Start by marking “Investing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Investing for Dummies

Investing for Dummies (For Dummies)

Become a savvy investor with this updated Wall Street Journal bestseller Want to take charge of your financial future? This national bestselling guide has been thoroughly updated to provide you with the latest insights into smart investing, from weighing your investment options (such as stocks, real estate, and small business) to understanding risks and returns, managing y ...more
Published February 23rd 2009 by For Dummies (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Investing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investing for Dummies

Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finish this on the flight back from Cancun. It takes some humility to read "for dummies" books but I actually learned a ton and felt that it provided a very comprehensive, easy-to-understand explanation of conservative investing principles. I learned about ETF's, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, real estate investing, small biz investing, and general principles such as diversification and risk tolerance. Tyson could have organized the book a bit better (sometimes this issue is exacerbated when readi ...more
Jillian
Mar 19, 2009 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I didn't finish this book, but it doesn't look like I'm going to. It's not a laugh a minute, but it does give a clear picture of investing in general, including some decent advice. I do wish there had been a section on Socially Responsible Investing, though, since that is mostly what I try to do.
Renee' Williams
Hard to understand.
Carlos Ramos
Jan 25, 2017 Carlos Ramos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book I read about Eryc Tyson, and I must say now I want to read other of his "For Dummies" books about finances.

A good book to serve as overview of the main classes of investing: stocks, real estate, and small business.

He does not dwelve much on the complexities of the financial stuff, like options and futures, or about other things like commodities and collectibles.

In short, he supplies some basic tips for you to start your path in any of the three most basic and kind of safe paths.

A good
Robert Barrett

Interesting .
Carson Schmeck
Feb 26, 2017 Carson Schmeck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good starting point for someone who is trying to learn the basics. It gives good advice and sets the reader up for future learning.
Berke
Apr 26, 2014 Berke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this book to learn some money saving tips and basic investing. Tyson covers many different methods of investing like bonds, real estate, stocks, money markets, etc. Some thing I was not expecting was the simple yet most effective investment possible: Investing in your health and mental/physical well being. Tyson says eating healthy, exercising, and avoiding unhealthy habits like smoking and alcohol consumption could go a long way in extending your life and substantially improving your finan ...more
Fahim
Jan 16, 2016 Fahim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Investing for Dummies is another fun-to-read book. This book teaches you about the basics of investment and it walks you through the primary steps of your first investment concepts. If you are bored of working for others and would like to know how you can invest your money for a good return, this book can show you the way.

Whether you are interested in stocks or bond, have a heart for real estate, or wish to launch a great market or product idea, then you can begin with this book.

Eric Tyson, th
Lauren
Sep 04, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid 3.5 stars. A good first read if you are starting at the beginning. I now know what direction I want to move in to invest my money and I learned some new things.

The tone is very conversational and easy to understand. I'd say the small business section at the back part is the least useful and most basic, and that really the discussion of mutual finds and stocks and investing make up the best portion of this book.

I still feel the need to do some further reading, but I feel like wit
Troy Swinehart
Decided to brush up on my investment options and realized...well I'm a dummy.

I always recommend "For Dummies..." books as they provide a great basic starting point that anyone can pick up.

I have just finished this book. Now that I have the lingo and base concepts I am ready to move on and up. Look out Wall Street Gordon Geckko....er, Troy Swinehart is back.

(FYI....Gordon Gekko is out of jail and makin' bank again....the movie "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" is coming to a theater near you. "Gr
ReadHowYouWant
Nov 18, 2009 ReadHowYouWant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to take charge of your financial future? Investing for Dummies provides you with the latest insights into smart investing—weighing investment options (such as stocks, real estate, and small business), understanding risks and returns, managing your portfolio, and much more. This book has been recommended by finance experts and used extensively by institutional investors, index funds, and exchange-traded funds, and is a Wall Street Journal bestseller.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember liking it, yet I can't seem to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't bad, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so three stars is probably the fairest rating I can give it.
Josh
Jul 12, 2010 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good little book on the basics of investing. The big message, IRAs are a great place to keep your long term investments for tax reasons. There is no reason to avoid a money market, they are extremely low risk investments. Also, buying a house is generally cheaper than renting if you stay in the same place for over 5 years. (assuming 20% down).
Alex
Oct 10, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is regarded as one of the best investing books on the market. Eric Tyson doesn't pick stocks for the reader or engage in any other shady practice. Rather, he explains the workings of key markets and introduces some of the most reputable research tools. The author has a good sense of humor, too.
Erin
Jun 22, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this because I made a deal with my husband. I am not sure if I will ever completely finish this book. I honestly find most of this stuff pretty dull but the author does a good job of explaining all of the financial craziness. I find this to be a handy resource and will probably return to it at times but definitely not a read for fun kind of book.
torque
Feb 01, 2013 torque rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great advice for anybody. Seemingly unbiased. Although it targets Americans I'm sure everybody will benefit from the philosophy in this book. I'm sure the advice and time spend reading will easily pay back financially.
Mimi
Jun 03, 2008 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of basic information explained in a simple way. The author sometimes gets a little irritating with his irrelevant editorial asides. Also, a little outdated (mine was 1997) but the basic information re the markets, P/E, the Fed, etc. is still good.
Melissa
Jan 29, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
There was a lot of great general information about investing in this book, but unfortunately most of the specific advice was geared only toward US residents or people who keep their money in the US, with no pointers for how to find more international resources.
Michelle
Dec 23, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winter2015
The book is not exactly for dummies. Some finance and accounting background are still helpful to fully understand it(thus spoke a Wharton grad). But the later chapters on pitfalls are truly for dummies and the book could have been condensed by at least a third.
Terrance
Okay, I only listened to the book on cd, but this is a good book to read for beginners in investing. Covers both growth and value investing, as well as gives you insight for long term investing as well. A good read for anyone who invests, but not for traders.
Nick
Aug 14, 2008 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
From the first chapter, this book seems maybe a little too simple for what I'm looking for (and it's written by a guy who works for Fidelity). But it's hard to know, seeing as I don't quite know what I'm looking for exactly.
Mike Buyske
Oct 28, 2014 Mike Buyske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great baseline read for those curious about investing. Not pushy towards any specific strategy and provides lots of credible resources to get more info from. Worth your time if you want to get more serious about how to get your money working for you in the market.
Kaloyan K.
Nice read, but the book should be called "Investing for Dummies (USA Edition)" since more of the book is dedicated specifically to stuff that's US-only. Anyway, in general it paints a nice picture of all the alternatives and the risks that come with each one.
Grandesuperleo
Sep 22, 2015 Grandesuperleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for novice Specially if you have no prior knowledge about anything related to investing

If you have some general info about investing the book is quite good to get more info

If your are advanced this book is clearly not for you
Jose
Mar 25, 2016 Jose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on investing basics. A little repetitive so I wouldn't recommend reading it cover to cover. Look through the table of contents at what you're interested in, and look in there. The version I read is also pretty outdated (1995).
Sarah Jean
Feb 21, 2008 Sarah Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
laugh all you want but i'm going to remember that when i'm a millionaire. Good for anyone who wants to learn more about how to invest in their 401k and what to do with your savings outside of your retirment.
Peregrine 12
A good way to start one's self-education in the world of long-term savings and investments.
Syl
Aug 19, 2014 Syl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and easy to follow.
paul
May 04, 2014 paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative

Very informative! greAt book to start the quest for investment knowledge. simple and to the point. buy and hold people! but and hold
Guangyu Shi
Nov 26, 2016 Guangyu Shi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enough to get anyone started. A bit of information overload.
  • Stock Investing for Dummies
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • Art History For Dummies
  • Starting an Online Business for Dummies
  • Cool Careers For Dummies
  • The Psychology of Wealth: Understanding Your Relationship with Money and Achieve Prosperity
  • Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Poker For Dummies
  • Time Travel
  • Dating for Dummies
  • Probability For Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Biochemistry for Dummies
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • Blogging for Dummies

“Wondering what the best ways are to invest globally?” 0 likes
“Collectibles have little intrinsic value and are thus subject to the whims and speculations of buyers and sellers.” 0 likes