or the deep but mysterious feelings the shared.)

Some characters popped in and got a lot of detail only to be killed senselessly, there was a huge hole between the deep sixing & the resurgence, and it
Daniel Lambert
Apr 20, 2011 Daniel Lambert rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced, horrific thriller. Whitley Strieber is a wonderful writer, but I like his nonfiction ("Communion," "The Key") more than his fiction. One scene in "Hybrids" that bugged me is when a character throws a combat knife "like a boomerang." The knife lops off the head of a worm-like creature, then turns around so the thrower can catch it. I contend that this is impossible, regardless of the user's skill. If you have thrown a knife like a boomerang and caught it, feel free to correct me.
JoAnn Jordan
Jun 24, 2011 JoAnn Jordan rated it really liked it
Whitley Strieber does aliens, and hybrids like no one else. His touch is deft. The creatures in this novel will haunt you and entrance you. The heroes are like us, but unlike. This story is well written and keeps the interest throughout.

I definitely enjoyed this book and give it a high recommendation.
Doug
Apr 06, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it
There's some good movie material here!
Jessica Nelson
Publisher: Tor Books, Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, April, 2011
Length: 336 pages
Price: $24.99 US/$28.99 CAN
ISBN: 978-0-7653-2376-7 (hardcover)

Hybrids is a book that looks at the claims of alien abductions and UFO sightings, and asks, “what if … ?” What if we’re visited regularly by alien races? What if they’re still here? What if they’re actually working with our government(s)? What if the highest levels of those governmen
Mitch Duckworth
Feb 21, 2012 Mitch Duckworth rated it liked it
Dear Whitley:

I have to tell you; this book creeped me out any number of times. Over the last few years, I've been reading fewer and fewer books likely to induce fear, not by design, necessarily; it's just that I've been focusing less on genre. It's not that I had to sleep with the lights on, but Whitley, you unnerved me with this one. I cannot even tell you why. I may have to read it again to gain insight as to why it got under my skin.

Other readers have pointed out a few instances where willin
Martin Hill
Feb 17, 2015 Martin Hill rated it really liked it
The aliens came and, finding humans boring, went. Behind them they left extremely advanced alien gene-splicing equipment which a secret U.S. government program uses to create genetically engineered, nearly indestructible soldiers. When the black program is discovered by Congress, however, funding is cut and the hybrids ordered destroyed. Two of the earliest hybrids – a young boy and a girl who are half human – are spared and raised separately as humans. The rest – bizarre, engineered nonhumans – ...more
Sheena  at Hot Eats and Cool Reads
I won this book from Goodread's First Reads Giveaway.

This book for me was 3.5 stars but not quite 4, so I rated it a 3. I loved the storyline and the ending was just as I wanted for Mark & Gina. I found myself not wanting to put this down for most of the book, but towards the end, I just wanted to be finished as it started to drag on. It was an overall good read and I liked it!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read this book!
David
Apr 18, 2011 David rated it liked it
Thank you to Goodreads and Tor for sending me an advanced copy of this book. Hybrids is a pretty interesting sci-fi read which primarily revolves around two hybrids, Mark and Gina who are human in appearance yet possess extraordinary physical skills. Throughout the book, they struggle with their own identities as well as fighting other generations of hybrids who are not as human as they are. I'd recommend it to fans of sci-fi or readers who enjoy Whitley Strieber.
Yolanda
Apr 11, 2011 Yolanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a first-read from Goodreads giveaways.
A quick paced, thought provoking read. I found myself cheering for a side that is only part human, but had the most important part, heart. Where can our brilliant minds take us? I recommend this for a great adventure.
Lori
Jun 21, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Totally creepy sci-fi thriller about an alien/robot/human hybrids gone wild. A bit graphic at times for my taste but I guess with all the vampire and zombie action going these days I shouldn't be surprised.
Maryam Malik
When he's good he's very good but when he's bad.....
Claudia
Jul 31, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing
The last page is DYNAMITE! Purple prose at its absolute best.
Cynthia
Apr 06, 2011 Cynthia marked it as to-read
It is an extremely intellectual read. Many ideas in the book were very provoking and enticed me to say that this one will stick, with a hook, line and sinker.
Sara
Mar 17, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
i won this in the goodreads giveaway, can't wait to read it! :)
Alan Meyer
Of course, I haven't read this one yet, but Whitley never fails to provide a good story, but it is always very well written. The man is a master!
Alan Meyer
Rebecca
Apr 12, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this book greatly. I now have another author to watch for. I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.

Beth Mathison
Scary!!!
Sensitivemuse
Oct 26, 2011 Sensitivemuse rated it liked it
I loved the book for the action. The utter chaos and graphic depictions in the book are rather hard to swallow at times so it might not be for the feint of heart. It’s a typical story plot where you have elements of aliens and the government going hand in hand. So, don’t expect anything new or different. I’d have to say there’s two memorable moments that got to me in this book: San Francisco gone absolute amok, and the part with the hybrids and that village. The latter creeped me out. I’d have t ...more
Eric Allen
Oct 20, 2015 Eric Allen rated it liked it
Overall, the book was decent. The premise was interesting and his description of various scenes was quite vivid. The biggest issues I found were with the two main characters however. Each time we got a glimpse into Mark or Gina's head their thoughts about each other were constantly about their one night, and describing their deep love for one another. A few times would have been okay, every single time, as if they cannot think about anything else when thinking of each other us too much. Their di ...more
Nikki
Dec 31, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
While the book gets bogged down in the military aspect of things and also has some poor dialogue, in the end, it kept my interest. While the "alien" part of the character keeps you guessing, in the end, it is the humanity of those involved that steals the show. While it took me awhile to really get into the characters (and Gina was never as developed as the main character and ended up a little "stepfordy" for me), once you get into Mark's struggle, I found the book thoroughly entertaining. The n ...more
Dodie Reed
Oct 28, 2011 Dodie Reed rated it really liked it
This is the second time I've read this book. The first time I found it a bit slow in the beginning. This time, reading it with a fresh eye, I found it very good.

Two brilliant geneticists decide that they should try to build the ultimate combination of mechanical and biological attributes to be the most advanced soldier that has ever been.

Generations one and two are completely human in appearance in appearance. Generation three is not. The story is how these three generations of humanoid/mechanic
Andy Nieradko
Mar 10, 2012 Andy Nieradko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Every time I finish one of Mr. Strieber's books, I find myself thinking, there's no way he will ever top this one. Yet each time, he does. Wow. Hybrids is in a class all its own. It's a romantic science fiction horror that oddly seems like it could possibly happen one day. Maybe tomorrow, or the day after. The characters in this story really pop. There are many moments of pure terror, and some incredible balancing acts of taking you into ultra violent brutality without being gratuitous. Very cin ...more
Becky
Dec 04, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
After reading some of the previous reviews I would like to say "First off, this book is SCIENCE FICTION people". If you can't open your mind to that scenario, then don't read the book.

I felt it had many thought provoking issues. Could this really happen? Is there really alien life "out there"? I thoroughly enjoyed reading how the series 1 characters progressed. The ending was really bittersweet for me.

If mankind is ever able to make machines that act like & think like humans, who are we to s
David Marshall
Mar 16, 2012 David Marshall rated it did not like it
I would not say it is unreadable because it did read it to the end. If someone makes the time available to write a book, it's a matter of respect that a reader takes the time to finish it. That said, this is an incoherent narrative and promoting a conspiracy theorist's belief in the reality of alien abduction and the resulting technology to produce alien-human hybrids.

Maureen
Jan 26, 2012 Maureen rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Whitley Strieber did his usual decent job in writing this novel. It is full of action, tightly plotted, and has enough twists and turns to keep the reader turning the pages. Still and yet, I could not help feeling that Strieber exhibited less of the artist and more of the workman in crafting this work. If he had taken the time to write an additional fifty pages, and had used those pages to work on character development, this would have been a much better book.
Ralph McEwen
Sep 17, 2012 Ralph McEwen rated it it was ok
Not a bad story. It just could have been so much better. The attempts to have the hybrids question their sense of self didn't work; I didn't feel their angst. The focus should have been on the action and suspense, but then the reader would be more aware of the repetitiveness. Also the hybrids were supposed to be so smart and all, but they kept getting defeated.
Judith
Mar 27, 2012 Judith rated it it was ok
Shelves: scary, sci-fi
Unfortunately the imagery that was produced in my mind from the events of this story was too horrible and graphic. Struggled to make it to the end. The jumping, flying and flickering sequences were interesting. The characters were also interesting, but so many didn't make it. Not one of my favorite of his books.
Luke DeWaal
Jul 09, 2016 Luke DeWaal rated it did not like it
I think this book was missing only a few things to make it a fantastic novel. They are: characters, sensible plotting, even the most rudimentary grasp of how to write prose, a decent premise, believable dialogue, characters (yes, twice. Characterization is abysmal). Without a doubt, one of the worst books I can ever recall reading.
Daniel Williams
Dec 27, 2012 Daniel Williams rated it it was ok
I thought the original premise of using alien technology to enhance human capability was interesting; however, the author exaggerated the premise, effects, and plot, and trying the get to the end of the book was a chore. The last chapters were, in my opinion, completely unnecessary. Still a case of why scientists must be very careful and ethical in their work.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Alien Contact: Top-Secret UFO Files Revealed
  • A.D. After Disclosure: The People's Guide to Life After Contact
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • The Initiation of Pb500 (Pb500, #1)
  • Savage Bay
  • Mad Skills
  • The Immortality Virus
  • Awakenings (Guardians of Aandor, #1)
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • The Transformation of Things
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • UFOs and the National Security State 2: The Cover-up Exposed 1973-91
  • Blood Trust (Jack McClure, #3)
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • Heaven's Shadow (Heaven's Shadow, #1)
  • The End of Marking Time
  • Dante's Journey
  • Gods of Eden: Egypt's Lost Legacy and the Genesis of Civilization
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t
More about Whitley Strieber...