Start by marking “The Unmasking of a Lady” as Want to Read:
The Unmasking of a Lady

The Unmasking of a Lady

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's common knowledge that Lady Arabella Knightley spent her early years in London's gutters. But what the Ton doesn't know is that, while she dances prettily by day, by night she helps the poor—stealing jewels from those who court her for her money but disdain her for her past….

Bored by polite society, Adam St. Just determines to expose the thief. Upon discovering it's Ar
Mass Market Paperback
Published November 1st 2010 by harlequin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Unmasking of a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unmasking of a Lady

Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
It's not everyday that I discover a new author full of talent, creating characters with passion, depth, intelligence, and a great sense of humor.

However, the back blurb made the hero, Adam St.Just, to sound more rakish than he actually is, which is another reason why I adore him so much.

Lady Arabella Knightley is unlike any heroine I've ever read. She's a born and bred lady, granddaughter to an earl, yet she has lived in the London slums with her mother, and as such made the subject of much dis
Miranda Davis
Oct 23, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Regency romance fans who like mature H/hs
Recommended to Miranda by: Mary C's review of it
4.5 stars. Another story well told with the same sort of premise as another of her novels, A Spinster's Secret. (A resourceful woman on the outskirts of Society with a secret identity she's assumed to fund her pet project; meanwhile the hero's falling in love with her even as he decides to unmask this mystery person...) Despite the similarities of premise which usually bug me, I'm a fan of this author. Both stories were great fun to read. Perhaps if I'd read this first, it'd be my favorite. Then ...more
Ritsky
This is my second Emily May book.

Surprisingly, I like it better than The Earl's Dilemma. Usually I tend to avoid books with too many spies/undercover/intrigues, including masked thieves. However, I enjoy reading the book. At least I feel that the story progress naturally.

There are many scenes from hero's POV, including the hero's feeling for the heroine (which is not ALL lust at first sight) and his struggle to finally accept that feeling. I particularly like how Ms May describes the changing
I do love a lady thief, so this was a fun read. If you like Courtney Milan, I think you'd enjoy this.
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Jultri
Beautifully written, with fleshed our protagonists and an equal blend of humour and angst. Bella, daughter of destitute lady-turned-prostitute, joined the household of her paternal grandfather, an earl, when she was 12 upon the death of her mother. Somewhat looked down upon by the rest of the Ton, she was further ostracised and made a laughing stock during her first season following the insensitive and ill-thought derogative comments of Adam St Just, who rejected any idea of marriage to her due ...more
Yes, yes and yes! I loved how the H/h based their impressions on one another based on hearsay to then get completely demolished once they got to know one another.

The running theme of this one I thought was about rumors, judging someone you don't know and it's effects on others.

I wasn't expecting the heroine's awful childhood. I got the sense it was rough, but definitely not to the exact that it was.

I loved the heroine's extracurricular activities and the fact that the hero admired "Tom". I lo
Erica Anderson
This is an atypical Regency in that it deals with an issue similar to that May wrote about in Beauty and the Scarred Hero--the effects of gossip. A few thoughtless words from our hero brands our heroine, Arabella Knightley, as a virtual outcast. The plot of the book deals with the aftermath and follows Arabella as she burgles the homes of the ton in a private campaign to right the petty cruelties inflicted by the upper ten thousand.

I don't feel that this is as strong a book as some of May's othe
Griffinyarn
This book had me near tears so many times... Loved it!!
Angt27
Interesting plot line that has much more depth and is much more strongly developed than many other historical mills and boon plots. Very enjoyable, particularly the way that she proves she is his equal rather than he just submits to her because he loves her. Also found some of the social backdrop to the story interesting - a reminder that while we enjoy reading about the rich and privileged, others also existed then.
Tasneem
I enjoy Emily May's style of writing. Tom was such a super thief, and the story of Arabella and Adam was wonderfully played against the horrors of regency London's poverty and deprivation. The contrasts were well done and I ended up liking them both and wanting to shake them both in turn. Lovely and entertaining for a Sunday afternoon read.
Carrie
I think this was the first book I ever read by Emily May and I really enjoyed it! The cover art isn't my favorite, but the story was fantastic! I really enjoyed all the characters and Bella's backstory was unique and interesting. The interplay with her struggle over marrying Adam was nicely done and believable. Highly recommended over all!
Cherish
D.B. Tait
Emily has become an auto-buy author for me after this book. Terrific historical detail.
Keziah
Ruth
Nefise
Nefise marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Midalis Douglas
Midalis Douglas marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Paddy
Paddy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kathi
Kathi marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Emily May grew up in a house full of books—her mother worked as a proofreader and librarian, and her father is a well-known New Zealand novelist. Emily has studied a wide number of subjects, including geology and geophysics, canine behavior and ancient Greek. Her varied career includes stints as a field assistant in Antarctica and a waitress on the Isle of Skye. Most recently she has worked in the ...more
More about Emily May...
The Earl's Dilemma Beauty and the Scarred Hero Lady By Day/Beauty And The Scarred Hero/The Unmasking Of A Lady Summer Blockbuster (Sweet Surrender, Sweet Surprise; Public Marriage, Private Secrets; The Unmasking of a Lady; The Cinderella Bride) Historical Saison Band 22