Start by marking “Spinky Sulks” as Want to Read:
Spinky Sulks

Spinky Sulks

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Spinky is convinced that his family hates him and goes off to sulk in his hammock. His brother and sister try to make amends. His mom even brings him a beautiful tray of food. But nothing can get Spinky to stop sulking—not even a circus passing by on his street! Will Spinky ever cheer up? Spinky Sulks is another delightful tale from the incomparable William Steig that will ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Square Fish (first published November 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Spinky Sulks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spinky Sulks

Miss Kious
Nov 18, 2011 Miss Kious rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
getting over being mad at people who you love

dealing with sensitive people - not giving up on them

treating people kindly and forgiving people
Deanna Caswell
This is not a book for modeling proper parenting and child behavior. I think that might be why I like it. Polarizing.
Josiah
Apr 26, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's easy to be injured by this world, even by those closest to oneself, and to feel the powerful pull to respond by withdrawing from the source of that pain. Spinky encounters exactly this in Spinky Sulks.

Spinky really is an especially sensitive boy who feels that he can't abide the slights that he perceives his family to have committed against him. Therefore, he sits alone outside the house and refuses to speak to them, even when his brother and sister and both parents apologize to him for w
Elayna Gilbert
I enjoyed this book a lot because it showed two different sides to Spinky. He is a very sensitive person yet also has a sometimes careless side. The comments made by his siblings and parents are very funny and the ending is humorous. They illustrations are great conversation starters with preschoolers. The pictures also raise a ton of questions for the children and are great discussion questions. I would use this in my classroom as a story book time and ask many open ended questions. I also real ...more
Ilana Waters
Dec 02, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! As an especially sensitive person (ahem), I sympathize with Spinky's plight. Yet I also see his unreasonableness in failing to forgive his "tormentors." I liked how the author presented both sides of the story--sensitive Spinky versus his sometimes careless family. Readers will laugh at the ending . . . and smile at the inevitable.
T Crockett
The comments made by the siblings and parents are really funny. The illustrations (from a parade to sleeping in a hammock in the rain) are great conversation starters with preschoolers. Of course those same pictures raise some interesting questions, like "What's in the daddy's mouth?" (a pipe).
Anja Manning
Oct 15, 2012 Anja Manning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a funny and wise story about sulking and its effects. I probably should have read that when I was a kid. The story becomes more extreme as it goes on and Spinky misses out on a lot of fun stuff. But boy does he make up in the end!
Dave
Apr 02, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story about family relationships and forgiveness!
Alissa D
Mar 11, 2013 Alissa D rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spinky! Pull it together, man!
Lev Abrasha
Mar 26, 2015 Lev Abrasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like when Spinky threw out the flowers that Willamina gave him. And that's all. I liked when Spinky was a clown. Today I sulked after school because I wanted to be bought an umbrella.
Meredith Edwards
An honest to G-d masterpiece. I would be suspicious of anyone who doesn't like this book.
Yingyi
Sep 18, 2014 Yingyi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Don't like the ending. Not a good modeling of proper parenting.
Cindy
Apr 30, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man I often feel like Spinky sometimes so I can relate.
Rachel
Feb 25, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
........
Bree
Jul 07, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
books like this do more harm than good sometimes; my kids would learn some pretty negative behavior from this story; "Alexander" by Viorst is better and not so morose
Nora
Jun 26, 2013 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp
This kid is a putz, he is entirely spoilt, and instead of being pandered to he needed a kick in the pants.
Christine
Sooo funny. Also really funny are the negative reviews of this book on Amazon.
Hehe...this one made me laugh. I was a big sulker as a child, you see.
Cana
Jul 29, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me of me sometimes when Spinky got all grumpy.
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Vicky Hunt
Vicky Hunt rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Tracey Hecht
Tracey Hecht rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Meghan Farnsworth
Meghan Farnsworth marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Lara
Lara added it
Jan 25, 2016
C.
C. rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Anya Harmon
Anya Harmon rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Maritza Arteaga
Maritza Arteaga rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • The Storm Book
  • Strega Nona Meets Her Match
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • The Quilt Story
  • Ruby The Copycat
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl (Young American Voices, #1)
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • Blackout
  • Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...