Start by marking “Broken Wings” as Want to Read:
Broken Wings

Broken Wings

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  18 reviews
An electrifying novel of intrigue, "Broken Wings" moves beyond the authors' "New York Times" bestselling nonfiction -- and takes readers along on a furious psychological duel between the nation's top profiler and a ruthless criminal mastermind.The director of the FBI is dead. Officially it's being called suicide; unofficially, it's a murder. On the first morning of his ret ...more
Published February 27th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Wings

An FBI thriller about, uh, FBI thriller things. The Director is murdered and there’s internal politics and a survivalist militia group and an international crime syndicate. You know.

Okay, just so we’re all clear. John Douglas is one of the authors of this book. He is also one of the founders of the FBI’s Behavioral Sciences Unit, and a groundbreaking profiler. He’s arrogant, self-righteous, and extraordinarily talented almost enough to justify both. He’s a legend in the field and to those of us
Ed Wyrd
Exciting thriller about an FBI profiler, Jake Donovan written by an actual profiler. Jake is the head of the profiler department until an incident involving a militia group puts him at odds with the FBI Director. Jake is fired, but the first day of retirement, he's called in to help investigate the FBI Director's apparent suicide.

The novel has a lot of action and delves into the world of profiling daily realistically, I'm assuming. My only issue is -- SPOILER ALERT -- even though it comes out i
I believe if I could I would have rated this a 2.5 or 2.75. This is my second book by these authors, I believe they do a much better job at nonfiction then fiction. Great concept just seemed predictable, and very few grab your attention.
Note to self: just because you like someone's non-fiction doesn't mean their fiction will be worth the three hours it takes to read a book like this...
Stick with the non-fiction. Douglas is not much of a writer. The non-fiction is enough to interest the reader, but the fiction is pretty awful.
Anyone who is interested in criminal profiling knows who John Douglas is. And Mark Olshaker is the author who pulls Douglas’s stories together. But did you know they collaborated on a novel in 1999?

I read Mindhunter (1995) and couldn’t get enough. Then I read Journey Into Darkness (1997), and still was pretty impressed. Then came Obsession (1998) and Anatomy of a Motive (1999). I started thinking, gee, John Douglas had all these adventures in the FBI, but he seems to be telling the same stories
This was OK. I found some parts ridiculously far -fetched but not bad overall.

Jake Donovan is an FBI profiler, after a botched raid which wasn't exactly his fault, he gets retired by the Director. Director then commits suicide - or did he?

A rich woman provides financial backing and equipment for a private specialist team, lead by Donovan to investigate the death and various other things -

Donovan's Flying Squad is awfully like The A-Team even down to one member having a fear of flying. Except th
Fredrick Danysh
Jake Donovan is in forced retirement from The FBI's Profiling unit. In California a man is dead in bed, an apparent suicide. Davenport is recalled from retirement and sent to California to investigate in what will turn out to be his most dangerous case.
Another psycological duel but the last half is pretty good. The FBI director is dead supposedly a suicide. Jake Donovan retires (forced) but is secretly equipped with a plane, lab & headquarters and puts together a team of "broken wings" (damaged-goods agents like himself who have been frozen out of the FBI)to follow the trail as to why and how he was killed.
It was... OK. There were a couple parts where I might consider the book a "page-turner" but not enough to make it worthy of a re-read or to encourage others to read this book. I typically love books by John Douglas but this was my first time reading a fiction novel by him. I think I'll stick with his non-fiction books.
Not a bad first novel for Douglas. Obviously a wish fulfillment novel as the protagonist is a thinly veiled Douglas himself. And an obvious series opener. The plot was interesting and the writing good, but not great. I'll try the second (and only other) book in the series.
Engrossing. Some bad language and behavior [even from the "heroes"]. Aside from that excellent! Gives insight into many aspects of crime fighting.
I actually loved this book. I love the tough guy with the bag full of weapons and the idea of a modern day superhero team coming together to solve crimes.
Lots of interesting FBI profiling information. I am looking forward to the second book!
A lil different from what I'm used to, but enjoyed totally!
Laurie Stoll
Good reading. Kept wanting to turn the page and keep reading.
had to read it since i had read most of his nonfiction. it was fun.
Paul Bork
A good FBI procedural,especially criminal profiling.
Emily Wells
Emily Wells marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Katerina Mp
Katerina Mp marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sonya Wanvig
Sonya Wanvig marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Cassie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Cleo Patra
Cleo Patra marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
KaBrinna Splain
KaBrinna Splain marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Criminal Psychology And Personality Profiling (Forensics: The Science Of Crime Solving)
  • Profiling: The Psychology of Catching Killers
  • Practical Homicide Investigation: Tactics, Procedures, and Forensic Techniques
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • Worth the Fighting for: A Memoir
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • Criminal Profiling: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • More Joy of Sex
  • Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones
  • What Scares You The Most? (Nightmare Room Thrillogy, #2)
  • The Risk Agent (Risk Agent, #1)
  • Tempted
  • Genghis Khan: Conqueror of the World
  • Home Again at Last
  • PB the 13th (Pugad Baboy, #13)
  • On Sex and Human Loving
John Edward Douglas is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent, one of the first criminal profilers, and criminal psychology author. He also wrote four horror novels in the mid 1990s.

More about John E. Douglas...
Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit The Cases That Haunt Us The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals Journey Into Darkness Obsession