Start by marking “The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3 (The Story of Saiunkoku #3)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperialcourt of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne’er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei has returned...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3

Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 by Kazue KatoBlack Butler, Vol. 05 by Yana TobosoOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 17 by Bisco HatoriNaruto, Vol. 51 by Masashi KishimotoHighschool of the Dead, Vol. 1 by Daisuke Sato
Manga realeased in America in 2011
33rd out of 73 books — 51 voters
Twelfth Night by William ShakespeareThe Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora PierceMairelon the Magician by Patricia C. WredeEona by Alison GoodmanOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco Hatori
disguises herself as a boy
16th out of 16 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Estara
This manga volume is - as far as I know - taken from the beginning of the second light novel - Shurei has left the palace but is confronted in the very first pages that her experience there has made her dream of becoming a civil servant and helping the population of the empire become so real that the usual fate of a young woman of her age and standing - marriage and a family - are just not something she can see herself grasp any-more.

I love the fact that Shurei is self-aware enough that these ar...more
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3.5/5
[Also available in my blog.]

It has taken me forever to get this volume. And I even have the next one, and have had it for months, but this one was nowhere to be found. The lack of manga availability in my area is frustrating beyond belief.

In the previous two books, I was not very impressed with this series. The language is a bit dense, and I’m not all that interested in the history, and it was just not as interesting as I wanted it to be. But I already had the fourth volume (since I found...more
Sinai C.
This book wasn't as good as the others in my opinion, because we're just getting deeper into the story, I guess. The Emperor wasn't in it as much, and though the idea of Serian/Shuri is played on by other characters...the actual two characters themselves never seem to make moves on each other, which is disappointing, though the Prince's gifts and his obvious affection for Shuri is really sweet.

Two Stars for the Artwork: It continues to be beautiful and I think, it's a little better than the ani...more
Natalie
Ok, where to begin . . . .

Well, I will start by saying that this review will go between volumes 1-5. If anybody knows any online site that goes even further than volume 5, let me know.

Anyway, I guess I should say that as sad as this is I'm still having problems with their names. I can tell the difference between characters but it's just that some names are so similar that when their names are mentioned I'm thinking, who?

Going into this series, I thought I was going to hate it. The idea that this...more
S. J.
Sep 27, 2013 S. J. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage girls, people interested in manga, fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: LIbrary; Series
I have to say, other then the fact that Shurei got to work as a civil servant in the place for a while, this book didn't interest me as much as the previous books. I think that's because what really made the story for me was the interactions between Shurei and the emperor Ryuki, how innocent and cute his were and how they really did complement each other so well. I will admit though, I HAVE to find out about the Minister of the Treasury - his mask is driving me crazy.
Mely
Apr 30, 2011 Mely marked it as read-seq-art
Shelves: manga, scanlation, shojo
Kelly Barry
Again, full of awesome character development, and while can get a little Anime-style overdramatic, it's part of the series's charm.
Leah Webber
Shurei is brought back to the palace as an emergency aid, and get to live her dream of being a civil servant for a time.
Denisse
Denisse is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
Hazel Mary Cussons
Hazel Mary Cussons marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Nasharahmohamed
Nasharahmohamed marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Sep 28, 2014
Zm Dimla
Zm Dimla marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Heidi
Heidi added it
Sep 09, 2014
Faliha
Faliha marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • A Bride's Story 02
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 6 (Library Wars: Love & War, #6)
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 11 (Dawn of the Arcana, #11)
  • Basara, Vol. 11
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 06
Also known as 由羅 カイリ
More about Kairi Yura...
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6