Start by marking “10,000 Dreams Interpreted, or What's in a Dream” as Want to Read:
10,000 Dreams Interpreted, or What's in a Dream

10,000 Dreams Interpreted, or What's in a Dream

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The most comprehensive and thorough study of dreams. Original edition.
Published February 1st 1973 by RAnd McNally & Company (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about 10,000 Dreams Interpreted, or What's in a Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10,000 Dreams Interpreted, or What's in a Dream

Nikki Nielsen
I look at this book everytime I go to Barnes and Noble and I finally bought it. I have looked up my dreams for the last few nights and so far learned that dreaming of going to the dentist means I doubt the sincerity and honor of someone, hearing a serenade means anticipations will not fail me, cutting down a tree means I am wasting my energy (maybe looking up my dreams is the waste of energy? :), and dreaming of living in a castle means I have prospects of being a great traveler.

There is nothin
Creative Choices
I purchased this book because of my interest in the topic and the beauty of the book. The introduction is complete and interesting. The layout of the book gives the reader ease of use, the topics are extensive, easy to locate with a comprehensive cross reference throughout the book. The beauty of the book is what makes it stand out among similar titles. It is unfortunate that the positive aspects of this book stop there.

I have spent extensive time studying the mind from many aspects, everything
Morgan
People come to me with their dreams, asking for interpretation. Sometimes I'm asked what my references are for dream interpretation and I admit that they are internal—intuition and insight into the analogies of the subconscious. Occasionally I come across a book on dream interpretation, like this one, and I'm reminded why I don't use them. Firstly, no book knows what's going on in any given dreamer's awake life, hence the dictionary definitions of what a dream's various elements might mean is li ...more
Michele
I've had this book since I was in the 9th grade when I became interested in the concept of prophetic dreaming. Sure dreams are a representation of your psyche and mind, but is it possible that the mind not only has a 'psychic' ability (or prophetic) but it's an ability that perhaps repress, only to expressed via our dreams? After all, what we psychologically repress comes out in our dreams (or can), so why not this?

The tricky thing is not all dreams are of a prophetic nature, and the book is cle
Eva Leger
Apr 20, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: b-non-fiction
I've only flipped through this at times but after seeing what I've seen, which wasn't much, I've come to the hopeful conclusion that this must be one of the poorer dream interpretation books out there. I certainly hope this isn't the cream of the crop because if it is I'm sticking with my own conclusions.
Unless you're trying to find "falling" or "spiders" you'll be out of luck and that's very childish. I wanted more in depth interpretations and I wanted to be able to delve deeper into dreams I
mairywo
I bought this at a goth store waiting for a friend who couldn't decide whether or not she wanted a really interesting belt (she didn't in the end).[return]I only pick up this book about every half year as I usually can't remember my dreams. And if I do remember them, only one in every dozen or so is disturbing or weird enough that I want to know what it means. More often than not I'm not satisfied with the answers this book gives me, but that could either be because I don't really believe in it ...more
Regina Hunter
Shelia Timmons
I like to read dream dictionaries so I really liked this book. It has some old-fashioned interpretations, but that is why I like this book. I collect dream dictionaries, so if you do this one is a must have. I also love all the dream quotes from the Bible.

"And it shall come to pass in the last days," saith God, "I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." -- Acts 2:17

One of
Johnflynch
This book, and every book like it, is epic bunk. dreams cannot be interpreted this way because people create their own symbols unintentionally. the only way a book like this could be correct is if the readers subconscious assimilated the information and applied it. which is possible but 1. unlikely and 2. makes the content a self fulfilling prophecy which is of little personal use.
erin
bathroom reader.
so everything in this book is totally bizarre and every dream you ever have is bad...someone will die, or you will have ugly children, or you will lose all your money with just about anything you have a dream about.
but at the same time it's also hilarious! i try to find the most bizarre dream analyses ever when i'm taking a....well you get my drift. :)
Marian Yee
Appreciative and thankful for the attempt to list and categorize dreams. Unfortunately, many of us have dreams that cannot be found in the book.
Sometimes a dream could be categories in two different areas and the interpretation is too vague or confusing to make any sense. Perhaps, another follow-up edition is needed.
Jodi Velazquez
If you want to have fun - get this book! After awakening and remembering your dream you can look up the true meaning of the dream and see what is really on your mind. So many times I had to laugh at how my mind turned my daily problems into a comical dream. The only negative aspect is that some nights I don't dream!
Audra
Interesting. It left out sexual dreams. It was very good for compiling the different possibilities in one place saving readers the research. I admit to skipping the history part as I felt it wasn't needed.
Apr 16, 2010 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Katie Kirk
Great dream reference introduced to me by a former roomie. Biblical refrences. I miss picking it off her shelf after a night of dreaming. Time is overdue for me to get my own copy!
Simon
Jan 01, 2011 Simon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Simon by: Kayla
it was cool to understand a few things about my dreams and I was very shocked when somethings actually turned out the way it was described. It's an entertaining read.
♥adrienne♥
I have to say that it really frustrates me when I can't find the dream I am looking for in this book. It happens a lot. When I do it's good though.
Sandra
This is a dictionary of dreams in order by words so you can search for items alphabetically.

More of a reference type of book than a reader.
robin
really cool, fun, and interesting, but not necessarily to be taken seriously in light of modern science. still worth a look, just for novelty's sake.
April
Its a beautiful book, but I don't find dream dictionaries that useful.
Heather Moss
Always fun to mine dreams for symbolism and use them in poems.
Rachel
The best dream interpretation book I've come across.
Anthony Rice
Utterly useless book. Curiosity value only.
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good book for basic dream interpritation.
Laurie Stoll
More reference than reading material.
Kate Zirkle
Very fun reference book.
Mo
Okay, but I've seen better.
Briánna
Sep 04, 2011 Briánna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Briánna by: friend
Pretty cool. Interesting.
Christa
Of course, you can't believe everything you read. This book has a great mix of interpretations complete with appealing photos. I've used this book well over the years and I can't think of one dream that I've remembered to not be in this book. Which is quite impressive to me.
Autumn
Fun to read and try to interpret your own dreams... I always have crazy dreams and found this book super cheap in a bargain bookstore. I'm a dream nerd and figured, why not get a dream book? The only thing about this one, it's severely outdated! Also, for listing 10,000 dreams, it doesn't include a lot of things I frequently dream about.

It's fun and entertaining to look through and would making for good conversation if you're terrible at small talk, like me, but other than that, only every once
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Forgot where I got this. Probably a bookstore or sale. But had this one for as long as I can remember. This was good, interesting but good.
  • Dream Dictionary: An A to Z Guide to Understanding Your Unconscious Mind
  • Psychologist's book of self-test: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests
  • Guinness World Records 2000: Millennium Edition
  • Numerology, the Complete Guide: Volume 1
  • I Want to Kill the Dog
  • The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary
  • The Man Who Tasted Shapes
  • Wizards and Witches (The Enchanted World Series)
Dictionary of Dreams (Wordsworth Reference) (Wordsworth Collection) 12,000 Dreams Interpreted: A New Edition for the 21st Century 10,000 Dreams and Their Traditional Meanings 10,000 Dreams Interpreted (Annotated) plus Dream Physcology Made Easy Dream Dictionary

“Dreams are rudiments of the great state to come. We dream what is about to happen.''—BAILEY,” 0 likes
“The objective mind is most active when the body is awake. The subjective influences are most active, and often fill the mind with impressions, while the physical body is asleep. The spiritual intelligence can only intrude itself when the human will is suspended, or passive to external states. A man who lives only on the sensual plane will receive his knowledge through the senses, and will not, while in that state, receive spiritual impressions or warning dreams.” 0 likes