Start by marking “Vanish (Firelight, #2)” as Want to Read:

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  20,056 ratings  ·  1,734 reviews
An impossible romance.
Bitter rivalries.
Deadly choices.

To save the life of the boy she loves, Jacinda did the unthinkable: She betrayed the most closely-guarded secret of her kind. Now she must return to the protection of her pride knowing she might never see Will again—and worse, that because his mind has been shaded, Will’s memories of that fateful night and why she had t...more
Published September 6th 2011 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Vanish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanish

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
45th out of 1,277 books — 6,805 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerVanish by Sophie Jordan
best "eye" on the cover
5th out of 660 books — 1,512 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexa
The love-triangle RUINED it for me. I don't even care who Jacinda ends up with at this point. I really don't. I liked Will in Firelight, but I didn't care for him in this book (honestly, didn't even give him a second thought, which might be because he was barely in it). I was neutral towards Cassian in Firelight, and I ended up disliking him in this book.

I just don't understand why everyone is in love with Jacinda. It was worse because she kept going back and forth with this: 'I want Will. No, I...more
Sophie Jordan
Mar 11, 2011 Sophie Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Um, yes ... I wrote ... I love ... ;)
Dinjolina
Jan 13, 2013 Dinjolina marked it as to-read
There is another?
There is!OMG!!!!YES!
And now there is this super lovely cover....
So,who wants my kidney in order for me to get an copy before release? :))

Edit:The kidney is still up for grabs! :)
Edit no2:As you can see I still did not readf this...don't you just hate it when the next book in a series is a year away? Well! I am going for it all when book 3 comes out. Hope the pretty covers hold some good writing! ^^
Lea
CAUTION: RANTING AHEAD. (Not the whole thing, but I had a lot to get off my chest lol)

First I need to say just how much I love the covers for these books so far-- I really liked Firelight's, but I think I like Vanish's even more-- and when you put the two side-by-side, it's just like, **wow.** Love them! So now we know what Jacinda and Tamra look like, I wonder who we will be seeing on the third cover?!

Alright, so now onto the actual story.

The number one reason that I enjoyed Vanish so much mor...more
Crowinator
**Spoiler alert: After the first two paragraphs of my review, there are a few spoilers, so please don't continue reading if you want to avoid them.**

Whenever I think of Jacinda in this book, I think of myself as a teenager, lying on my bed in the dark (in the afternoon, no less), repeatedly listening to The Cure and Pearl Jam, writing depressing songs lyrics and poems on my Converse in marker; writing stories in which I am hit by a car and everyone feels so sorry they weren’t nicer to me before...more
tonya.
I wanted so much more from this follow up to Firelight, which was a lush and refreshing take on YA fantasy. Unfortunately, Vanish suffers from what I hope is merely Second Book Slump and not an indication of the way the third book will go.

Vanish picks up immediately where Firelight left off--as though Jordan wrote them as one big book and split them in half--with Cassian taking Jacinda, Tamra and their mother back to the pride. What follows is three hundred pages of prettily written teenage ang...more
April
OMG!!!!!!!! IM SOOO HAPPY THT I FOUND THIS BOOK!!!!!!!! I WAS SOOOOOOOO MAD AT THE ENDING OF THE FIRST BOOK I ALMOST CRIED AT THE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOO HAPPT =)
♥ ĸαяα ♥
Holy crap. That cover is EPIC.

Freaking loved it! And Cassian, of course. ;) Can't wait for the next book!
Sandy
Sep 16, 2011 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Firelight and those who like their paranormal romance heavy on the romance
Sophie Jordan knows how to write one steamy kiss.

I admit: as soon as I opened Vanish, I skipped ahead to read a highly anticipated reunion scene. (I mean, I have been looking forward to this moment for almost 365 days...at least, that's how I justified it.) Once I was satiated, I decided to behave myself and read the book in order from page 1...and I kept burning through the pages until I'd read Vanish in one sitting. Sophie Jordan's writing flows like a seasoned pro's. It's easy to lose yoursel...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
*spoiler FREE*

Dear Vanish, let me count all the things I love about you.... This is a fantastic sequel! I really liked what Sophie did with the story line and the direction it goes. Not only did she introduce more of her Draki world, she included a few great kissy scenes, added a lot more action (no I don't mean that kind), and she ends Vanish with the perfect set up for the next book. I literally could not put this book down once I started it.

I loved how much more in-depth the characters are i...more
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

I was really excited for this book because Firelight leaves us in such promising ending. But again nothing worthy happens. There’s the Tamar’s thing and Jacinda back and forth feelings that really annoys me and ... that’s all! I kept waiting for something to develop, and about halfway through the book, the story got really promising. Again! Talks about the consistency of the author.
Great start.
and then boring.
more boring.
until the last page gets exciting again.
then bam! Cliffhanger!

there are too...more
Colleen Houck
Vanish is just as awesome as Firelight! First I think the cover is beautiful. I was hoping to learn more about the Draki and I wasn't disappointed. I love that the story is so layered that I keep uncovering new things about this world as I read on. My favorite part was when we were able to see a draki manifest for the first time. Won't give anything away but its a really cool thing. There are some twists in here too that I didn't see coming. Absolutely can't wait until the next book!
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
I am so in love! I never thought I can love a series so much as I do this one. Sophie Jordan has an amazing imagination! Just like with Firelight, I read Vanish in FOUR HOURS! It's so fast paced and an easy read, that I quickly got lost inside. I loved every minute of it! I want to share so much about Vanish, but I feel I would ruin it for those who have not read Firelight, the first in the series. I will try my best not to ruin it for anyone.

Vanish begins right where Firelight left off. They fi...more
~Tina~

Hey now, I actually liked this one!

I was a bit nervous getting back into the draki world, the first book Firelight was enjoyable, but there were a few things that annoyed me so I wasn't to keen jumping into it's sequel right away. Funny enough, I actually enjoyed Vanish more.

I was so happy that we've passed the high school setting. Not that I minded it, but I read a ton of books within that world, and I'm more interested in seeing the Dragon world. I was hoping for more lush detail, but...more
Jess
"It's a feathery kiss, lips brushing, grazing, tasting, almost as if we were afraid of startling each other. And we are."

Could.Not.Put.It.Down! I was soooo excited when NetGalley approved me to review Vanish. I loved Firelight, and I was hoping that Vanish wouldn't disappoint; because I know how some sequels can be a let down if the first was incredible. But lucky for me, Vanish was brilliant. Actually better than Firelight. Yeah, I know.

Sophie Jordan, has an incredible imagination, and her wor...more
Mikaela
This book better amaze! After the shockingly bad ending of the previous one, I'm about ready to give up with this series. The plot, characters and premise of the story I all found AMAZING. The excecution? Not so much. Let's hope this book redeems the ending of the last, or I'm going to go crazy...
Katy
I really want to support a local author, but unfortunately, I just couldn't honestly say that I liked this book.

This book is SO heavily emotionally bogged down. The first eight chapters of the book was about her whining and wallowing in self pity. (view spoiler) On and on. It was just too much.

There were times I was just dying to...more
Annie Brewer
****SPOILERS AHEAD****

4.5 I-love-Will stars

Finished in 12 hours.

WOW!! This was...frustrating...nail-bitingly nervewracking....intense...heartbreakingly beautiful. It was a perfect continuation of Jacinda's fight for freedom. From the pride where her life is laid before her. Where she's hunted upon the Draki hunters who killed her dad and those of her kind.

Since returning to the Pride, her home where she's able to be her glorious dragon-self, her heart is still broken, yearning for Will. The hunt...more
Kari
The Short Version:
Kicking up the overall emotional intensity, Vanish picks up quickly after the close of Firelight and doesn’t bother recapping previous events. With the same strong writing and bold storytelling, but building both the world and characters in surprising ways, this one raises the bar from the first book while still playing on the great elements of Firelight. Tying things up with a great plot and stunning writing, Vanish will lure the reader in and not let go.

The Extended Version:
J...more
Willinda
Jakou dobu jsem se tady rozhodovala mezi čtyřmi a pěti hvězdičkami a neustále jsem se přikláněla spíš k těm čtyř... ale sakra, vždyť jsem při čtení vytvořila určitě nový rekord v zadržení dechu! takže tak :D
-----

Jacinda si toho v uplynulých měsících prožila dost. Svou vlastní matkou byla proti své vůli odvlečena z milovaného kmene drakiů do lidské společnosti, aby se tam zbavila své drakijské podstaty, jak po ní chtěla matka. Nic ale neprobíhalo podle matčin představ a Jacinda se tam zamilovala...more
Krystle
When you get to the second book in a series there is a sharp drop off in quality, which is why it’s a commonly held belief that the second book is usually the worst. Now, excuse me for a moment.

FREAKING DAMMIT, THIS BOOK PISSED ME THE HELL OFF!

Jacinda, I want to throw you off a cliff, then toss you into the Arctic, and, finally, bury you underneath a glacier! Her dithering of feelings for Will and Cassian drove me crazy. She’s all, “I can’t live without Will. I have to forget him but oh I can’t!...more
Kristy
I hate to say it, but for the majority of the book I was rooting for Cassian. Primarily because I like Jacinda better when she is around him, I like how she can be herself. I enjoy how frustrated she gets at him. They have a TON of sexual tension and it just seems to ooze off the page. When she is with Will, everything seems so hard. They both seem unhappy. Jacinda is constantly worrying about the pack, knowing that they are her home, no matter what she might think she wants. This is one example...more
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Vanish Review on K-Books

Wow, I don't really know what to say about this book. I really liked it and it's fair to say that I love this series. I have never read a series about Dragons before so I find this series really original and I love the storyline.

Jacinda is back with her pride and she has to try to make them trust her again. But how can she move on like normal back into pride life when she left her heart, and Will, behind. Will she be able to forget the love that she found with Will and ge...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I've been looking forward to reading this one all summer and maybe it's my own fault for getting too hyped up in advance but I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed by Vanish. That's not to say that this book doesn't have some strong points; it does, but it's very different from the first book. There's a lot more draki content which I really enjoyed compared to Firelight which revolved primarily around Jacinda's experiences in the human world. I was happily coasting thro...more
Whitney
Slight spoilery.

Is it just me, or like....hardly anything happened in this book? I mean, yeah a few things happen. But it's like, well there should be more to that situation. :/

Although, I did like the book, I really did. It's like this book and Firelight could have been one book. It would've been more interesting the first time around. But ya know how authors and publishers are.

ANYWAY. before I start sounding more like an idiot... I liked this book because there's an original species in there....more
Amber
I was very excited to be able to get a chance to read Vanish right after I had read Firelight(Thank You Crystal). Vanish was a delightful addition to the Firelight series. This is such an original in my opinion. We see tons of books on ghosts, vampires, shapshifters, fairies etc. So when you pick up the Firelight series, we are welcomed to a fresh new genre that has not been written and re-written time and time again. Sophie Jordan invites us into the draki world with a new spin on fantasy.

Jaci...more
Denae
Well, there were dragons in it. That's probably the book's only redeeming quality. No kidding.
Love triangle? Seriously? I don't care that Jacinda really wants Will; she kisses Cassian passionately and thinks about him all the time. I disliked Jacinda. She was whiny, arrogant, and foolish. She didn't seem to really understand what was going on, or that a one-month crush was NOT true love. Brat.
The boys. Why did they like Jacinda? Especially when she tells them she isn't interested. Cassian is so...more
Ashelynn
I read FIRELIGHT and cursed the cliffhanger. Then I read VANISH and died.

Wait. That’s an exaggeration, but it’s close to how I felt!

In VANISH, the stakes are higher; Jacinda’s no longer the pride’s special drake because guess what? Her twin sister, Tamra, has manifested… and her draki is rarer than Jacinda’s. Now Cassian is eyeing Tamra, which from Firelight, we know Tamra has had a crush on Cassian for a while. This makes Tamra happy, but Jacinda can’t seem to let it go.

This could be that her...more
Mimi Valentine
A warning before you start this book: You won't be able to put it down! I made the mistake of starting it before I went to bed and ended up staying awake all night just to finish it. I've always loved dragons and this series only makes me love them more!

Vanish picks up right where Firelight left off — the gap isn't even a day! — with Jacinda and her family going back to the pride. The plot is so fast-paced and full of twists that I stayed on the edge of my seat, and there are a bunch of revelat...more
Cassian or Will 80 280 Jun 21, 2014 04:16PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Vanished By Sophie Jordan 1 2 May 30, 2014 08:05AM
Firelight: Forest 749 13 Feb 22, 2014 08:56PM
Cassian Anyone??? 6 39 Nov 18, 2013 07:31PM
Taylor Swift Cover ?? 4 37 Nov 18, 2013 06:55PM
Firelight: Vanish (book 2) 1 5 Aug 01, 2013 11:21AM
Firelight: The Diner 5 37 Jun 02, 2013 09:27AM
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2)
  • Winging It (The Dragon Diaries, #2)
  • Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Sirensong (Faeriewalker, #3)
  • Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles, #1)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years...more
More about Sophie Jordan...
Firelight (Firelight, #1) Hidden (Firelight, #3) Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1) Uninvited (Uninvited, #1) Tease (The Ivy Chronicles, #2)

“Holding a hand over my eyes, I look up at him. "Thanks, I'm glad were...friends." I say the word friends deliberately, letting the emphasis get my point across. His mouth curves with a slow smile. "I've never wanted to be your friend, Jacinda." My heart stutters in my chest. Standing in the pouring rain, I watch him walk away.” 45 likes
“Sudden conviction races through me, almost terrifying in its total certainty. I can't give him up. He's the other part of me. He gets what it feels like to be separate from everything and everyone, to reject the path others lay out for you. We're the same. Two sides to the same coin.” 29 likes