Start by marking “The Real” as Want to Read:
The Real

The Real

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  33 reviews
THE REAL is first and foremost a fictitious mystery. Contained within is a whodunit murder but in the composite THE REAL is a complex weave of several subplots that bring together strong elements of adventure, thrills, the supernatural, and romantic interest that in the end converge in a way guaranteed to surprise and amaze even the most insightful readers. THE REAL is a d ...more
Published August 6th 2010 by Nighttime Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real

Worldly Woman
This book touched me in a deep place inside in a way that is a little hard to communicate, so much so that I am writing this review, even though I am the type that NEVER participates in any type of public forum. I am stepping out of character for this particular title because I don't want to deprive readers who might otherwise not choose to read THE REAL because of a lack of input from others like me.
I did not choose this book based on the other, mostly positive reviews on goodreads.com, though
Joan
I absolutely loved THE REAL. The author writes with a style I would describe as thoughtful, intelligent, and descriptive. The plot is complex in that it has several storylines whose relationships are not at all obvious until the revealing at the highly climatic ending. If you like to be challenged by the storyteller to decipher the mysteries through clues that are not always obvious, you'll probably like this book. If you'd rather be spoon-fed the clues that point toward the ending,you'd best lo ...more
Terry
Definitely a book written from the male perspective. Jeremy (the main character) is a genuine human being with faults, esp. in respect to his vulnerability to a beautiful but bad-to-the-bone woman. Female readers may not be endeared to him at first because of his indiscretions but they will gain a rare glimpse into the thought processes that allow men to get caught in the "seduction trap".

Insightful, thought-provoking, well-written, will recommend to friends.
Tina Marie Lees
The Real was a suspenseful read that left me wanting to read more. This book exposed the human mind of curiosity that caused the main character to be sucked into a world that he never knew. Several poor decisions made by the character that illustrated the flawed mindset of humanity. Curiosity caused him to lose grip of all that he worked for and all that he wanted most, beyond the physical urges that his body betrayed him with.

The story line was well written and it led the reader to be consumed
John
I never would have finished this if I weren't stubborn and hadn't borrowed it for free on my Kindle. From the stilted language to the unbelievable dialogue to the laborious exposition, I cannot recommend it.
Donna Dishman
I could have given this book a 3.5 . I liked it although at times it was boring and highly unlikely but I liked the story line and wish I could find the real the way they did.
Susan
This book is terrible and I regret the time that it took me to read it. The characters are ridiculous. As post graduate students they waiver between junvile and stupid - something a post graduate student is not having reached that level of academic study. Their motivations are puerile and do not hang well. The writing was often repetitive and simple dreadful. The reason this is one of the worse books I've ever read is because I did actually want to know what was going on despite having to read a ...more
YouKneeK
The Real is a supernatural mystery with quite a few clichés. The tragedy in the woods. The mysterious deaths that have occurred in the same woods since then. The mysterious older man who seems to know what’s going on but of course talks in riddles. The curious young man who can’t resist digging into things he’s warned to stay away from.

I detested Jeremy, the aforementioned curious young man who was the main character in the story. I think he was supposed to be a likeable, sympathetic character,
Mitzi
This book was slow getting to the point. I couldn't finish it. I did give it my 100 page try. When seven hippies burned to death 39 years ago in a tragic fire, a ghost story was spawned. The legend, passed down by students at the local University, centers on Claire Wales, also know as the Hippie Queen. Graduate student Jeremy Spires thinks nothing of the tale until he stops on a deserted road to help a stranded motorist, an odd man named Grady, who retells the ghost story as if it and the Hippie ...more
Brittany
Absolutely fantastic, but perhaps best appreciated by more the more attentive and attuned readers.

Deep, intelligent and mind-bending, but you better pay attention because there is no filler in this novel. Even the descriptive portions in the early going, the parts about Sticks River Road and the break in the road, and the cryptic musings of the Grady character, some of which one might be tempted to skim over should not be overlooked. Every detail has meaning, there must be 1000 subtle clues that
Sue
I used to finish every book I started. Now that I'm on the other side of middle age, I've decided that life's just too short. I could not get into this book. I didn't care about the characters and the plot seemed thin and fairly predictable. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but it just didn't seem worth the time.
Denise
This book, The Real, was not a bad read. But for me I felt like the book dragged on. So much is happening while the story progresses but it isn't too confusing. The way the story came together was well written and well thought out. I enjoyed the characters. Over all this book is a good read. I give this book 3 1/2 stars.
Jeff Miller
This is a thriller with supernatural and science fiction aspects to it. The story centers around a graduate student who starts to investigate a local legend of the Hippie Queen and the resulting deaths in the forest. The story keeps a nice pace throughout providing a lot of suspense and paths for guesswork as to who is really involved and how it was all going to turn out. This story totally dragged me in and instead of putting the book away for the night I sacrificed some sleep time to finish it ...more
Randy Mason
Not your typical mystery! I have become a voracious reader since my retirement last year, mostly in the Thriller/Mystery genres. Most of these have become predictable and non-thought prevoking. THE REAL does not fall into this trap. It keeps you on the edge of your seat with twists and turns that keeps you guessing until the end and beyond with a perfect setup for the sequel. I can't wait!
I met the author at a book signing in Southaven,MS and was intrigued by his sincerity and unassuming person
Carol
2.5 stars Interesting premise although not that well written. It was choppy, never sure of the primary story, none of the characters were likable, the bio chem details were confusing and some of the tangential stories did not add to the flow.
The ending was not all that predictable (which is good) but somewhat staid. It was not a fast read as some parts required re-reading to comprehend what was going on.

I rcvd kindle book as free download a while ago and it had been sitting on my device for a w
Debi Ash
I really wanted to give the book a higher rating, although I do like it-there are some issues with it. The storyline jumped to much from one thing to another. I love background filler in books, as long as its relevant. There are too many developing characters; very confusing in first half. The concept behind the book is great but it takes way too long to get to the point. A good read for when you are waiting for your fav authors next book but not quite strong enough to be on my favorites list.
Anita Schaeffer
I think that The Real by James Cole is one of the best books I have ever read!!! It is a very hard to lay the book down and walk away from it to go to work and other daily tasks we have to do. I love the action and murder and learning about the Hippy Queen. I will buy any other book that this author has to offer. I recieved my copy of The Real as a gift and what a great gift it turned out to be!!! Anyone who likes mystery, action, adventure, good charater's you have to read this book.
Theresa Lovett
Story is just captivating enough to keep interest just enough to finish the book. I got the impression the author was trying way too hard to write an exciting story and it just didn't work. A big flop. Story was very slow to get started; I almost gave up on it early on. Not worth wasting time over. I suppose it was free for a reason....
Kim
Quick thoughts: didn't like the rapid wrap-up of the ending. The reason the victim was murdered was a bit much, as the reader doesn't get too much insight into the murderer. "Inexplicity" is different (and not even a word). "Inexplicably" is what the writer was looking for. There were a lot of holes, and a general rushed feel to it.
Julie
My review would have been higher except the ending completely fell off! We don't know what happens with the police, we don't know where Jeremy and Jinni end up going, if they ever again run into Monika....After such an interesting and detailed book, it was like James Cole got tired and just ended it.
Cheryl
This sounded like such a cool and interesting book, but it fell flat. I figured out who the "bad guy" was early on and there was really very little mystery to solve. I also got a distinctly Christian feel which wouldn't bother me so much if it actually came out and said that was what it was.
Vicki Scullion
Very interesting mystery plot with elements of the supernatural. I thought the twist at the end was very well written; I didn't see what was coming at all! Thoroughly enjoyable book, although you will have to focus carefully to catch all of the nuances of the possibly too-complex plot.
Terry Parrish
Feb 25, 2012 Terry Parrish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Terry by: Saw it here on Goodreads
Loved this book. Very different from what I usually read. Its interesting and intriguing at the same time. Could'nt read fast enough to get to the end. Would recommend it to everyone who loves a good story that keeps you involved. Will be watching for more books from Mr. Cole.
Tracey Hunt
really bad book, i never usually give bad ratings but this time is different. the book was all over the place and has way too many boring parts to keep ones interest. had to plug through it
Stopped reading. Horrible writing, derivative plot, tragic use of cliches. The literary (and I use the word loosely) equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard. How did this get published?
Kelly Ewing
slow build up to the main action, but a good read if you can get past the first half of the book. The first half of the book is a little tedious, but if you can push through, it is a good story.
I read a review saying this was like a life changing mystery book, so I had big expectations. It definitely didn't live up. Somewhat interesting premise, but very predictable and unbelievable.
Nicole
This was an alright book. The plot was good, and the characters were good too, but there was a little too much inner dialogue with the main character.
Like the plot....liked the characters....hated the fact that it took SO long for this science grad student to figure it out!!!!
Allegra
Pretty suspenceful, but I definitely figured out most of the end about halfway through the book!
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • Malice
  • Fated
  • The Ghost Ship
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Countermeasure (Countermeasure, #1)
  • The Black Witch
  • The Island of Ted
  • Mindbenders
  • Cades Cove: The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove, #1)
  • The Noon God
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • The Lady Series
  • Throne
  • Sweetwater American
Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon To Feed by Day Brave Passenger: Poems Othello Dark Corner (The Adventures of Robin Wingfield)