Start by marking “Monkey Truck” as Want to Read:
Monkey Truck

Monkey Truck

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Monkey Truck is a truck with a mission. He's on the lookout for all sorts of jungle bungles -- there are chameleons to rescue before they are squashed, snakes to untangle, and hippos to pull free. And look out for that TSUNAMI! This playful picture book, with its chant-along language and plucky pictures, is perfect for little ones who like trucks and animals (probably the ...more
Published January 18th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Truck

Jordan
May 01, 2014 Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dada Enthusiasts; monkeys, trucks, and/or monkey-trucks
T.G.I.M.T. (Thank Godz It's Monkey Truck.)

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Danica Midlil
Great rythym and ryhme in the story. Excellent pictures show the energy of the characters. And the vocabulary is nice and juicy, and there's a great silliness about the whole thing, but the main character? A sentient truck which looks like a monkey? I just don't get it. Maybe that's because I'm not a four year old BOY? I think it would work well in storytime and it would be interesting to find out if little ones liked the idea of a monkey truck hero.
paula
Monkey Truck IS a three- or four-year-old boy, on the go, got his own business to attend to, not even stopping for a banana. Respect that tiny agenda, wonder what world that little guy is in.

Also, the dedication of this book is a marriage proposal. Stephanie, I sure hope you said yes!
Molly
It's a monkey... and a truck... okaaaaay. It was alright, besides having to explain what a tsunami was. That might've been a poor choice. But the kids liked it, and it reads well out loud.
Tasha
Whenever there is trouble in the jungle, Monkey Truck races to the rescue! He saves small lizards from crushing elephant feet. He rescues big hippos from a shrinking and muddy water hole. He grinds gears to get the job done with his truck bed filled to bursting. He is Monkey Truck! Fueled by bananas and always ready to go, he is the hero of the jungle.

This book grew on me once I got into the story. It has a frenetic pace that toddler will enjoy immensely. It also obviously has its own screwball
Erin
I like this book, but I'm not sure what the point of it is. Monkey Truck can do all sorts of things and helps in all sorts of ways. But why in the world would there be a half monkey/half truck living in the jungle? If there had been a boy at the end pretending with a toy or two, I would understand.

Okay for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Vivian
Our story time theme combined "Curious George" with "Fire Safety". This story was perfect for both themes, as "Monkey Truck" is all about coming to the RESCUE! The children loved all of monkey's close calls and rescues.
Milo Lamar
This is one of those books I can liken to the film "Neoplian Dyanamite." I did not like it at first, but the more I read it, the more it grows on me and becomes an inside joke within the family.
Denise
I thought it unrealistic, but my 5-year-old loved it. Use your deepest voice to exclaim, "Monkey Truck!"
Lisa
uh oh bippo, ah ah- from my one year old on repeat
Sylvester
3* art
3* story

Lots of giggles when we read this one.
Guen
Great for a 2-year-old boy or girl who loves trucks!
April Thompson
Monkey on a mission. Read this. Read this now.
Five stars for absurdity.
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from our local library this week, because, well, monkey AND truck.

This book was a load of near-rhyme, strange rhythm silliness. That is not necessarily a criticism. I didn't enjoy this book, or even "get" this book, at all, but my son seemed to find parts of it hilariously funny. That's fine -- a monkey truck that zooms around the jungle rescuing other animals is certainly a positive role model for any child.
Ally
Toddler tale, verse, funny.
Courtney
Little boys love monkeys and trucks, so combining the two is a stroke of genius. Bobo loved this book. Monkey truck is a hero of the jungle. The illustrations remind me of late 90s cartoons, think SpongeBob. The pages are thicker than regular pages, but thinner than a board book. It is a happy medium for the little ones who are over board books, but may still tear regular pages.
Jennifer Heise
My toddler loved this; I wanted to throw it out the window. The monkey truck is kind and generous and saves his fellow jungle residents, but the drawing style itched my eyes, especially because I kept trying to figure out how the Monkey Truck worked at all. Best seen as a child pretending to be a Monkey and a Truck at the same time. Reasonable reading rhythm for the reader-out-loud.
Mary Ann
This book is constructed of sturdy paper and has such colorful illustrations that young children, especially boys, are sure to be engaged with the antics of a jungle critter that seems to be a complete ‘911’ rescue team comprised of only one single monkey!
Melanie
What's a "four-wheeled banana-eating machine"? The Monkey Truck of course! This is great book for young readers. Kids can help make the truck noises as Monkey tries (and succeeds) to save the hippos. Great for toddler read-aloud storytimes.
Patty Schuster
Short but easy book for children to read. Very colorful with illustrations all over the pages. Preschoolers would enjoy this silly book about different animals and a monkey who looks like a small truck and who helps other animals in the jungle.
Sarah Sammis
It's a little weird reading a book about a monkey shaped truck saving animals from a tsunami in a year where a huge tsunami ravaged northern Japan. I know the book isn't a response to that event; it's just uncanny timing.
Kim
This is one of the strangest children's books ever. He's a monkey and a truck. He saves Hippos from a Tsunami.

Kids will love it for the rhyme, the animals, and the truck, but all I can do is say...huh?
Mary Ann
zoom, zoom! lots of fun! a bit frenetic, but would be great to do with lots of sound effects and zooming around of a little stuffed animal. Can't you just see making a monkey truck puppet??!!
This is kind of a strange book, but I think little kids will get this. The monkey is a truck that runs around and gets into things and helps people. Also it eats bananas and has gas (haha)
Tom
For story corner: Lots of action, and some kids got into it ("Oh no, that elephant's going to squash that bug [chameleon]") Worked fairly well, very short.
Kelly Carey
This book will make kids bubble with laughter and the lucky reading adult will find that laughter infectious! Who wouldn't want a Monkey Truck?
Mary
"A monkey with a mission--WOW, he sure is fast.
His overdrive engine burns BANANA GAS. TOOT!"

Who wouldn't love a book with lines like that?
Barb
Little boys in my storytime loved this. Who couldn't love a truck that looks like a monkey, and a book with lots of action!!
Leah
Fun book. Especially the young boys in my class. Great read-aloud because it is fun, bright, simple, and has an upbeat pace.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Pass It On!
  • The Birthday Box
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Demolition
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Bee & Bird
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Hopper and Wilson
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
  • Tyrannosaurus Dad
  • My Truck is Stuck!
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Dinotrux
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
Elecopter Ick!: The Game Amazing Insects Magnetic Build-it Construction 100 Piece Puzzle Tin Dinosaurs Magnetic Build-its