Start by marking “Investing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Investing for Dummies

Investing for Dummies

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Become a savvy investor with this updated Wall Street Journal bestseller Want to take charge of your financial future? This national bestselling guide has been thoroughly updated to provide you with the latest insights into smart investing, from weighing your investment options (such as stocks, real estate, and small business) to understanding risks and returns, managing y ...more
Published February 23rd 2009 by For Dummies (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Investing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investing for Dummies

Lauren
This is a solid 3.5 stars. A good first read if you are starting at the beginning. I now know what direction I want to move in to invest my money and I learned some new things.

The tone is very conversational and easy to understand. I'd say the small business section at the back part is the least useful and most basic, and that really the discussion of mutual finds and stocks and investing make up the best portion of this book.

I still feel the need to do some further reading, but I feel like wit
Mike
Great baseline read for those curious about investing. Not pushy towards any specific strategy and provides lots of credible resources to get more info from. Worth your time if you want to get more serious about how to get your money working for you in the market.
Trung
Ok

think twice before you buy it so you don't waste your time here
this book is ok not great
booj
Jean
I listened to the quick audiobook. Quick, informative beginner's info on the best way to start investing. If you are someone with zero knowledge about this topic, this is a good book to start with.
ReadHowYouWant
Want to take charge of your financial future? Investing for Dummies provides you with the latest insights into smart investing—weighing investment options (such as stocks, real estate, and small business), understanding risks and returns, managing your portfolio, and much more. This book has been recommended by finance experts and used extensively by institutional investors, index funds, and exchange-traded funds, and is a Wall Street Journal bestseller.
Jon Wexford
It's for dummies. That says it all.
paul
Informative

Very informative! greAt book to start the quest for investment knowledge. simple and to the point. buy and hold people! but and hold
Erin
I started reading this because I made a deal with my husband. I am not sure if I will ever completely finish this book. I honestly find most of this stuff pretty dull but the author does a good job of explaining all of the financial craziness. I find this to be a handy resource and will probably return to it at times but definitely not a read for fun kind of book.
Josh
Good little book on the basics of investing. The big message, IRAs are a great place to keep your long term investments for tax reasons. There is no reason to avoid a money market, they are extremely low risk investments. Also, buying a house is generally cheaper than renting if you stay in the same place for over 5 years. (assuming 20% down).
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember liking it, yet I can't seem to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't bad, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so three stars is probably the fairest rating I can give it.
Alex
This is regarded as one of the best investing books on the market. Eric Tyson doesn't pick stocks for the reader or engage in any other shady practice. Rather, he explains the workings of key markets and introduces some of the most reputable research tools. The author has a good sense of humor, too.
Jillian
I didn't finish this book, but it doesn't look like I'm going to. It's not a laugh a minute, but it does give a clear picture of investing in general, including some decent advice. I do wish there had been a section on Socially Responsible Investing, though, since that is mostly what I try to do.
Terrance
Okay, I only listened to the book on cd, but this is a good book to read for beginners in investing. Covers both growth and value investing, as well as gives you insight for long term investing as well. A good read for anyone who invests, but not for traders.
Melissa
There was a lot of great general information about investing in this book, but unfortunately most of the specific advice was geared only toward US residents or people who keep their money in the US, with no pointers for how to find more international resources.
Kaloyan K.
Nice read, but the book should be called "Investing for Dummies (USA Edition)" since more of the book is dedicated specifically to stuff that's US-only. Anyway, in general it paints a nice picture of all the alternatives and the risks that come with each one.
Mimi
A lot of basic information explained in a simple way. The author sometimes gets a little irritating with his irrelevant editorial asides. Also, a little outdated (mine was 1997) but the basic information re the markets, P/E, the Fed, etc. is still good.
Nick
From the first chapter, this book seems maybe a little too simple for what I'm looking for (and it's written by a guy who works for Fidelity). But it's hard to know, seeing as I don't quite know what I'm looking for exactly.
torque
Great advice for anybody. Seemingly unbiased. Although it targets Americans I'm sure everybody will benefit from the philosophy in this book. I'm sure the advice and time spend reading will easily pay back financially.
Sarah Jean
laugh all you want but i'm going to remember that when i'm a millionaire. Good for anyone who wants to learn more about how to invest in their 401k and what to do with your savings outside of your retirment.
Heather
This is the main book I recommend to friends who want to learn more about investing. It is easy to understand and gives an opinion. I have given this book to several friends as a gift.
Rex
May 25, 2008 Rex rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
Eric Tyson does a wonderful job teaching both the importance and how-to of investing. The book teaches what to invest in a uses a wholistic strategy to increase and protect investments.
Kirk Bozeman
Good book, but pretty basic. If you're looking for good basic advice on mutual funds, financial and personal benefits of starting your own business, etc. this is a great primer.
Jeremy
Painful, boring, uninteresting and difficult to understand...certainly not for dummies. For someone who was interested in investing, this turns me off to it!
Marcela
A good book for anybody interested about learning how to invest with little prior knowledge of this subject. A good book to start learning about investing.
Homa
If you're not going to read it for your own benefit, read it for Juniors. This stuff isn't rocket science, but it is tedious. This is a good hand holder.
Nancy L.
The book that saved me from unscrupulous financial planners (I'm talking about you, Ameriprise!). Buy this and get smart about your money.
Grant Downs
A great book to get started down the path of investing. Covers a lot of ground from stocks to real estate. Easy to read.
Russ
Too basic. Ok if you have no clue about simple monetary terminology, just not what I was looking for
Peregrine 12
A good way to start one's self-education in the world of long-term savings and investments.
  • Stock Investing for Dummies
  • Economics For Dummies
  • Nutrition for Dummies
  • Financial Statements: A Step-by-step Guide to Understanding and Creating Financial Reports
  • Art History For Dummies
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Psychology of Wealth: Understanding Your Relationship with Money and Achieve Prosperity
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • Bartending For Dummies
  • Classical Music for Dummies
  • Meditation for Dummies
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Project Management for Dummies
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • Cooking Basics for Dummies
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
Personal Finance for Dummies Home Buying for Dummies Mutual Funds For Dummies Personal Finance in Your 20s for Dummies Real Estate Investing For Dummies

“Collectibles have little intrinsic value and are thus subject to the whims and speculations of buyers and sellers.” 0 likes